Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread >

Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread

Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 07:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R40Victim View Post
I just ordered mine from A-main. With the 10% discount I got via e-mail, I managed to get the roller, battery and balancing charger for a grand. It should arrive next week some time. I race on a tight, technical track, so I'll see what I can do to get it to corner like my Nitro 8ight. I got over the brake bias thing, after seeing another converted 8ight do pretty well on our track.
Order a 13 and 14 tooth pinion before you get the car.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:37 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by R40Victim View Post
I got over the brake bias thing, after seeing another converted 8ight do pretty well on our track.
Ya, all the Nitro guys (of whom I've been one of for years) who have driven my conversion no longer talk about brake bias as an issue. It's really not an issue at all if your car can turn propperly.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:39 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by shurcooL View Post
Your sentence is ambiguous... Are those the dimensions of the Losi 4S battery or the Losi battery tray?

If it's the latter, that sucks... I thought it was closer to 170mm long?

It's better to have longer and flatter batteries than taller ones (I don't care much about the Losi battery btw).
The inside dim of the tray 52 x 170.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Order a 13 and 14 tooth pinion before you get the car.
Ah crap, gonna go add that now! Thanks for reminding me! I might just get a 12, since the track is pretty small, only about 100x50 ft with a pretty tight layout.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RBMike View Post
Ya, all the Nitro guys (of whom I've been one of for years) who have driven my conversion no longer talk about brake bias as an issue. It's really not an issue at all if your car can turn propperly.
Agreed!!!
Old 10-16-2008, 11:21 AM
Tech Champion

It's something I'll have to get used to. I recently drove a friend's Team Ass. B44, and liked it allot... and it had 50/50 brakes. The thing is, at that size, it's twitchy enough to not matter. With the converted 8ight I saw run last week, he couldn't negotiate the corners like I was with my nitro truggy. I'll play with the diff fluids, shock springs/oils and the two ackerman plates to see if I can get it "close" to a nitro. I do roll through corners, but you have to "Turn & Burn" the 180s
Old 10-16-2008, 07:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Thinking of using the 48t instead of the 45t. and opening up chassis to fit. Any suggestions. Not going to use the plastic riser piece!
thanks

Last edited by jasburrito; 10-16-2008 at 08:00 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:30 PM
Tech Champion

Will this one fit in the tray? It's 38 x 48 x 160mm, seems kinda thick.

http://vampowerpro.com/store/pid_166.htm

I won't get mine until late next week, so I'm researching the thing to death! I'm trying to find viable options for 15 minute mains on a tight technical track, roughly 100x50 ft. How many people are running the Losi 4S 5000 mah pack and the 14T pinion? Is it working out well?

Finally, a VIDEO!!!

http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...OSA0803_HI.wmv
Old 10-17-2008, 04:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 209 (99%+)

Hey guys I just got my 8ight-E from Ultimate Hobbies yesterday and it looks really nice. However, I have a few questions if you guys would be so kind as to help me out. Keep in mind I am not a nitro guy so this is my very first 1/8 scale buggy. With that said here goes.

1. What type of pinions are needed to replace the supplied pinion? I am assuming the bore size is pretty large right compared to the normal run of the mill pinions. A link to where I could order a few would be great.

2. Are the bodies that come with these available by themselves or can I just get a 8ight nitro body and create my own holes for air flow? The reason I ask is I would like to send this one to my paint guy to have painted up nice for race day however he is booked so it might be a couple weeks before I get it back. I would rather not wait that long to try this thing out. So I was really hoping that I could paint one up for a good "practice body" in the meantime. Please advise.

3. The connector that comes on the ESC. Would it be advisable to remove that and replace with Dean's as that is what all of my batteries (Max Amps 6000mAh 4S) have or should I just look into getting an adapter for to go from this plug to Dean's? What exactly is this type of plug called? Does it have name? I mean this is the first one like this I have seen.

4. I need servo advise. I am not afraid to spend the money to get a good servo however I want to get the right one when I buy. What do you guys suggest?

Thanks to anyone that is willing to take the time to share their knowledge and help me. It will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-17-2008, 05:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hlpressley View Post
Hey guys I just got my 8ight-E from Ultimate Hobbies yesterday and it looks really nice. However, I have a few questions if you guys would be so kind as to help me out. Keep in mind I am not a nitro guy so this is my very first 1/8 scale buggy. With that said here goes.

1. What type of pinions are needed to replace the supplied pinion? I am assuming the bore size is pretty large right compared to the normal run of the mill pinions. A link to where I could order a few would be great.

2. Are the bodies that come with these available by themselves or can I just get a 8ight nitro body and create my own holes for air flow? The reason I ask is I would like to send this one to my paint guy to have painted up nice for race day however he is booked so it might be a couple weeks before I get it back. I would rather not wait that long to try this thing out. So I was really hoping that I could paint one up for a good "practice body" in the meantime. Please advise.

