Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread >

Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread

Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 07:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra View Post
Ill order one up and see if its a Go or Not.
Well the Losi Heatsink will fit on the Tekin but one needs to stretch it open a bit to get it over the existing heatsink can. Thus the stock screws will not fit but no biggie. No perfect but close enough!
Old 09-08-2011, 08:14 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DBL15 View Post
also guys did a big read of this whole thread over the last few days and 20 pages back or so there was talk about removing the motor support frame as it was causing issues with spurs etc ?

do i have to remove this motor support of the frame

REMOVE IT. You WILL strip out Spurs if you leave it Installed.

Originally Posted by dangerwr View Post
Well the Losi Heatsink will fit on the Tekin but one needs to stretch it open a bit to get it over the existing heatsink can. Thus the stock screws will not fit but no biggie. No perfect but close enough!

Good to know Danger....thx for updating us.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by tasi View Post
I'll have to disagree.
I use 4S, 5S, 6S zippys and they all turned out just fine. None puffed, great performance and if they break down (hasn't happened yet) just replace them.
I see no reason to pay 200$ instead for 40$ for same rating, capacity and performance. Just doesn't make sense...

As for after sales service, I make sure I have enough to continue my game instead of waiting for weeks for replacements....

Just my personal opinion and maybe I've been lucky so far...who knows
One last thing quoting my own post....
I use the same batteries in a Savage XL, in a Losi Truggy 2.0, the 2.0 buggy and a Trex 500 3D heli .
Considering the power needs of the savage, or yet the heli... these batteries have done me justice so far.

But hey whatever ticks ones clock....It's a matter of taste I guess
Old 09-08-2011, 12:44 PM
Tech Elite

Good to know Danger....thx for updating us.
I will post a couple of pics tonight. I just know running a Tekin 1900Kv in 90+ degree heat for 15-min, geared 15/44t, is a little taxing on the motor. We typically run large outdoor tracks and noticed guys running the Tekno style chassis were running much cooler. I thought that this could mean two things:

1.) When temping the motor one is actually measuring the external temperature of the Tekno motor mount heatsink and that the internal temperature of the motor is actually much hotter.

AND/OR

2.) The Tekno motor mount heatsink pulls a lot of heat out of the motor (and perhaps distributing it through the chassis).

So I wanted to find some extra cooling. This Losi heat sink is HUGE and seems to be purpose built. I will mount it with some thermal paste and see what happens. It is cooling off here in CO now and our race season will end in October so is not really needed but figure I would see what needs to be done to make it work and share. Cheers!
Old 09-08-2011, 12:51 PM
Tech Lord

Lower Temps(w/heatsink) = More Gearing = Mo Faster.

Im using this Theory in my SCTE and its worked So far.

Its Big and Clumsy lookin and took a little grinding to allow for the drive line to move but Darn does it work.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9131
Old 09-08-2011, 01:31 PM
Tech Elite

Words. I agree and me likey some 'mo better fasta! I think as much heat you can pull out the better off we will be. This year guys have been doing a few 45-min with their E-Truggy (also on 4S) and am astonished that they are running much cooler than the buggy. Some say it is due to air flow but lower RPMs with larger tires could help as well.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dangerwr View Post
I will post a couple of pics tonight. I just know running a Tekin 1900Kv in 90+ degree heat for 15-min, geared 15/44t, is a little taxing on the motor. We typically run large outdoor tracks and noticed guys running the Tekno style chassis were running much cooler. I thought that this could mean two things:

1.) When temping the motor one is actually measuring the external temperature of the Tekno motor mount heatsink and that the internal temperature of the motor is actually much hotter.

AND/OR

2.) The Tekno motor mount heatsink pulls a lot of heat out of the motor (and perhaps distributing it through the chassis).

So I wanted to find some extra cooling. This Losi heat sink is HUGE and seems to be purpose built. I will mount it with some thermal paste and see what happens. It is cooling off here in CO now and our race season will end in October so is not really needed but figure I would see what needs to be done to make it work and share. Cheers!
Are they running the mechanical brake with the tekno chassis? "Chizzle" runs one of those and has way lower temps than i do since his motor isnt doing any braking.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:25 PM
Tech Addict

Lower Temps(w/heatsink) = More Gearing = Mo Faster.

Im using this Theory in my SCTE and its worked So far.

Its Big and Clumsy lookin and took a little grinding to allow for the drive line to move but Darn does it work.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9131
I put that exact heat sink on my SCTE and it lowered my temps by about 40 degrees!!!! Went from 190 to 150. My fan failed and temps went up by about 20 so its half heat sink/half fan as far as cooling
Old 09-08-2011, 02:38 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mellen_mpz View Post
Are they running the mechanical brake with the tekno chassis? "Chizzle" runs one of those and has way lower temps than i do since his motor isnt doing any braking.
Most are not running the mechanical brakes. A few tried that last year and abonded the idea. But yeah, braking surely does generate some heat!
Old 09-08-2011, 03:24 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by mellen_mpz View Post
I put that exact heat sink on my SCTE and it lowered my temps by about 40 degrees!!!! Went from 190 to 150. My fan failed and temps went up by about 20 so its half heat sink/half fan as far as cooling

Did the motor fail or the Blades break ?
Old 09-08-2011, 05:23 PM
Tech Elite

Default Losi heatsink on Tekin pics

Okay for any of you guys interested here are some photos. Note that even the two opposing mounting brackets look parallel but the holes are off by ~1/8th of an inch. I have the get creative since one of the mounting brackets is a "L" shaped channel and is designed to hold the two nuts. This will not work with bolts on the Tekin because the bolts must reach the bolts at an angle due to the 1/8" offset. I will likely cut the channel off the mounting bracket and just use some lock nuts . . .

Last edited by dangerwr; 09-08-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by btrukr View Post
Austin got me using a Hyperion charger, not going back lol
Started using the Hyperion Duo, have to say its a BEAST , what a pleasure from the AC6

Al
Old 09-08-2011, 06:38 PM
Tech Addict

Did the motor fail or the Blades break ?
motor failed. blades were still intact
Old 09-08-2011, 10:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Why does the 8ight-e manual say to fill the diffs above the 4 planetary gears? I have always understood that you fill 1/8th scale diffs just above the cross-pins.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:34 PM
Tech Initiate

Default e-conversion kit

does the e-conversion kit come with a metal or plastic spur gear? 45T?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.