Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread >

Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread

Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 10:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kcobra View Post
Why does the 8ight-e manual say to fill the diffs above the 4 planetary gears? I have always understood that you fill 1/8th scale diffs just above the cross-pins.
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:14 AM

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)

I think I finally figured out why my buggy has been running so hot. there was a good deal of binding in the center diff mount, and it caused the spur gear to rub the motor mount. I put a small shim on the spur gear side of the diff (same ones I use to shim the rear diff), and I didn't tighten the bottom mounting screws (plastic side) of the diff mount 100% (backed them out about 1/4 of a turn)and that solved the problems. The drive train is so much freer now, it's amazing. I'm not sure why was binding in the first place, perhaps the motor mount is bent ever so slightly.

If that doesn't help I put on the big a$$ losi heatsink too!
Old 09-09-2011, 07:25 AM

As far as the heatsink fit on the tekin motor (1400kv) it fits great. Like Danger said you need to open it up a little bit , but you can get it on. I also used some Arctic Silver Thermal grease on mine, and I think that will help the heatsink draw more heat out of the tekin can. I used some smaller diameter screws (with washers) and some locknuts I had laying around to clamp the heatsink down, the smaller diameter of the screws allows you to thread in the screw, even at the angle. Once you tighten it down, the screws align better as well.
Fits perfectly under the JC Illuzion body. We'll see how much it lowers temps.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:27 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
I think I finally figured out why my buggy has been running so hot. there was a good deal of binding in the center diff mount, and it caused the spur gear to rub the motor mount. I put a small shim on the spur gear side of the diff (same ones I use to shim the rear diff), and I didn't tighten the bottom mounting screws (plastic side) of the diff mount 100% (backed them out about 1/4 of a turn)and that solved the problems. The drive train is so much freer now, it's amazing. I'm not sure why was binding in the first place, perhaps the motor mount is bent ever so slightly.

If that doesn't help I put on the big a$$ losi heatsink too!

Strangely enough this isn't a prevalent problem, Ive only seen it on very few mounts, I was tempted to contact Losi and bring it to their attention but it wasn't worth it when i started asking around and most didn't have the issue. Its 100% mount related tho.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:53 AM

think I should contact horizon? I mean, I got it to work, but the top center diff mount screws have to be loose, and so do the bottom plastic side ones. It's never good to run loose screws...
Old 09-09-2011, 11:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)
Default heat sink idea

I have been using a thin film of computer temp compound between the fan of my 1/10 on road car and I think it drp'd the temp another 10*F after a 6 min main on a day when the temp was 103 I was able to run 165 instead of close to 180, like everybody else. It's cheap and worth a try, will be pulling the fan off my tekin and appling, LOL
Old 09-09-2011, 01:07 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

think I should contact horizon? I mean, I got it to work, but the top center diff mount screws have to be loose, and so do the bottom plastic side ones. It's never good to run loose screws...

Ive never had to loosen screw's So there might be something else going on.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:24 PM

Loosening ths screws allows the mounts to be able to go sliightly wider, which should point to the mount being bent in towards the diff.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:09 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Loosening ths screws allows the mounts to be able to go sliightly wider, which should point to the mount being bent in towards the diff.
Just thought I'd ask in case you may have over looked it, but do you have the plastic mount flipped to the right side bevel out?
Old 09-09-2011, 07:32 PM
Tech Elite

I use both a .010" & .025" shim on the spur side . . .
Old 09-09-2011, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by n2trouble View Post
Just thought I'd ask in case you may have over looked it, but do you have the plastic mount flipped to the right side bevel out?
yes
Old 09-10-2011, 01:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

yes
Have you checked if the screw holes in the diff housing are straight? Straight as in totally parallel to the housing? Sometimes during manufacturing very small deviations might be overlooked due to a min max value been set by QC. But hey this small deviation might still be unacceptable and cause you problems.

Run a straw or a long screw through the holes and check the orientation.

If this doesn't prove the problem, very unlikely but still possible it is a chassis issue (if your diff housings are ok of course). Place a small ruler vertical to the problem area of the diff mounting and check if its straight.

Let us know of your results.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:02 PM

The screw holes are straight.

Ok, so I put the losi heatsink on the tekin motor with some thermal paste, and I freed up the center diff mount. Results?

success! Temps Were 135 F after 15 minutes of hard race running! Granted the track was not as open as when I ran last, but 70 degrees F is a HUGE difference. I highly reccomend the heatsin to anyone.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:09 AM
Tech Elite

The screw holes are straight.

Ok, so I put the losi heatsink on the tekin motor with some thermal paste, and I freed up the center diff mount. Results?

success! Temps Were 135 F after 15 minutes of hard race running! Granted the track was not as open as when I ran last, but 70 degrees F is a HUGE difference. I highly reccomend the heatsin to anyone.
Don't forget it was probably 15* F cooler outside yesterday than it has been for the last few months of race days. July & August has been 90+ on most weekends . . .
Old 09-11-2011, 09:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dangerwr View Post
I use both a .010" & .025" shim on the spur side . . .
When you added these size shims what were the results? My mount the alum maybe metal side also has a lot if wear. It free and spaced at a stand still so I figured it was rubbing due to chassis flexing or maybe drive jerking it back while crashing or braking hard.
I
Actually need another alum mount, can holder and battery tray if any has one pm me please. No rush just piecing a back up roller together. Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.