Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread >

Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread

Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 08:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jetcam2 View Post
Hi Guys, I am insyallling a Tekin 1700kv buggy motor on my new 8E 2.0. and ran into a few issues I listed them below. Plese let me know how to resolve or work around these issues.
1) the ESC wire will not reach the stock receiver box.
2) the on/off switch will not reach the front box
3) what size and lenth screws are need to mount the Tekin to the losi mount.
4) can I rotate the front plate so the motor wires are are in a better position.
5) What pinions work best with the losi mount
6) What gearing should I start with running 5S ( I think stock is 18/46)

Thanks in advance
Chris
Originally Posted by rocketron View Post
Your running on quite small track it seems but here are a couple things to look at.

#1 is the battery balance charged or in good balance

#2 16/45 on such a small track maybe too much. At many tracks 15/45 was commonly used

#3 If you go 5S drive several teeth in pinion or hang on

#4 From what you say above the ESC is NOT calibrated properly. The EPA must be set to 100% and then you can reduce EPA for either brake or throttle but not increase either. You say 90% which in your case could easily be 100%

#5 Is the ESC updated to the latest firmware?

#6 Brakes will eat run time and could lead to shorter times too

Hope something here helps you out...
Originally Posted by Electric Dave View Post
I finally remembered to bring the video camera to the track and got a friend to take some video of my new 8ight-Te 2.0 and 8ight-e 2.0. The video is clips from qual rounds and the A mains. All focusing on my vehicles. I trimmed it as much as I could. Have a look (watch it in HQ for the best view) and let me know what you think!

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Originally Posted by shanty140 View Post
The reason why people are not going with highier volts is that seemply anything highier is overkill and not needed. Also makes it so the battery is lighter and makes the overall balance of the car better. I normally run with a 4S 5000mah and ran my friends 5S that he uses for his truggy. I couldn't believe the defference on how the car felt just with that little bit of extra weight. It just felt lazy. Of corse my car was setup for 4S but if you don't need the power I would stay will 4S. If you are running a lower kv motor thats a little different. Running a lower kv motor and highier voltage is more efficent and will run cooler then a highier kv motor and lower voltage moving at the same RPM's. At that point you got to make the decison do you want more to be more efficent, or more balanced in the car. Of corse you can run a highier voltage and lower mah to get the same weight. This is just my opinon on the subject and it may differ from others.

Shawn
Originally Posted by spcpicard View Post
I've been running a 1700 on 4s for about 4 months now, I've tried 2100 and 1700 on 5s and the 1700 just feels alot smoother to me. I am running 16/44 and it feels awesome and it keeps up the 2650 on 4s that most of the other guys are running. Here is a vid of one of the local club races, mine is the one with the orange wheels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR0EU1U0gjI

After about 50 pages of reading these are some really good posts.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jube View Post
Dangerwr are you setting your ride height with the buggy rtr?
RTR? I have the 8ight Nitro buggy kit that started out as a 1.0 converted to brushless then upgraded to 2.0 components . . .
Old 07-24-2009, 08:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by XXXDad View Post
Stick with the Drake set-up and make sure when you build your shocks you have full rebound! Set your droop to 95 mm in the front and make sure the A arm's are not bowed! The E conversion is the best on the market! Don't change a thing!
This is very good info. I like the Drake setup a lot so I would like to stick with it. I think my problem is that I do not fill the shocks to allow for full rebound. I usually set mine to rebound about 3/8" as instructed in the Nitro manual--maybe that is my problem. I need to set the droop too and then worry about the ride height.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:03 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dangerwr View Post
RTR? I have the 8ight Nitro buggy kit that started out as a 1.0 converted to brushless then upgraded to 2.0 components . . .

i think he means ready to race.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:32 PM
Tech Regular

I have the 1.0 buggy with the Losi conversion kit. Just recently purchased used from here.

Here is my concern:

I have the 15t losi mod 1 pinion.

When I install that pinion, it sounds like the pinion and the spur is not meshing properly. When it runs, it sounds quite loud, and it has a rough feel to it.

The roller itself is smooth (without the motor), and the pinion and spur it not loose or too tight together. So I don't know how to make it sound like the gear meshes together better.

(Someone else also pointed out that the losi pinion comes loose, and it happened to me too on a test run)

Any suggestions would be great, and thank you.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:29 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by vannon View Post
I have the 1.0 buggy with the Losi conversion kit. Just recently purchased used from here.

Here is my concern:

When I install that pinion, it sounds like the pinion and the spur is not meshing properly. When it runs, it sounds quite loud, and it has a rough feel to it.

The roller itself is smooth (without the motor), and the pinion and spur it not loose or too tight together. So I don't know how to make it sound like the gear meshes together better.

(Someone else also pointed out that the losi pinion comes loose, and it happened to me too on a test run)

are you running a metal spur or a plastic ? is the spur touching the mount ? i used a .1 shim on the flanged bearing to keep the spur from rubbing on the mount.

FWIW i had my first issue with the new RX8 System today....it's workable for now but tekin will be getting a call on monday for sure.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:45 PM
Tech Regular

Hi Integra,

Should the spur be plastic or metal? It would have been the spur from the losi conversion kit.

Originally Posted by Integra View Post
are you running a metal spur or a plastic ? is the spur touching the mount ? i used a .1 shim on the flanged bearing to keep the spur from rubbing on the mount.

FWIW i had my first issue with the new RX8 System today....it's workable for now but tekin will be getting a call on monday for sure.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Hi Integra,

Should the spur be plastic or metal? It would have been the spur from the losi conversion kit.
The spur that is with the conversion is plastic. Mine is also a little on the loud side, but not too bad.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:01 AM
Tech Rookie

I have losi 8ight E 2.0 with 45t on stock center diff. Got the center smart diff(losa3601) and it has 48t and rubs on the chassis. Looks like 43t, 44t, & 45t are the correct spur gears for my car. Its says its a dirrect drop in then why would it come with a gear thats to big to fit in the car?
Old 07-26-2009, 04:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xevious613 View Post
I have losi 8ight E 2.0 with 45t on stock center diff. Got the center smart diff(losa3601) and it has 48t and rubs on the chassis. Looks like 43t, 44t, & 45t are the correct spur gears for my car. Its says its a dirrect drop in then why would it come with a gear thats to big to fit in the car?
direct drop in for the nitro buggy, not for the electric.

just change your 45 spur out for the 48, as it is a direct swap. just becareful when you take the spur off the smart diff that the guts dont spring out everywhere
Old 07-26-2009, 06:02 AM
Tech Rookie

WOW, an answer in only 2 hours! Been waiting for days on another site! You guys rock. Thanks
Old 07-26-2009, 08:07 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by xevious613 View Post
WOW, an answer in only 2 hours! Been waiting for days on another site! You guys rock. Thanks

If you post in the busy hours you'll normally get a response within the hr....also PM'ing a user who's all about that 1 brand would work very well.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Here is my concern:

Sounds like your gear mesh is too tight.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:47 PM
Tech Regular

Can anyone tell me what hex driver I need for my 8ight 2.0? I bought a kit used and didnt get any tools with it. And my current tool kit is metric. Thanks
Old 07-26-2009, 04:36 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by yfzracer912 View Post
Can anyone tell me what hex driver I need for my 8ight 2.0? I bought a kit used and didnt get any tools with it. And my current tool kit is metric. Thanks

the losi tools are Very nice so are the EDS so are the hudy so are the dynamite....see where im goin......there's Standard tools in almost any brand....pick your handle and your good to go.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.