Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 10:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

OMG!!!!!
Old 10-25-2008, 02:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Whats up with the losi 1/8 esc.I went to a indoor track last night and there was 3 e 8ights laying around the pits and all of them had blown up escs.My friend even bought one for his 808 conversion and it quit working last night also.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

R40Victim - Nice video

I do want to make make one suggestion about driving electic powered vehicles though, and this goes for everyone making a the switch from nitro to electric.

I saw that you were pulsing the throttle a lot as if you were driving a nitro vehicle. Try being smoother on the throttle. Your motor will thank you, you will get longer runtimes, and once you get used to it, you will get faster laptimes.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stfitzgerald View Post
Whats up with the losi 1/8 esc.I went to a indoor track last night and there was 3 e 8ights laying around the pits and all of them had blown up escs.My friend even bought one for his 808 conversion and it quit working last night also.
True, have only heard of 2 failing so far
Old 10-25-2008, 08:38 PM
Got a little Captain in ya??

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Thanks R40
Old 10-25-2008, 09:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Well I have one on the way, the deal at TitledRC is too good to pass up. I'm trying to decide on a battery choice now. I'm assuming the Losi ESC has a single battery input plug, right? If so, any reason that it won't work with a pair of 2s lipos with a series adapter?

I have a pair of 2s Maxamps 6k packs that I would like to use at least for now.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:10 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

the maxamp packs should work fine, I am pretty sure you can stand them on their sides and should fit in the tray fine. The 4s 4800 zippy-r packs fit perfectly and are a great deal for $80 a piece.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stfitzgerald View Post
I have seen one fail at my track so far. One had a malfunction in his brakes. They were un-adjustable. They said run it until he was able to send it in and they would get him a new one. I thought that was pretty cool of Losi. The one that failed was a weird deal. It just stopped turning the motor. Almost like it was cogging. I have seen more Mamba Monsters fail than the Losi's, and we probably have almost as many Losi's as we did Monsters.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:39 AM
Tech Elite

Here is some photos of my 8IGHT. Running 5S 5000, NEU 1512 2.5D/F and MMM V1 ESC

Old 10-26-2008, 09:16 AM
Tech Champion

I saw that you were pulsing the throttle a lot as if you were driving a nitro vehicle. Try being smoother on the throttle. Your motor will thank you, you will get longer runtimes, and once you get used to it, you will get faster laptimes.
I have, it took me a few dozen laps to get smooth, but I did. I've been racing 2WD 19T truck for almost a year now, so I know how; I just had to get used to it with the 8ight E. Let me just describe how my race went last night.

1st off, the turn out was very good, plenty of competition, in fact, I was racing against 4 bad asses, 3 are sponsored drivers. I had the second fastest lap time in one of the heats, and we were all on fire! The track was unusually tacky due to a ton of rainfall. I must've traction rolled 10 times! Oh well, I got comfy with the way things were, and turned some really good laps.

I didn't get a chance to figure out my run time for sure, too much going on and we didn't run a 15 minute main ( I was very disappointed, I drove EXTREMELY conservative to save my battery and finish the race, only to discover as it ended, that it was only a 7 minute main ) Even so, I managed to come in 3rd. We also ran 7 minute qualifiers, and I'm really not sure why(usually 5 minutes) After the first qualifier, when I recharged the battery (7+ minutes of racing, a few of practice/warm up) the battery took 2300 mah. So if it takes a little less than half the capacity when I'm NOT being efficient, then I "should" be able to make a 15 minute main.

Jokes were made all night about it being electric, one guy even acted like he was yanking a pull start on it right before the race started... Overall, I think I may have helped sell about 5 of these things. So convenient, so fast, so much fun!

Jeez, got so excited I nearly forgot about the gearing change and its effects. I swapped the stock 16T pinion for a Novak 12T. It made a whole helluva lot more noise, but it works fine. We tried a couple different lash settings, and lubricants, nothing would quiet it down at all. It did make the motor run cooler, in fact, after one of the qualifiers, the motor read 130, that's 50 degrees cooler then with the 16T! It also gave me such explosive acceleration, that I had to take it pretty easy on that jump before the burm. It still has good top speed, and every where else I had incredible torque. I think I want to go up 1 tooth, and I'm gonna use a Losi pinon this time.

I was shooting the breeze with another guy that has a brushless 8ight. His has the Novak conversion, and a 6.5 HV system. He's only running @ 7.4 volts, so it's no where near as fast, and never has any heat issues. I told him I wanted to find a heat sink that would fit, and was looking at the one that works on the Novak HV motors. He took off after a while and came back with this:

The losi 2100 KV motor isn't a whole heck of allot larger than a standard motor. So I think with some coaxing, I can get it to fit. I will have to bend it, but there are several phillups head screws on the outside of its can, that wouldn't allow full contact with the heat sink. I'll prolly end up cutting and bending it to fit. This should not only allow me to run a taller gear, but harder on the car when the summer time rolls around again.

Overall, I'm VERY pleased with the car and drive system. I had no thermals, sudden freaky things or any other real issues with it. Once, the ball stud on the left steering linkage backed out, and I had to run down and put it back on, no biggy, I still finished the heat. Other than that, the car performed flawlessly, and was a joy to drive. Can't wait for next race day, and now that I don't have to lug so much junk(fuel, starter box, etc...) I can get out there more often for some practice. I can see my tire cost going way up with this car... so convenient to use!
Old 10-26-2008, 09:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 209 (99%+)

Originally Posted by spcpicard View Post
the maxamp packs should work fine, I am pretty sure you can stand them on their sides and should fit in the tray fine. The 4s 4800 zippy-r packs fit perfectly and are a great deal for $80 a piece.

Is this the battery that you speak of?

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...00mAh_25C_4S1P

That is a great deal for $80 if they would hold up to the huge power of these 1/8 buggies. How long does your run?
Old 10-26-2008, 08:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

The Xcelorin heatsink is Losi part# LOSB9353 - however it's backordered everywhere I can see.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:16 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Miller_Time View Post
The Xcelorin heatsink is Losi part# LOSB9353 - however it's backordered everywhere I can see.
Yeah, it is due late november
Old 10-26-2008, 09:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by spcpicard View Post
I was gonna order that 1 but the dem 170 and losi tray being 167 I was thinking I might have to cut that tray up,o well, ordered the 4s 5000 H.
Next time, nice to know.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:08 AM
Tech Champion

Anybody find a picture of the new Xcelerin Heat Sink? Somebody found a part number, but no images...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.