Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread >

Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread

Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 05:30 PM
  #6481  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (127)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 506
Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by krash'um View Post
Ran my 8ight 2.0 with Losi econversion for the first time today and it performed great as expected I run a RX8/T8 1900kv, 4s with a 15 pinion, the only concern I have is it consistently temped at 188* after 10 mins? With this resolved and some minor suspension tweeks it'll be ready to compete. How are you guys managing temps?

timing is down to 1 (the lowest setting)
current limiter is at 60%
Are you sure your temp gun is accurate? Temps in nitro seem to be taken with grain of salt, but the E guys never seem to question their readings...
Ei8ht is offline  
Old 09-19-2011, 05:38 PM
  #6482  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (8)
 
Integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,486
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

A Clean Temp gun is an Accurate temp gun. Nitro guys and there Dirty pit bags n such can be problematic if you dont maintain the All seeing Eye on your gun.
Integra is offline  
Old 09-19-2011, 11:09 PM
  #6483  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (78)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 307
Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)
Default losi8T

I have been running my 8T with the 1350 tekin motor, and 6s, with the controller backed down to 6* and med area for punch. am going to try the 10,000 in center diff, because I'm ballooning the front tires on the front straight, but it's exciting,LOL the front straight at the track I've been running is pretty long with small step jumps. If your in front of me when we start down the straight, you'll be covered by dirt and behind, OMG the best part is the motor hasn't come off the track at more then 150 and I've had to take power out of it, to keep myself from hurting myself. really like the 6s combo, with the low kv motor. I have a emaxx with a 4s system in it and it is quick and capable of 45mph and this thing goes by like the emaxx sets anchor on the straight. even has enough to stay with my brothers 8 port buggy(bad fast). I finally got something that keeps up and I can drive YAH.
btrukr is offline  
Old 09-20-2011, 12:26 AM
  #6484  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (127)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 506
Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Integra View Post
A Clean Temp gun is an Accurate temp gun. Nitro guys and there Dirty pit bags n such can be problematic if you dont maintain the All seeing Eye on your gun.
That is a good point. Still strange though as I have two temp guns and my buddy has one. All three side by side with clean lenses read with in a degree of each other under 100*. Above 100* there can be a 10-15* difference.
Above 200* there can be a 20* difference
Around 280* our temp guns have readings of at around a 30* difference!
Ive even played with the emissivity settings and it's still tough to know whats right.

Tekin recommends people to put a piece of black electrical tape on the motor for more accurate readings:

Originally Posted by http://teamtekin.com/blmotortips.html
All Motors, including Tekin Motors, tend to lose strength in the magnet at high temperatures. When the magnet loses strength it shows up as a loss of speed. Monitor your motor temp with a temp gun, place a small piece of black tape on the aluminum can to improve accuracy of the readings.
Ei8ht is offline  
Old 09-20-2011, 03:30 AM
  #6485  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (4)
 
krash'um's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Land of Aloha
Posts: 822
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by DBL15 View Post
hmmm to me there is another problem or something not spinning freely mate

can you turn your pinon easy with your fingers ? its not hitting the motor mount is it?

i run the same set up in hotter conditions in Australia and after 15 min my motor only comes off at 150 to 160

whats your current limiter set at as wheel spin create heat
Current limiter is at 60% everything spins freely, I'll double check my temp gun for accuracy. Now I'm kinda thinking of going to a 1400kv with 6s.
krash'um is offline  
Old 09-20-2011, 09:08 AM
  #6486  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 377
Default

Im about to convert my 8 to an 8 e and just looking at some budget electronics to get me going.

I was thinking about the Hobbywing SC8 ESC and a 1800kv leopard 4 pole motor.

What do you think?? I dont have the money for a tekin/Castle:

Here are links:

Motor:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2508627265...84.m1423.l2649

ESC:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2806300367...84.m1423.l2649
Headling is offline  
Old 09-20-2011, 09:49 AM
  #6487  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (29)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 264
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Headling View Post
Im about to convert my 8 to an 8 e and just looking at some budget electronics to get me going.

I was thinking about the Hobbywing SC8 ESC and a 1800kv leopard 4 pole motor.

What do you think?? I dont have the money for a tekin/Castle:

Here are links:

Motor:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2508627265...84.m1423.l2649

ESC:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2806300367...84.m1423.l2649
The Motor and ESC are by far the most important part of the Electric Model.....

Cheap electronics mean down time and result in a regretable purchase!, also I'd never consider buying a used electric with that set up.

Castle or Tekin are reputable set ups , save or borrow the money for it. New is the best route.

Al
akesj1 is offline  
Old 09-20-2011, 09:53 AM
  #6488  
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (10)
 
brian015's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 64
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Headling View Post
Im about to convert my 8 to an 8 e and just looking at some budget electronics to get me going.

I was thinking about the Hobbywing SC8 ESC and a 1800kv leopard 4 pole motor.

