Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread >

Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread

Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 06:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i was talking about runtime in general whether it be batt life or anything else.any relief of heat is better for the system as a whole.thats all im trying to say.and the esc settings,thats what im refering to when i say adjust drag brake.any time you can draw heat away,its better for what ever,the esc or the motor.a cooler running motor will always be better,keep from thermaling on sensored motors and keep from burning up non sensored motors and a cooler motor will run better longer due to the fact when there is alot of heat generated friction goes to work causing strain on bearings and other internal parts keeping the motor from operating smoothly and efficiently and will cause a motor to work harder and break down.therefore,longer runtime.like i said before,im not a pro nor am i trying to sound like one,just trying to help out and by no means debate anything.i have been doing this for a while,9th gade and i will be 35 in december so i have seen alot and learned alot about the way these things work.my first rc was the LUNCHBOX an an ULTIMA,both with mechanical speed controls.wow!that was long ago.LOL.I remember when my buddy got an rc10 goldtub and we thought that was one advanced machine,lol,now look whats out there.i know what all you are saying just putting in my $.02

Last edited by jeremy reed; 06-30-2009 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:46 AM
Tech Addict

ok guys i have sort of been following this thread a bit aswell as looked at other sites and stuff about these brushless and lipo's etc and the general idea im getting for the losi-8-E with xcelorin is to use the 14.4 volt 4s 25c lipo's can i ask why is that? why not any higher in voltage?
Old 07-01-2009, 09:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by downunder23 View Post
ok guys i have sort of been following this thread a bit aswell as looked at other sites and stuff about these brushless and lipo's etc and the general idea im getting for the losi-8-E with xcelorin is to use the 14.4 volt 4s 25c lipo's can i ask why is that? why not any higher in voltage?
The reason why people are not going with highier volts is that seemply anything highier is overkill and not needed. Also makes it so the battery is lighter and makes the overall balance of the car better. I normally run with a 4S 5000mah and ran my friends 5S that he uses for his truggy. I couldn't believe the defference on how the car felt just with that little bit of extra weight. It just felt lazy. Of corse my car was setup for 4S but if you don't need the power I would stay will 4S. If you are running a lower kv motor thats a little different. Running a lower kv motor and highier voltage is more efficent and will run cooler then a highier kv motor and lower voltage moving at the same RPM's. At that point you got to make the decison do you want more to be more efficent, or more balanced in the car. Of corse you can run a highier voltage and lower mah to get the same weight. This is just my opinon on the subject and it may differ from others.

Shawn
Old 07-01-2009, 10:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shanty140 View Post
The reason why people are not going with highier volts is that seemply anything highier is overkill and not needed. Also makes it so the battery is lighter and makes the overall balance of the car better. I normally run with a 4S 5000mah and ran my friends 5S that he uses for his truggy. I couldn't believe the defference on how the car felt just with that little bit of extra weight. It just felt lazy. Of corse my car was setup for 4S but if you don't need the power I would stay will 4S. If you are running a lower kv motor thats a little different. Running a lower kv motor and highier voltage is more efficent and will run cooler then a highier kv motor and lower voltage moving at the same RPM's. At that point you got to make the decison do you want more to be more efficent, or more balanced in the car. Of corse you can run a highier voltage and lower mah to get the same weight. This is just my opinon on the subject and it may differ from others.

Shawn
That's not completely accurate. Yes if you go from a 4S 5000mah with a 2200 kv motor and switch to a 5S 5000 and the same 2200 kv motor it will be way overkill and heavier than it needs to be. However, if you switch to a 5S 4000mah with a 1800 kv motor you will have a car that is just as light, just as powerfull, but runs cooler and probably a little longer.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shanty140 View Post

Shawn
Higher voltage doent mean you need a heavier battery. 4s 5000mah has the same amount of energy that a 5s 4000mah pack does or a 6s 3300mah pack does. They will all weigh nearly the same as well, and the prices are usually pretty comparable too.

Choose your voltage, choose a motor with an apropriate kv for that voltage and then choose the battery size that will support the run times your race format requires. It should all come out to about the same weight no matter what the voltage.

Voltage is your friend IMO. If you can run a higher voltage with a lower KV motor then do it. Only reason I can see for not running higher voltages is if your track requires ROAR specs be followed or if you already have 2s packs for your 1/10 stuff you want to use.

