Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread >

Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread

Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 12:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by immarcescibile View Post
Dangerwr what about using front SD grease filled/7K center/3K rear for outdoor thight tracks??
What inner SD setup would you suggest (different springs and adjustable ramp plates available in different in degrees)?
I honestly do not know. Maybe Integra or Casper can help. I just have adopted my SD setup from one Drake's 2010 setups. Do you run euro style tracks?
Old 05-06-2011, 12:06 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Integra View Post
I ran my SD in the center in truggy, I never played with spring's Or ramp plates but always ensured the diff was plenty full and rebuilt it on a strict schedule. Its done me well and more than likely ill be running it again soon.
I have been told that on one of Losi's website is a sweet hpw-to for center SD on a Truggy. Something to do with putting a small amount of fluid in the diff along with the SD grease . . .
Old 05-06-2011, 12:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The only thing you gain from using oil rather than SD grease, is changing the off power feel of the diff.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:34 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dangerwr View Post
I have been told that on one of Losi's website is a sweet hpw-to for center SD on a Truggy. Something to do with putting a small amount of fluid in the diff along with the SD grease . . .

Link ? wouldn't mind checking that out.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:41 PM
Tech Master

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora La Reina de Los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula, California, Unites States of America
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Hi.

What motor/ESC/pinion combo would you guys recommend for a 6s 5000mah setup using a Tekno V4 conversion and the Tekno clutch/traktion control?

My buggy is a v1.0 kit if it matters.

I plan on doing mostly bashing around for now, but would at some point like to take it to the track and running perhaps 4s or 5s batteries instead.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:58 PM
Tech Lord

6S 5000's are WAY TOO Big.

4S 5000's are more in the range of what your looking for pending the cell count your plan to run.

Tekin is my prefered ESC of choice along with many others. You have to Pick a Cell size to run then we can match a motor for you. You cant just run any motor on Any voltage you want.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:04 PM
Tech Master

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora La Reina de Los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula, California, Unites States of America
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I already have several 6s batteries that I use on my helicopters so I'm trying to save money buy using those batteries.

Ideally, I'd like to use the 6s batteries for bashing and then buy some 4s or 5s for racing at the track.

Since it seems the motor I should use on a 6s setup is different than the motor on a 4s setup, could I compensate for that by the size of the pinion I'd use?

I know I know.. I'm sort of trying to shoehorn these batteries into the buggy, I think I'd rather, long-term, get a motor that is better for 4s/5s racing setups than bashing around with a 6s. But I'd still like to bash with my 6s packs since I already own them.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:07 PM
Tech Adept

I honestly do not know. Maybe Integra or Casper can help. I just have adopted my SD setup from one Drake's 2010 setups. Do you run euro style tracks?
Yes I do..
Old 05-08-2011, 03:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Integra View Post
Link ? wouldn't mind checking that out.
I will ask my buddy and get back to the thread. Is there a separate thread for Losi EP Truggy? I am thinking of getting one . . .
Old 05-08-2011, 06:45 PM
Tech Lord

I will ask my buddy and get back to the thread. Is there a separate thread for Losi EP Truggy? I am thinking of getting one . . .

No but there's some really good thread's on truggy set-up's electronics wise.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:22 AM
Tech Adept

Several months ago I bought a central SD for my eight and after 10 seconds it broke all of its internal gears....that is my bad SD lonely experience...

I kept on using my stock central differential and I was able to race for months and months without a single issue.

Sooner or later I will retry a SD but I was told that you have to cut the internal springs by 1/3 ( Drake's suggestion ) to have the best SD behaviour. This extra maintenance and its fragility suggest me to avoid Losi's SDs in favour of other brands, if they are usable on a Losi Eight .
Old 05-09-2011, 08:28 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Emmeth View Post
Several months ago I bought a central SD for my eight and after 10 seconds it broke all of its internal gears....that is my bad SD lonely experience...

I kept on using my stock central differential and I was able to race for months and months without a single issue.

Sooner or later I will retry a SD but I was told that you have to cut the internal springs by 1/3 ( Drake's suggestion ) to have the best SD behaviour. This extra maintenance and its fragility suggest me to avoid Losi's SDs in favour of other brands, if they are usable on a Losi Eight .

If you let your fluids go for month's and Month's on Any diff your risking a failure, Not just a Smart diff.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:58 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Has anybody used Turnigy LifePo4 pack on Losi?
Any tips
Old 05-09-2011, 11:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

+1 Integra!

I prefer to do the "quickie" cleaning between weekends for a few weekends in a row, then once the car gets roughly 3 hours on it (practice and racing combined) I do a complete tear down, diffs, shocks, inspect all the hinge pins, etc. Even if everything seems to "look ok" *.

This applies to all brands for best results for anyone serious about being competitive.

*Assuming the required custom painted body is also utilized? lol

Jim
W.E.D.
www.wedjim.com
Old 05-10-2011, 03:15 AM
Tech Adept

Stop guys, that SD has been used a week after the delivery to my home.....

I may agree that it was a defective one anyway it broke after few seconds.

Told that, how much do you cut your SD's internal springs ?

Do you use SD grease ?

Do you honestly feel the car quicker or it is only marketing stuff ? I ask that because I see that no one within the top Losi drivers around the world use the SD anymore after its release.....

Thx

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.