3. The connector that comes on the ESC. Would it be advisable to remove that and replace with Dean's as that is what all of my batteries (Max Amps 6000mAh 4S) have or should I just look into getting an adapter for to go from this plug to Dean's? What exactly is this type of plug called? Does it have name? I mean this is the first one like this I have seen.

4. I need servo advise. I am not afraid to spend the money to get a good servo however I want to get the right one when I buy. What do you guys suggest?

Thanks to anyone that is willing to take the time to share their knowledge and help me. It will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
1. Pinions are going to be called Mod1 for motors with a 5mm shaft. Mod1 refers to the pitch of the teeth. Novak, RC-Monster.com, and Robinson Racing all make pinions for your application. You should get look into getting a 13t, 14t, and 15t to go along with the 16t that comes on the car. That will give you a good range of options for different tracks.

2. The bodies are available alone. I would try to stay with the 8e body if you can because the vents not only allow airflow, but provide a ton of clearance for the battery and speed control. You would have to cut up a regular body pretty good to clear the battery.

3. I would go with a deans connector. I think Losi calls their connector an EC5 connector.

4. I ran a Hitec 7955tg in mine and loved it. I am going to try a JR 9001t now that my Hitec finally gave out. In general you want to look for something that has a metal gear train, has 150-200+ oz-in. in torque, and a transit speed of .10-.15. They may be a little more expensive, but a servo in that range is going to perform great.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 209 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Racerx336 View Post
1. Pinions are going to be called Mod1 for motors with a 5mm shaft. Mod1 refers to the pitch of the teeth. Novak, RC-Monster.com, and Robinson Racing all make pinions for your application. You should get look into getting a 13t, 14t, and 15t to go along with the 16t that comes on the car. That will give you a good range of options for different tracks.

2. The bodies are available alone. I would try to stay with the 8e body if you can because the vents not only allow airflow, but provide a ton of clearance for the battery and speed control. You would have to cut up a regular body pretty good to clear the battery.

3. I would go with a deans connector. I think Losi calls their connector an EC5 connector.

4. I ran a Hitec 7955tg in mine and loved it. I am going to try a JR 9001t now that my Hitec finally gave out. In general you want to look for something that has a metal gear train, has 150-200+ oz-in. in torque, and a transit speed of .10-.15. They may be a little more expensive, but a servo in that range is going to perform great.

Hey THANKS a bunch man! I really appreciate your help. Thanks again.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:02 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by spcpicard View Post
Yes I found this true also, I was pretty disappointed and this is with the E 8ight body not only the standard body. I purchased 2 of the losi 4 cell 5000's since I figured they would fit perfect but they definitely hit the body that came with my E 8ight roller, I didn't notice the esc hitting it though, I guess it's because the battery caught all of my attention or maybe it clears the E 8ight body.

The Zippy-R 4 cell 4800's do fit nicely in the battery tray though. What gives with the enormous wire that the zippy's come with??? I swear it must be like 6 guage, It was definitely challenging to soldier on the EC5 connectors to the huge wire.

I am plannig on getting a zippy 5s,Think it will fit?
(losi convesion and body so far)
to buy list madusa 2200,mm and bat
thanks
braaaaaaaaa
Old 10-17-2008, 08:13 PM
Tech Regular

got my chassis milled out via dremel. now my motor mount sits right on the chassis,help disapate heat.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (98%+)

i have the race roller set up and I think it is too soft for the E8
It weighs 8lbs 8oz and feels heavier than my 8 and rc8
the race roller set up is too soft for me
The chassis slaps too much and am losing speed bec of this
i feel my rc8 is faster than my E8 right now
I lost a race with all 1/8 brushless bec the front was hitting the jumps the wrong way
what set up do you guys use bec for me the standard roller 8 set up seems to be too soft for the E8
And i have alot of cogging with less than 1/8 throttle, it seems that it is not as accurate and as fast as my b44 with a LRP and 4.5
thanks
Old 10-17-2008, 09:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Weight

Originally Posted by DRRC View Post
i have the race roller set up and I think it is too soft for the E8
It weighs 8lbs 8oz and feels heavier than my 8 and rc8
the race roller set up is too soft for me
The chassis slaps too much and am losing speed bec of this
i feel my rc8 is faster than my E8 right now
I lost a race with all 1/8 brushless bec the front was hitting the jumps the wrong way
what set up do you guys use bec for me the standard roller 8 set up seems to be too soft for the E8
And i have alot of cogging with less than 1/8 throttle, it seems that it is not as accurate and as fast as my b44 with a LRP and 4.5
thanks
I was wondering the same thing. After assembling my conversion it feels heavier than a standard Nitro 8ight. Anyone compared the weight of each car?

Some suspension adjustments might be in order.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.