What do you think?? I dont have the money for a tekin/Castle:

Here are links:

Motor:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2508627265...84.m1423.l2649

ESC:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2806300367...84.m1423.l2649
I don't race but I've had good luck with a leopard motor in my buggy. The one you link to is too small, though. You want a 4065 to run in a 1/8 buggy.

I'd also go for a bigger HW esc. I'd get one that was 6s capable - not because I would run 6s in a buggy, but because it should be more reliable on 4s.
brian015 is offline  
Old 09-20-2011, 02:15 PM
  #6489  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (4)
 
krash'um's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Land of Aloha
Posts: 822
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Integra View Post
A Clean Temp gun is an Accurate temp gun. Nitro guys and there Dirty pit bags n such can be problematic if you dont maintain the All seeing Eye on your gun.
Originally Posted by Ei8ht View Post
That is a good point. Still strange though as I have two temp guns and my buddy has one. All three side by side with clean lenses read with in a degree of each other under 100*. Above 100* there can be a 10-15* difference.
Above 200* there can be a 20* difference
Around 280* our temp guns have readings of at around a 30* difference!
Ive even played with the emissivity settings and it's still tough to know whats right.

Tekin recommends people to put a piece of black electrical tape on the motor for more accurate readings:
Great info guys thanks, I appreciate it.
krash'um is offline  
Old 09-20-2011, 02:23 PM
  #6490  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (11)
 
Numburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Byram, MS
Posts: 734
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Newbie here

I am looking to get my first 1/8 buggy and am leaning towards the 8ight-E 2.0. Can anyone give me any tips on what to look for in a used one? Certain worn parts or such?

Also, what are important parts to pick up?
Numburn is offline  
Old 09-20-2011, 02:26 PM
  #6491  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (8)
 
Integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,486
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Numburn View Post
Newbie here

I am looking to get my first 1/8 buggy and am leaning towards the 8ight-E 2.0. Can anyone give me any tips on what to look for in a used one? Certain worn parts or such?

Also, what are important parts to pick up?


I would honestly suggest going new if your not too sure on the wear items your looking for. Some thing's are more of a Feel thing vs just being able to look at the part and tell if its worn out. Are you buying from a Trusted Local or Looking online ?
Integra is offline  
Old 09-20-2011, 02:56 PM
  #6492  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (11)
 
Numburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Byram, MS
Posts: 734
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Integra View Post
I would honestly suggest going new if your not too sure on the wear items your looking for. Some thing's are more of a Feel thing vs just being able to look at the part and tell if its worn out. Are you buying from a Trusted Local or Looking online ?
It would probably be online. I'd definitely prefer to buy a new one but used they seem to be going for about $250 vs $600 new. I'm still trying to weigh whether it is worth buying used and replacing anything worn.
Numburn is offline  
Old 09-20-2011, 03:17 PM
  #6493  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (9)
 
rustyfingers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: under your bed
Posts: 381
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Numburn View Post
It would probably be online. I'd definitely prefer to buy a new one but used they seem to be going for about $250 vs $600 new. I'm still trying to weigh whether it is worth buying used and replacing anything worn.
D.Quick has a Losi 8 2.0 for 150. Pick up the conversion for 75 and you have a nice ebuggy for around 225. I have a 8e body you can use (it's not a POS) and you could probably get 30+ for the nitro parts pretty easy. Don't remember what upgrades he has but the buggy is in very good condition. He's had it for sale for a while so you might be able to get it a little cheaper.

Also, M.Harrison from LA had one for sale for 300 with only a couple of races on it. Check with Bubba, it might still be available.

Hell, if you would have been there Sat. night I probably would have sold you mine for 10 bucks. Never been so frustrated in my life. Nothing wrong with the car but that last double before the quad was KILLING ME...

Dennis

Last edited by rustyfingers; 09-20-2011 at 03:41 PM.
rustyfingers is offline  
Old 09-20-2011, 03:32 PM
  #6494  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (8)
 
DBL15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Gold Coast
Posts: 3,171
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Numburn View Post
It would probably be online. I'd definitely prefer to buy a new one but used they seem to be going for about $250 vs $600 new. I'm still trying to weigh whether it is worth buying used and replacing anything worn.
yeh buy new for sure these things are fast and can have big crashes , atleast if new you know what you have done to it and how many times you crashed big and what parts need doing etc
DBL15 is offline  
Old 09-20-2011, 05:45 PM
  #6495  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (50)
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Covington, La.
Posts: 3,594
Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Numburn View Post
It would probably be online. I'd definitely prefer to buy a new one but used they seem to be going for about $250 vs $600 new. I'm still trying to weigh whether it is worth buying used and replacing anything worn.
Kevin It is always better to buy new. If you but a used car one persons like new could be another persons worn out. If you were to buy used I would sugest to only get something you can see or from someone you know. Most of the time you will wind up paying more for replacement parts on a used car then you will be at the price of a new one from the get go.

See yall up there for charge em up. By the way new layout looks sick.
micrors4guy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.