Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread >

Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread

Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 11:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Can someone help me with set-up, I find the rear very loose (tailly). It is a 8ight 2.0 race-roller fitted with the Losi conversion and weighs in at 3.6kg? Also what oil weight and springs?
Old 02-15-2010, 06:58 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tom2tone View Post
That is what I had as a backup and it ran fine, I did also find the metal 45T spur. I think I am having more issue's with my conversion kit than the spur gear. BTW thanks for the info

what's the problem with the conversion ?

what moved to strip the spur ?
Old 02-15-2010, 08:14 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WildManDriving View Post
Can someone help me with set-up, I find the rear very loose (tailly). It is a 8ight 2.0 race-roller fitted with the Losi conversion and weighs in at 3.6kg? Also what oil weight and springs?
What setup do you currently have on the car? I would start with drakes latest setup for the 8-E and tune from there.

http://www.losi.com/ProdInfo/Files/L...6_DrakeStd.pdf
Old 02-16-2010, 02:19 AM
Tech Rookie

Default help please

Ok i am new to the electric world and feel a little lost.

#1. I just recently converted my 8 2.0 to electric. the car is very loose and pushes through the corners badly. I put new AKA on and that seemed to help a little but still not happy. What setup changes can i make to get more steering?

More importantly i have the 1/8 Xcelorin Sensorless Brushless Motor, 2100Kv combo. Today i was running at Westcoast race way and the motor got very hot. Somewhere around 240 degrees. I hope that i did not ruin the motor or esc but possible. I checked the car for drag and any possible problems did not seem to be able to find any. Im running a 45 spur/15 pinion. Please help i do want to ruin my motor or esc. i havent plugged it into a computer yet to check the settings but im assuming they are the stock ones from the factory.

do i need to go online and download new software, will that help or necessary?

Great car goes through bumps great and jumps nicely. thank you for input please email mail me [email protected]

Michael
Old 02-16-2010, 03:05 AM
Tech Adept

Default Grease or oil for bearings

Hi All,

What should I be putting on the wheel bearings on the 8-e 2.0, grease or oil? And does any one recommend something good? if its grease would i need to apply both sides or just one going into the spindle?

Many Thanks
Old 02-16-2010, 06:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Originally Posted by masyn View Post

#1. I just recently converted my 8 2.0 to electric. the car is very loose and pushes through the corners badly. I put new AKA on and that seemed to help a little but still not happy. What setup changes can i make to get more steering?

More importantly i have the 1/8 Xcelorin Sensorless Brushless Motor, 2100Kv combo. Today i was running at Westcoast race way and the motor got very hot. Somewhere around 240 degrees. I hope that i did not ruin the motor or esc but possible. I checked the car for drag and any possible problems did not seem to be able to find any. Im running a 45 spur/15 pinion. Please help i do want to ruin my motor or esc. i havent plugged it into a computer yet to check the settings but im assuming they are the stock ones from the factory.

Great car goes through bumps great and jumps nicely. thank you for input please email mail me [email protected]

Michael

First I would drop the pinion down to 13/14 (I ran a 13t) range. What lipo are you running (4s)? Also you may have to much drag brake for the car not to turn. I think I ran 4%. What diff oils are you running(5-7-2)? To get more steering you could try moving the rear hubs back and raising your rear ride ht and give a little more toe out in the front.......I never had a problem with getting my car to turn. I also ran a losi motor heatsink to help with the heat. I have since sold my losi motor/esc. so I have a heatsink and higher cfm fan(new) for the esc. for sale if you are interested. Please let me know......

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...arts-sale.html
Old 02-16-2010, 06:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by johnboy1 View Post
Hi All,

What should I be putting on the wheel bearings on the 8-e 2.0, grease or oil? And does any one recommend something good? if its grease would i need to apply both sides or just one going into the spindle?

Many Thanks
You can get bearing for $1 from places like Avid. If they start to get notchy, just replace them.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

the car is very loose and pushes through the corners badly.
That sounds like two exactly opposite problems. If it's pushing through corners (under steering) then I would say add a little preload to the rear and see if it gets better. Basically, you want more weight on the front wheels so the tires dig in a little while turning and the rear is free to rotate out more.

If it's loose in the corners (over steering) then do the opposite. Get more weight on the back end to keep it from breaking loose.

Those are just starting points and the rabbit hole goes much deeper. Make small adjustments and never adjust more than one variable per test. Have you gone to the Losi site to look at some of the setup sheets?
Old 02-16-2010, 08:30 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Michael
I would put Drakes setup on the car to start.

http://www.losi.com/ProdInfo/Files/L...6_DrakeStd.pdf

Also make sure you download the latest software on your computer (3.0 of the Xcelorin software package) and the lastet firmware on your speedo (F010123.LSC Version 2.3)

http://www.losi.com/Support/XcelorinDownloads.aspx

I updated someone elses speedo the other day and motor temps dropped about 30-40 deg. I think you are probably still geared overgeared for WCRCR since the track is really tight right now.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Can anyone tell me the biggest spur that will fit without doing any modifications to the chassis?
Old 02-17-2010, 04:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Biggest I have ran is a 47t. I do see they go up to a 50t. Not sure if it will fit without any modding. I had to mod a diff top plate on a RC8. I am sure you can make it fit if you really want to go that high.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:41 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra View Post
what's the problem with the conversion ?

what moved to strip the spur ?
I have the RCPD conversion and I had to really bend the top plate down, to get my esc to fit under the body. So now when you look at the top plate sitting on the motor mount there is a gap. Whenever I have to take the whole middle assembly out and reinstall it. I have a hard time getting it back together. The spur gear wants tends to ride right up against the motor mount. Therefore it won't even spin. I have to tweak all the screws to get it to sit right. I thought maybe the top plate got a little loose and I'm not exactly sure what moved to strip the spur. When I brought my buggy in everything looked ok but my spur gear was all torn up.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

no one said any thing about putting dry ice on the bearings it works realy good to get some extra lifr out of them. I use dry ice to clean my bearings after a race also put it in a little cup and it washe them out nice.

On another note try a lighter set of sway bars on your buggy to get rid of some push.

This is my buggy

Old 02-18-2010, 05:43 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

[QUOTE=freelife04239;7022754]no one said any thing about putting dry ice on the bearings it works realy good to get some extra lifr out of them. I use dry ice to clean my bearings after a race also put it in a little cup and it washe them out nice.

On another note try a lighter set of sway bars on your buggy to get rid of some push.

This is my buggy

Which body is that? I like it and it seems taller than the stock 8ight E body. Are the two holes enough to keep your electronics cool?
Old 02-18-2010, 05:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Looks like the Proline Slipstream to me. I got one coming this week, too. Are the holes on either side already in the body? I will cut all the holes out though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.