Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread >

Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread

Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 09:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dangerwr View Post
The Novaks do not actually come in colors. And how long have you been running brushless 8th scale? I would at least start taking advice from people who run chassis braces . . .
I think I made a mistake with explaining. I meant the motorbrace. I'm running the plastic braces on the chasis for sure. Post edited btw.

Brushless: 3 months and racing it
8th scale: Had a nitro buggy for a few years

Mhhh, this ones seem to have to have a color. But your right, I have seen Novaks without a color, but I can't remember in which shop.
apexmodels.com/gbu0-prodshow/NE5104.html
Old 05-31-2010, 09:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Losi pinion gears have an undersized set screw. Annoying is an understatement.

Seems like it should be an easy fix for losi to make pinion gears that use the larger set screw like almost everyone else does.ie robinson racing, hot bodies(my favorite), and many other.

Originally Posted by vannon View Post
The Losi mod 1's have a smaller set screw, so it tends to slip off the motor shaft. I'm using Robinson's, and they have been great so far with no issues.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:20 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MindThoughts View Post
Seems like it should be an easy fix for losi to make pinion gears that use the larger set screw like almost everyone else does.ie robinson racing, hot bodies(my favorite), and many other.
My losi 15T and 16T pinion that came with my conversion set had a bigger screw. The pinion I bought separately was with a small screw. So yes they do exist, but the quality is bad... They wear very fast.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Matrix Concepts Inc, Carbon Chassis & aluminum drive shafts Exclusive 2 Losi 8ight-E.

I see.
By the way,I have parked my losi ever sense Ofna came out with their Hyper 9e, I'm so much faster with the 9e, and it's crazy how much simpler it is to work on, primarily from front diff to rear diff, where my losi gave me allot of headaches, and the Hyper 9e just has one long maintnance free aluminum drive shaft( only 15.oo dollars to replace if and when needed). But I recently learned that a company by the name of Matrix Concepts Inc, make incredible upgrades for the losi 8ight. I don't know if everyone here knows about this already, but Robert at matrix, the owner of Matrix, specifically and exclusively makes the most incredible carbon chassis I've ever seen or even heard of. I would like to know your thoughts on this carbon chassis and upgrades Robert offers, such as aluminum drive shafts and his carbon chassis even has replaceable droop screw plates and replaceable skid plates that are built into the chassis and therfore are flush with the bottom of the chassis and do not protrude out like all other aftermarket skid plates do.

This is so exciting to me that I'm seriously considering buying his complete upgrade option kit, makes the buggy much lighter, and the chassis flex is identical to the race chassis, and is tunable in the manufacturing process. These chassis have been tested now for over four years of racing and even bashing and not one has been reported to Robert as being broke, because he would likely warranty it, unless someones buggy was run over by a truck.

I spoke with Robert at matrix two weeks ago for almost two hours and he has been in the racing and manufacturing industry for over 20 years. On one hand, knowing he makes all these lightweight, durable; racing parts makes me feel lucky that I also have a losi 8ight, but I sure wish he made all these upgrades for my Hyper 9e. But I'm very interested in how many of you here are aware of Roberts work? And your thoughts on his masterful craftmanship. Like I said, even though I don't even run my losi 8ight these days, I don't think I can resist the Matrix Concepts Inc carbon chassis, shock towers, and all aluminum axles. Even Adam Drake tested the carbon chassis and he loved it. Wonder when losi will offer racers the choice of a carbon chassis. I was suprised to also recently learn that the new, new to me that is; Hot Bodies Ve8 electric 1/8th scale buggy comes with a carbon chassis and replaceable skidd plates, i think it's only a matter of time until almost all 1/8th scale buggies will at least give racers the aftermarket choice of all carbon, including and especially; a servicable carbon chassis.

PS. and just to let you know in case you didn't know. How much a carbon chassis does or does not flex, is completely adjustable during the process of manufacture. Your thoughts?