Also, keep in mind, a heavy pack can be your friend in some conditions if you think of it as a tuning aid. A little heavier car tends to work better on very rough tracks. It allows the suspension to work more without the car getting tossed arround. I recently raced on an extremely windy day and the cars were getting tossed all over the place on the jumps. I wound up running bigger heavier packs that day just to keep the effect of the wind on the car down. It helped alot.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jhautz View Post
Higher voltage doent mean you need a heavier battery. 4s 5000mah has the same amount of energy that a 5s 4000mah pack does or a 6s 3300mah pack does. They will all weigh nearly the same as well, and the prices are usually pretty comparable too.
Thats what I said. I said you can run a highier voltage with lower mah to get about the same weight.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Hey guys I want to loosen up the rear of my buggy (e 2.0)a bit. Preferably off power, entering turns. I run basically box setup with 45F/35R and silver springs all around. I was thinking of going to a longer wheelbase, softer front sway bar or shorter rear camber link. What do you guys suggest? I am also running crime fronts and bowtie rears. Thanks guys for any suggestions.......
Old 07-01-2009, 05:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jeremy reed View Post
im getting about 16-17 minutes with no drag brake,the 15t pinion,and the losi 14.8v 4s battery.i would also highly recomend the losi heatsinc.i live in the fire hole called south alabama and its been about 98-100 deg and very very humid and i was running 180-190 deg.when i put the heatsinc on it went down to 160.that thing is a motor saver for sure.the best $30 you will spend.
I'm running the heatsink too, think it is definitely a good idea! Was your 160temp after a full battery or after a heat (so after 5 mins, or 15)?

I'm going to try to measure mine but at first will be measuring after a 5 min heat, what would be a safe temp after this much time if I'm also planning 20 min finals?

Has anyone using the heat sink had any heat issues?
Old 07-01-2009, 05:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Has anyone used the 1700kv motor on 4s? Would this run cooler than the 2100, or in reality would it be hotter because you'd be pushing it more to get performance?
Old 07-01-2009, 06:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Bman's 3XNT View Post
Hey guys I want to loosen up the rear of my buggy (e 2.0)a bit. Preferably off power, entering turns. I run basically box setup with 45F/35R and silver springs all around. I was thinking of going to a longer wheelbase, softer front sway bar or shorter rear camber link. What do you guys suggest? I am also running crime fronts and bowtie rears. Thanks guys for any suggestions.......
My car has insane corner speed... I'll finish testing my current setup this weekend.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:51 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by DaveG28 View Post
I'm running the heatsink too, think it is definitely a good idea! Was your 160temp after a full battery or after a heat (so after 5 mins, or 15)?

I'm going to try to measure mine but at first will be measuring after a 5 min heat, what would be a safe temp after this much time if I'm also planning 20 min finals?

IT WAS ABOUT 160-165 AFTER A 12 MIN MAIN,AFTER THE 4 MIN HEAT IT WAS ONLY LIKE 147
Old 07-01-2009, 06:54 PM
Tech Adept

LET ME KNOW IF YOU MAKE THE 20MIN MAIN AND HOW YOU DID IT AND WITH WHAT BATT.IM RUNNING THE LOSI 4S 5000 ON A BIG TRACK AND GONNA TRY THE 16T WITH NO DRAG AND THE EPA TURNED DOWN A BIT MORE ON THE THROTTLE TO SEE IF I CAN GET 20.WE USUALLY ONLY RUN 12 BUT WE ARE HAVING A CHARITY RACE WITH 20 MIN MAINS AND I NEED TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET IT,THANKS,JEREMY
Old 07-01-2009, 07:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Has anyone used the 1700kv motor on 4s? Would this run cooler than the 2100, or in reality would it be hotter because you'd be pushing it more to get performance?
i run that setup and after 15 mins of hard running at the track comes off at 155 to 165 and i like that combo plenty of power but not overkill
Old 07-01-2009, 08:36 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TeckLancer View Post
i run that setup and after 15 mins of hard running at the track comes off at 155 to 165 and i like that combo plenty of power but not overkill

how long run time can ya get with that combo?
Old 07-01-2009, 09:07 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I've been running a 1700 on 4s for about 4 months now, I've tried 2100 and 1700 on 5s and the 1700 just feels alot smoother to me. I am running 16/44 and it feels awesome and it keeps up the 2650 on 4s that most of the other guys are running. Here is a vid of one of the local club races, mine is the one with the orange wheels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR0EU1U0gjI

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.