Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread >

Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread

Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 07:01 AM
  #5566  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (5)
 
dangerwr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 2,245
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by justicepool View Post
Hello,

Just purchased my very first 1/8th scale care of any kind. I bought a Losi 8ight-e 2.0 race roller with the Losi Xcelorin ESC/2100kv motor combo kit.

Are there any suggestions for good tuning options or accessories to get? Skid plates? Chassis protector?

It should be here by Friday, can't wait!

Thanks!

John
On the stock 2.0 chassis I like to run the DE Racing skids both front and rear. This will help preserve the chassis a bit as you get familiar with the car. Have fun!!!
dangerwr is offline  
Old 03-09-2011, 06:59 AM
  #5567  
Tech Rookie
 
trgyrcr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 15
Default

anyone know the number of teeth on the diff ring and pinion off the top of their head
thanks
trgyrcr is offline  
Old 03-09-2011, 09:16 AM
  #5568  
Moderator
iTrader: (92)
 
Muggydude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,868
Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)
Default

Spur is 45T Pinion, i think you need to buy your own. 14-16T usually works well.
Muggydude is offline  
Old 03-09-2011, 09:49 AM
  #5569  
Tech Master
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,010
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by justicepool View Post
Hello,

Just purchased my very first 1/8th scale care of any kind. I bought a Losi 8ight-e 2.0 race roller with the Losi Xcelorin ESC/2100kv motor combo kit.

Are there any suggestions for good tuning options or accessories to get? Skid plates? Chassis protector?

It should be here by Friday, can't wait!

Thanks!

John
Good buggy to start with. If the Xcelorin ESC holds up, there is nothing wrong with that combo. Don't let others convince you to change it or that the xcelorin is junk. They had some reliability issues, but the last one I got back from Horizon has done well. They have a horrible abrupt start and it sounds awful, but on the track, you can't feel it and the system runs cool and fast. Chassis protectors front and back are a good idea and shock and diff oils to tune and tires to suit your track. The stock servo horn will never last under real hard driving. Get a Losi all Aluminum one that fits your servo. Really, that is it. The car handles well and is fast without any additional hopups.
chiro972 is offline  
Old 03-09-2011, 10:10 AM
  #5570  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (5)
 
dangerwr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 2,245
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
Spur is 45T Pinion, i think you need to buy your own. 14-16T usually works well.
He was asking about the internal diff gear ring (crown gear). I believe it is 45T and the diff pinion which I believe to be 15T. But do not quote me on that!
dangerwr is offline  
Old 03-09-2011, 10:14 AM
  #5571  
Moderator
iTrader: (92)
 
Muggydude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,868
Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)
Default

oops! ddn't read carefully. It's either 45 or 46, and maybe 15 or 16?
Muggydude is offline  
Old 03-09-2011, 12:45 PM
  #5572  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (5)
 
dangerwr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 2,245
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
oops! ddn't read carefully. It's either 45 or 46, and maybe 15 or 16?
Not sure, but know the Truggy uses 43T/10T but the buggy parts do not have the tooth count listed online. I bet it is in the manual though I do not have it in front of me . . .
dangerwr is offline  
Old 03-09-2011, 12:58 PM
  #5573  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (7)
 
air8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hutch, KS
Posts: 5,748
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Ring gears are same at 43T. The pinion for buggy is 13t and the pinion for truggy is 10T like danger posted.
air8 is offline  
Old 03-09-2011, 01:06 PM
  #5574  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (5)
 
dangerwr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 2,245
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

On an unrelated topic I have been pricing out a number of spares for this upcoming race season. By the time I was done adding I was at $400 but can buy an entire roller on A-Main for $499! I think I will just buy the roller and have an extra chassis, gearboxes and screws!!!
dangerwr is offline  
Old 03-09-2011, 01:08 PM
  #5575  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (8)
 
Integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,486
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

blah, i see you were talking the "same" as in the tooth count.
Integra is offline  
Old 03-09-2011, 10:46 PM
  #5576  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (9)
 
RacerX20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 264
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Sup guys! I just ordered this kit!
I'm super stoked and cant wait to get it!


Few questions.

