Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread >

Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread

Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 10:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
If you can find an EU tower they are awesome. These things can really take a beating, I had fun a while ago doing triple back flips and 90ft+ jumps in the park with truggy tires on it. Took some hard hits too, but the tower is still perfect.
I do not believe they are designed any different other than some additional holes that are to allow you to tune for EU-style tracks. The material and manufacturing process are undoubtedly the same. I believe Losi uses ALCLAD for these parts. I guess I am just hard on the stock chassis and front shock tower . . .

The King Headz is a 4mm milled 7075 to the best of my knowledge. I hope it works out! I know that my "fun" has improved once I went to a stronger chassis. I race most every weekend and do put the buggy through some abuse!
Old 07-05-2011, 12:00 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dangerwr View Post
Guys,

I seem to be in the habit of bending the front shock tower. I have even broken one last year. I put on the King Headz version in hopes of allieviating the situ. I was wondering if anybody else has (or had) the same issue. I had to laugh when Losi started offering the carbon version. Maybe for Nitro would a carbon tower work but my EP is pretty light with all the Ti upgrades and lightened everything else Losi offers . . .

My Matrix 1.0 Tower's on my E bug have outlasted every other tower ive owned....Ive sheared/Snapped a Few 2.0 version's of both CF and Stock on my Nitro but the 1.0's Keep ticking.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:26 PM
Tech Elite

Good to know! Matrix One are all CF components correct?
Old 07-05-2011, 01:03 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Good to know! Matrix One are all CF components correct?

Yes All CF parts from Robert....The only Alum part he makes to my knowledge is the Axle's with booties.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

Hey guys, would the standard drake setup work on a really loose bumpy track? Or is there another I can use? Also what tires would you recommend for this kind of track. Thanks for the help just getting into 8th scale racing.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default Servo's

Recently purchased an 8E buggy and looking at Servo's as the cheap ones I tried stripped.

I'm looking in the 200oz plus range but can I use a 7.4v instead of 6v??

Radio is Spektrum and SR3300t (rated @ 3.2-9.6v)

or does the ESC determine voltage, using MMM on 4s

Al
Old 07-05-2011, 08:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Potoczak View Post
Hey guys, would the standard drake setup work on a really loose bumpy track? Or is there another I can use? Also what tires would you recommend for this kind of track. Thanks for the help just getting into 8th scale racing.
I can share my sole opinion. I use the Drake setup with very little modification from track-to-track here in CO. If the track is bumpy I will run 5k in the center. I like AKA Crossbrace and/or I-Beams for the loose stuff. JConcepts Subcultures are another favorite but really depends on how loose it is . . .
Old 07-06-2011, 08:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Guys,

I seem to be in the habit of bending the front shock tower. I have even broken one last year. I put on the King Headz version in hopes of allieviating the situ. I was wondering if anybody else has (or had) the same issue. I had to laugh when Losi started offering the carbon version. Maybe for Nitro would a carbon tower work but my EP is pretty light with all the Ti upgrades and lightened everything else Losi offers . . .
I've broken a number of front shock towers.
1. Our backyard track is very Supercross in setup and has a number of trees at the edges.
2. Our local indoor track has steel poles in the middle of the track that support the roof. With the EP8 you can turn a double double into a quad that has a steel pole at the edge of the landing. One small mistake and you snap a front tower while nosing in for the landing.

I tried the King Headz and didn't find it any stronger. I've actually had better luck with the stock 2.0. I do have the Losi CF towers on my 810e and they have been very durable. Of course the 810e is about 1.5 lbs lighter than my 8e. Next time I brake an 8e front tower I'm trying the CF version.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)

I do not believe they are designed any different other than some additional holes that are to allow you to tune for EU-style tracks. The material and manufacturing process are undoubtedly the same. I believe Losi uses ALCLAD for these parts. I guess I am just hard on the stock chassis and front shock tower . . .

The King Headz is a 4mm milled 7075 to the best of my knowledge. I hope it works out! I know that my "fun" has improved once I went to a stronger chassis. I race most every weekend and do put the buggy through some abuse!
the EU Tower is much thicker to take the abuse high speed European tracks give out. I'm positive it will last longer than the stock one.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:58 AM
Tech Elite

the EU Tower is much thicker to take the abuse high speed European tracks give out. I'm positive it will last longer than the stock one.
Yeah, think so? I am going with this one next if the King Headz does not pan out . . .

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ightened-Black
Old 07-06-2011, 12:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)

Yeah, think so? I am going with this one next if the King Headz does not pan out . . .

This thing looks pretty gnarly, cheaper than the Fioroni too...

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Hard-Anodized
Old 07-06-2011, 12:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)

The EU tower is thicker? Buy what you want.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:41 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Anyone using a center smart diff and have a good setup for it? I heard they are not the best for converted nitro drivers but I like to stay pretty smooth on the throttle around turns.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:35 PM
Tech Elite

The EU tower is thicker? Buy what you want.
Show me a link where it details the EU tower then . . .

Thicker than 6mm?
Old 07-07-2011, 04:38 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by n2trouble View Post
Anyone using a center smart diff and have a good setup for it? I heard they are not the best for converted nitro drivers but I like to stay pretty smooth on the throttle around turns.
The Drake setup with a center smart diff seems to work well for me. I like it on tight tracks . . .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.