Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread >

Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread

Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 10:48 PM
  #6391  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (5)
 
dangerwr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 2,245
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by kcobra View Post
Why does the 8ight-e manual say to fill the diffs above the 4 planetary gears? I have always understood that you fill 1/8th scale diffs just above the cross-pins.
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
dangerwr is offline  
Old 09-09-2011, 07:14 AM
  #6392  
Moderator
iTrader: (92)
 
Muggydude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,868
Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)
Default

I think I finally figured out why my buggy has been running so hot. there was a good deal of binding in the center diff mount, and it caused the spur gear to rub the motor mount. I put a small shim on the spur gear side of the diff (same ones I use to shim the rear diff), and I didn't tighten the bottom mounting screws (plastic side) of the diff mount 100% (backed them out about 1/4 of a turn)and that solved the problems. The drive train is so much freer now, it's amazing. I'm not sure why was binding in the first place, perhaps the motor mount is bent ever so slightly.

If that doesn't help I put on the big a$$ losi heatsink too!
Muggydude is offline  
Old 09-09-2011, 07:25 AM
  #6393  
Moderator
iTrader: (92)
 
Muggydude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,868
Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)
Default

As far as the heatsink fit on the tekin motor (1400kv) it fits great. Like Danger said you need to open it up a little bit , but you can get it on. I also used some Arctic Silver Thermal grease on mine, and I think that will help the heatsink draw more heat out of the tekin can. I used some smaller diameter screws (with washers) and some locknuts I had laying around to clamp the heatsink down, the smaller diameter of the screws allows you to thread in the screw, even at the angle. Once you tighten it down, the screws align better as well.
Fits perfectly under the JC Illuzion body. We'll see how much it lowers temps.
Muggydude is offline  
Old 09-09-2011, 11:27 AM
  #6394  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (8)
 
Integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,486
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
I think I finally figured out why my buggy has been running so hot. there was a good deal of binding in the center diff mount, and it caused the spur gear to rub the motor mount. I put a small shim on the spur gear side of the diff (same ones I use to shim the rear diff), and I didn't tighten the bottom mounting screws (plastic side) of the diff mount 100% (backed them out about 1/4 of a turn)and that solved the problems. The drive train is so much freer now, it's amazing. I'm not sure why was binding in the first place, perhaps the motor mount is bent ever so slightly.

If that doesn't help I put on the big a$$ losi heatsink too!

Strangely enough this isn't a prevalent problem, Ive only seen it on very few mounts, I was tempted to contact Losi and bring it to their attention but it wasn't worth it when i started asking around and most didn't have the issue. Its 100% mount related tho.
Integra is offline  
Old 09-09-2011, 11:53 AM
  #6395  
Moderator
iTrader: (92)
 
Muggydude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,868
Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)
Default

think I should contact horizon? I mean, I got it to work, but the top center diff mount screws have to be loose, and so do the bottom plastic side ones. It's never good to run loose screws...
Muggydude is offline  
Old 09-09-2011, 11:55 AM
  #6396  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (78)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 307
Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)
Default heat sink idea

I have been using a thin film of computer temp compound between the fan of my 1/10 on road car and I think it drp'd the temp another 10*F after a 6 min main on a day when the temp was 103 I was able to run 165 instead of close to 180, like everybody else. It's cheap and worth a try, will be pulling the fan off my tekin and appling, LOL
btrukr is offline  
Old 09-09-2011, 01:07 PM
  #6397  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (8)
 
Integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,486
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
think I should contact horizon? I mean, I got it to work, but the top center diff mount screws have to be loose, and so do the bottom plastic side ones. It's never good to run loose screws...


Ive never had to loosen screw's So there might be something else going on.
Integra is offline  
Old 09-09-2011, 03:24 PM
  #6398  
Moderator
iTrader: (92)
 
Muggydude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,868
Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)
Default

Loosening ths screws allows the mounts to be able to go sliightly wider, which should point to the mount being bent in towards the diff.
Muggydude is offline  
Old 09-09-2011, 05:09 PM
  #6399  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (26)
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 243
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
Loosening ths screws allows the mounts to be able to go sliightly wider, which should point to the mount being bent in towards the diff.
Just thought I'd ask in case you may have over looked it, but do you have the plastic mount flipped to the right side bevel out?
n2trouble is offline  
Old 09-09-2011, 07:32 PM
  #6400  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (5)
 
dangerwr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 2,245
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
Loosening ths screws allows the mounts to be able to go sliightly wider, which should point to the mount being bent in towards the diff.
I use both a .010" & .025" shim on the spur side . . .
dangerwr is offline  
Old 09-09-2011, 08:34 PM
  #6401  
Moderator
iTrader: (92)
 
Muggydude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,868
Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by n2trouble View Post
Just thought I'd ask in case you may have over looked it, but do you have the plastic mount flipped to the right side bevel out?
yes
Muggydude is offline  
Old 09-10-2011, 01:31 AM
  #6402  
Tech Apprentice
 
tasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CHQ, Greece
Posts: 60
Default

Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
yes
Have you checked if the screw holes in the diff housing are straight? Straight as in totally parallel to the housing? Sometimes during manufacturing very small deviations might be overlooked due to a min max value been set by QC. But hey this small deviation might still be unacceptable and cause you problems.

Run a straw or a long screw through the holes and check the orientation.

If this doesn't prove the problem, very unlikely but still possible it is a chassis issue (if your diff housings are ok of course). Place a small ruler vertical to the problem area of the diff mounting and check if its straight.

Let us know of your results.
tasi is offline  
Old 09-10-2011, 11:02 PM
  #6403  
Moderator
iTrader: (92)
 
Muggydude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,868
Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)
Default

The screw holes are straight.

Ok, so I put the losi heatsink on the tekin motor with some thermal paste, and I freed up the center diff mount. Results?

success! Temps Were 135 F after 15 minutes of hard race running! Granted the track was not as open as when I ran last, but 70 degrees F is a HUGE difference. I highly reccomend the heatsin to anyone.
Muggydude is offline  
Old 09-11-2011, 07:09 AM
  #6404  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (5)
 
dangerwr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 2,245
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
The screw holes are straight.

Ok, so I put the losi heatsink on the tekin motor with some thermal paste, and I freed up the center diff mount. Results?

success! Temps Were 135 F after 15 minutes of hard race running! Granted the track was not as open as when I ran last, but 70 degrees F is a HUGE difference. I highly reccomend the heatsin to anyone.
Don't forget it was probably 15* F cooler outside yesterday than it has been for the last few months of race days. July & August has been 90+ on most weekends . . .
dangerwr is offline  
Old 09-11-2011, 09:43 AM
  #6405  
Tech Master
iTrader: (73)
 
Titian2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Socal Ca 909
Posts: 1,923
Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by dangerwr View Post
I use both a .010" & .025" shim on the spur side . . .
When you added these size shims what were the results? My mount the alum maybe metal side also has a lot if wear. It free and spaced at a stand still so I figured it was rubbing due to chassis flexing or maybe drive jerking it back while crashing or braking hard.
I
Actually need another alum mount, can holder and battery tray if any has one pm me please. No rush just piecing a back up roller together. Thanks
Titian2010 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.