Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread >

Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread

Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 11:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Originally Posted by warpig View Post
I am sure the losi battery works fine but I did not choose it because it is 628g and the SMC is 502g and is a much nicer battery for less money. