Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread >

Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread

Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 09:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

There are a lot of chargers on the market that do a good job balancing during the charge.

I am NOT saying do not use the maint balancer devices - not at all i use them too at the end of the day. But have seen way to many users think that they will balance a battery during a charge LIKE a balance charger will do. Some times batteries can get far out of balance and only using one of these devices during a charge will not rebalance, and the next thing you know is a ruined battery.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tfa8rva View Post
Huh? Assuming he has a 46t spur:

46/15 = 3.06:1
46/16 = 2.87:1

Are you sure?
I think you and I are just backwards from one another. Whenever I go taller I say I go up in gear ratio. Maybe I'm saying it wrong. That's how we all talked back when I raced pedal bikes and it's been with me ever since. If I'm wrong I'd like to know.. I'm always telling guys they need to go up or down on their gear ratio. haha
Old 06-30-2009, 09:27 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rocketron View Post
There are a lot of chargers on the market that do a good job balancing during the charge.

I am NOT saying do not use the maint balancer devices - not at all i use them too at the end of the day. But have seen way to many users think that they will balance a battery during a charge LIKE a balance charger will do. Some times batteries can get far out of balance and only using one of these devices during a charge will not rebalance, and the next thing you know is a ruined battery.

I wasn't trying to start an argument.....and I apologize if it came off that way. Anyhow, i have found that if you don't overcharge, overamp, or over-discharge your lipo, then the cells will remain fairly balanced, and then a blinky is just fine to keep them in check. You can also use one of these to keep even better tabs on the individual cells. Awesome little tool.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:29 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by warpig View Post
I think you and I are just backwards from one another. Whenever I go taller I say I go up in gear ratio. Maybe I'm saying it wrong. That's how we all talked back when I raced pedal bikes and it's been with me ever since. If I'm wrong I'd like to know.. I'm always telling guys they need to go up or down on their gear ratio. haha
Well maybe someone will come on here and set us both straight.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I wasn't trying to start an argument.....and I apologize if it came off that way. Anyhow, i have found that if you don't overcharge, overamp, or over-discharge your lipo, then the cells will remain fairly balanced, and then a blinky is just fine to keep them in check. You can also use one of these to keep even better tabs on the individual cells. Awesome little tool.
LOL did not take it as an arguement at all. i agree with your statement above. IF the cells are in balance is the big question.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:39 AM
Tech Adept

If I do wind up with a cell that's way out of balance, then you're right. The blinky is a little slow to balance it. And in that case i will let it balance over night, and top it off in the morning before racing.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:19 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

X2...and a cell checker is the Best way to ensure your cell's are within spec's.

5$ can you really complain ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1S-6S-RC-Li-Po-B...3%3A1|294%3A50
Old 06-30-2009, 10:36 AM
Tech Adept

So you get more runtime with a higher tooth pinion? How is that? Wouldn't that lower your gear ratio, and therefore increase the amp draw?
if you run the smaller pinion on a big track,you are undergeared which could result in heat problems and much shorter run time.you gotta find the right pinion for your track.this could be the problem with peoples motors going bad.just because the car comes with a 15 and 16t pinion,doesnt mean that they are best for all tracks.they are just a starting point and for the most part will do but not always.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:13 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jeremy reed View Post
if you run the smaller pinion on a big track,you are undergeared which could result in heat problems and much shorter run time.you gotta find the right pinion for your track.this could be the problem with peoples motors going bad.just because the car comes with a 15 and 16t pinion,doesnt mean that they are best for all tracks.they are just a starting point and for the most part will do but not always.
Now that makes sense. But in general, I would figure a higher pinion would draw more amps under acceleration.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:41 AM
Tech Elite

If the track is more open then you'll be typically operating at a higher speed on average. In order to keep the motor operating in it's more comfortable RPM range on a higher speed large open track you have to gear up to catch up to the drive terain revolutions.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:43 AM
Tech Adept

Yeah, I get that. I just missed in his original post where he said he runs on a large track.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:36 PM
Tech Adept

the key to long run time with these monsters is to be conservative.they really have alot more power than you need in one so you really dont have to give it all its got.what i do is run down the straights with some of the fastest guys out there that day and keep turning my throttle epa down untill i have just enough speed to run with them.that saves a little so that your not giving it full juice ,that coupled with the right pinion,and little drag brake as possible=longer run time.Hey guys,dont forget the LOSI heatsink.it really does help.it lowered my temps by at least 15deg which also = longer run time.these things really are waaaay overpowered so dont be affraid to do some down tuning to the powerplant to be as efficient as possible.i think you will find by doing what i have said you will get more from your package,im no pro by any means and dont wanna come off trying to sound like one but things i suggest are from experience.hope these little tips help some of ya.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by warpig View Post
I refer to it this way also. The closer that you get to a 1:1 ratio the taller the gear. Thats why drag racers run lower gears like 4.10:1 or even lower to get the rpms up in a shorter distance. Clear as mud?
Old 06-30-2009, 05:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

[QUOTE=jeremy reed;6005959Hey guys,dont forget the LOSI heatsink.it really does help.it lowered my temps by at least 15deg which also = longer run time.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure how a heatsink would equate to longer runtimes other than to prevent possible overheating.
A heat sink just makes the heat exchange more efficient. That's how it keeps temps down. The motor's efficiency or lack thereof is still the same and therefore still pulling the same amps hence runtimes will be the same.
The only way to get longer runtimes and is to gear appropriately for your track/car and drive smoothly.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The only way to get longer runtimes and is to gear appropriately for your track/car and drive smoothly.
Also there are ESC settings.
Lower timing will result in longer run times.
Low punch will result in longer run times.
Healthy throttle curve will result in longer run times.

My 2200kv Castle-Neu on 5s 4000 packs will get 30 min run times with everyting on the ESC set to the lowest settings. It's still plenty fast.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.