Old 03-02-2011, 04:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 126 (100%+)

http://www.tlracing.com/ProdInfo/Fil...andard2011.pdf
Old 03-02-2011, 04:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

Originally Posted by skyler hays View Post
well i am still a noob, it could be me just over driving the track. and i say more off power steering. it may not be that. it could be i need more on power steering. but i am getting killed in the 180s. just seems like it wont rotate and it just takes for ever for it to make the turn.

would you happen to have the link for drakes latest E setup?

i will try the short steering link b4 i pick up a SD.

thanks.
I too run Drake's base setup both indoors and outdoors and found plenty of off power steering. Are you sure that your front center driveshaft cvd isn't worn? how bad is the pin, on that driveshaft, worn on the dog bone end? Anytime my car starts turning funny, I can almost always find something wrong with the front center shaft.

Here's Drake's current setup......

http://www.tlracing.com/ProdInfo/Fil...andard2011.pdf
Old 03-02-2011, 06:45 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

well i am still a noob, it could be me just over driving the track. and i say more off power steering. it may not be that. it could be i need more on power steering. but i am getting killed in the 180s. just seems like it wont rotate and it just takes for ever for it to make the turn.

thanks.
you could also try to add 1deg of toe out that gives nice rotation but if your not used to it,
it might feel a little twichey
Old 03-02-2011, 07:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by D-money View Post
you could also try to add 1deg of toe out that gives nice rotation but if your not used to it,
it might feel a little twichey
Yep, 3 degrees toe definitely makes the front more aggressive. If you just want the rear to rotate also try a stiffer rear swaybar.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:32 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

thanks.
Also if you are not used to 8th scale 4wd cars you need to hit the breaks a little earlier in to the corner to slow the car down and then let it roll through the corner. If you are on the brakes the fronts lock up and won't turn. It takes a little different driving style to get used to how the brakes effect low speed turns with a 4wd. In 2wd you hit the brakes in late or in the middle of a turn and the car rotates as you lock the rear. This is not the same with 4wd cars.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

At the moment I'm pulling out my smart diffs. I've tried everything I can think of and I really struggle with mid to exit stearing with this car on 180 turns. I have a we'll call compay A's car and it turns a lot better mid to exit in the same conditions. I've driven others 8E 2.0's and theirs doesn't seem to be any better. Any ideas on stuff to try that isn't listed on Drakes setup for instance? I'm considering adding ballast to the front end? (running 4S battery fwd.)
Old 03-02-2011, 02:46 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Have you tried the inclined caster blocks?
Old 03-02-2011, 02:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aaronmn View Post
At the moment I'm pulling out my smart diffs. I've tried everything I can think of and I really struggle with mid to exit stearing with this car on 180 turns. I have a we'll call compay A's car and it turns a lot better mid to exit in the same conditions. I've driven others 8E 2.0's and theirs doesn't seem to be any better. Any ideas on stuff to try that isn't listed on Drakes setup for instance? I'm considering adding ballast to the front end? (running 4S battery fwd.)
make sure your front sway bar is moving freely .that was it when i had that problem
Old 03-02-2011, 02:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quick question--are you running the inclined spindles up front?
Old 03-02-2011, 02:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Try just the front Smart Diff. I found with a center SD it gave the rear too much corner traction and the car did not turn off power. I love the SD in the front. Lots of off-power turning and as soon as you get on-power it pulls you through hard. I run 2-.20mm springs and 2-.25mm springs so it opens quicker, but still closes pretty quickly when you get back on it.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hate2Looz View Post
Are you sure that your front center driveshaft cvd isn't worn? how bad is the pin, on that driveshaft, worn on the dog bone end? Anytime my car starts turning funny, I can almost always find something wrong with the front center shaft.
i tore into the driveshafts this afternoon when i got home. on the center shaft, the pin on the dogbone end is almost half way worn. also the pin on the opposite end is also almost halfway worn. once i had the front diff in my hand i checked for binding. i noticed that there was a little bit of binding at full steering lock. i took one off my cvds of the front. the pin on the dog bone almost shows no wear. the only wear i could find is on the opposite end. its wearing the 4 holes in the axle just a tad.

i tried to take pics but they are blurry.

what happens when the pins are this worn. it causes the out drives to be grabby and inconsistent?

thanks.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

is the short steering inclided with the rtr or will i have to buy one?

also i checked and i am in spec with drakes setup. i will keep in mind about the extra deg of toe and a stiffer rear sway bar.

after looking at my center cvd. i think its time to replace it.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)

I ran the car for the first time with the 1400kv motor and 6s 30c 3600mah turnigy packs. The car ran great. these batteries (about 580 grams) balance the chassis about perfect. I like this setup much better than the 2050kv 4s, and it does seem to have more power. Kind of hard to tell on our 1/10 indoor track though! After 10 minutes on that track, the motor was 115 everything else ambient. I think i will get a lot of runtime out of this setup. The batteries just barely miss hitting the body (Jconcepts illuzion)
Old 03-03-2011, 08:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Tore the car all the way down and am starting back at square one. Was hoping to find something I overlooked. Going to start back with standard diffs and back to the standard Drake setup. Turn in is good, but mid to exit I give up car length or two to other cars. Car is great everywhere else. Nitro version seems a lot better mid to exit on the same turns. So I'm just assuming it's something I should be able to dial in better. (without making the car way to loose in the rear everywhere else on the track.)

I have not tried the inclined blocks yet. Do they help mid to exit that much?

Thanks for help.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Tore the car all the way down and am starting back at square one. Was hoping to find something I overlooked. Going to start back with standard diffs and back to the standard Drake setup. Turn in is good, but mid to exit I give up car length or two to other cars. Car is great everywhere else. Nitro version seems a lot better mid to exit on the same turns. So I'm just assuming it's something I should be able to dial in better. (without making the car way to loose in the rear everywhere else on the track.)

I have not tried the inclined blocks yet. Do they help mid to exit that much?

Thanks for help.
Try running the upper front camber link and less front droop. What diff oils? Good luck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.