What are the most commonly used standard hex sizes this kit uses? I'm looking for a nice standard hex set. All my other RCs used metric. Any recommendations?

Also, I've ordered the Castle MMM 2200kv and I'm gonna run 4s. What pinion size should I run for a good mid ground between torque and speed? 35-45mph would be plenty for the kind of driving I want to do. Mod 1 right?

What wt oils are you guys running in your shocks and diffs? I do plan on racing and want the best handling.

Anything else I should know or order off the bat?

Thanks peeps!

-Tony
RacerX20 is offline  
Old 03-09-2011, 11:01 PM
  #5577  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (5)
 
dangerwr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 2,245
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by RacerX20 View Post
Sup guys! I just ordered this kit!
I'm super stoked and cant wait to get it!


Few questions.

What are the most commonly used standard hex sizes this kit uses? I'm looking for a nice standard hex set. All my other RCs used metric. Any recommendations?

Also, I've ordered the Castle MMM 2200kv and I'm gonna run 4s. What pinion size should I run for a good mid ground between torque and speed? 35-45mph would be plenty for the kind of driving I want to do. Mod 1 right?

What wt oils are you guys running in your shocks and diffs? I do plan on racing and want the best handling.

Anything else I should know or order off the bat?

Thanks peeps!

-Tony
With a 2200kV I would get 13 - 15T pinions and check temps often when you run (test and tune). If you race you probably will set the Punch Control on your ESC at 70 -80%. This motor is a little strong but you will have plenty of fun. You will have endless torque with a large brushless motor so is never an issue. Heat is your enemy. Also make sure your 4S battery is up to delivering the power your motor wants to pull.

Shock setup all depends on your track but d/load the latest Drake setup from TLR website. Uses 42.5W in front with silver springs and 30W in rear with black springs. Diff oil is 5-7-2k from front to back as a good starting point.
dangerwr is offline  
Old 03-09-2011, 11:22 PM
  #5578  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (9)
 
RacerX20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 264
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by dangerwr View Post
With a 2200kV I would get 13 - 15T pinions and check temps often when you run (test and tune). If you race you probably will set the Punch Control on your ESC at 70 -80%. This motor is a little strong but you will have plenty of fun. You will have endless torque with a large brushless motor so is never an issue. Heat is your enemy. Also make sure your 4S battery is up to delivering the power your motor wants to pull.

Shock setup all depends on your track but d/load the latest Drake setup from TLR website. Uses 42.5W in front with silver springs and 30W in rear with black springs. Diff oil is 5-7-2k from front to back as a good starting point.
Thanks bro, I appreciate that. Yeah I definitely want to run cool temps. I'll try 14t and work from there. As soon as Hobby King gets their 45c 5AH Turnigys back in stock I'll pick one up. I'm well aware that discharge is everything when it comes to batteries.

How about the hex keys sizes?

-Tony
RacerX20 is offline  
Old 03-10-2011, 03:44 AM
  #5579  
Tech Adept
 
immarcescibile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Italy
Posts: 159
Default

Hy guys,
I'm writing you from Italy. I have just bought a 8ight EU version already brushless converted.

I'm going to use a Castle-Neu 1512 - 1800Kv motor + Mamba Max Pro esc + external Castle Bec.

Id' like to know if 44T plastic central spur gear will be a good choiche or it woul be better using a 45/46T....

Diff oils: the tracks in which I go are alway bumpy tracks with medium adherence conditions...what kind of oils should I use according to EU/brushless version?? Will 10-10-2 be a good starting point?

Thanks in advance, bye.
Simone.
immarcescibile is offline  
Old 03-10-2011, 08:35 AM
  #5580  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (5)
 
dangerwr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 2,245
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by RacerX20 View Post
Thanks bro, I appreciate that. Yeah I definitely want to run cool temps. I'll try 14t and work from there. As soon as Hobby King gets their 45c 5AH Turnigys back in stock I'll pick one up. I'm well aware that discharge is everything when it comes to batteries.

How about the hex keys sizes?

-Tony
Oh yes, sorry! .050", 1/16th, 5/64th and 3/32nd hex drivers. 1/4" nut driver as well. I also think the axles use a 2.0mm grub screw but could just be outta my mind!
dangerwr is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.