Originally Posted by morgoth View Post
My losi 15T and 16T pinion that came with my conversion set had a bigger screw. The pinion I bought separately was with a small screw. So yes they do exist, but the quality is bad... They wear very fast.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

Man, its a wonder why my car doesn't fall into pieces just sitting on the bench the way you guys talk lol! I've been running the Losi pinions with
little to 0 wear AND the small set screws for nearly 3 months of 1-2 day
a week race conditions with not one failure. Guess I must be on borrowed
time, eh?

As for carbon fiber chassis, major hop-ups, etc, I'll stick with the out of
the box nitro race roller. No need for all the extras, imo. Everytime I try
to deviate from the box setup, I just end up going back to it.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:12 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Losi updated all there pinons with a larger set screw that works great. Nothing wrong with the current pinions.

Make sure everything is thread locked on the motor mount and all is good there as well. I don't run the rear motor support. Everyone I know that runs it around here strips spurs and they take if off and problem solved. I am assuming results may very but this is what is happening around here.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:51 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Losi updated all there pinons with a larger set screw that works great. Nothing wrong with the current pinions.

Make sure everything is thread locked on the motor mount and all is good there as well. I don't run the rear motor support. Everyone I know that runs it around here strips spurs and they take if off and problem solved. I am assuming results may very but this is what is happening around here.
What do you use for protection under the motor? My motor slams on my chasisplate when taking big jumps. Some of my cooling fins got damage. Fortunatly my can is still in shape, just some fins and paint.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:55 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

The reason the motor shifts and spurs get stripped is the chassis hitting the motor. The brace just puts the force into the motor. I would just live with the bent fins. If you put the motor mount in it will just make things worse.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Casper View Post
The reason the motor shifts and spurs get stripped is the chassis hitting the motor. The brace just puts the force into the motor. I would just live with the bent fins. If you put the motor mount in it will just make things worse.
I'll remove it asap. Just mount and dremeld it a bit down last week to fit the 42mm cans. I always ran without brace before but the motor losend and I tought I was from hitting the chasis so I installed the brace.

Maybe some foam is the solution? Or the following item: (please copy/paste and ad www since I need some more posts to post links. Pretty stupid but I guess it is to counter spam? Mods may remove the link if I'm not allowed to post)

Picture:
djmat.dds.nl/MP9e/mp9e29small.jpg

And avaible here:
amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/products_id/19713/n/Kyosho-Zeal-Vibration-Absorption-Gyro-Reciever-Mounting-Gel-1-Sheet
Old 05-31-2010, 05:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

I would at least start taking advice from people who run chassis braces . . .
Was you following the conversation or just jumping in? No one mention chassis braces. The subject was the plastic motor brace under the motor.

I'm with Casper here. All spur stripping I have seen has been solved by the removal of the brace. As I posted above and reiterated by Casper, it only adds extra force to the motor causing the damage to spurs.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jube View Post
Was you following the conversation or just jumping in? No one mention chassis braces. The subject was the plastic motor brace under the motor.

I'm with Casper here. All spur stripping I have seen has been solved by the removal of the brace. As I posted above and reiterated by Casper, it only adds extra force to the motor causing the damage to spurs.
Nube,

My understanding that there was mention of chassis brace early in the thread and he has since corrected it. Cheers bud!
Old 05-31-2010, 06:13 PM
Tech Elite

Nube,

My understanding that there was mention of chassis brace early in the thread and he has since corrected it. Cheers bud!
Well I had a nice response to your comedy but I decided it's best to ignore you.

Last edited by Jube; 05-31-2010 at 06:35 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Losi 8

I Started out with an Shash 2wd truck and worked up to a buggy 4wd I have more control with the 4wd then the 2wd
Old 05-31-2010, 07:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hum...de..de..dum..do...de..
Jubal going to Losi...never knew this...just a little bit surprized..
Old 05-31-2010, 07:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ???E-Racer View Post
Hum...de..de..dum..do...de..
Jubal going to Losi...never knew this...just a little bit surprized..
Bmag I've been running Losi for a yr.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.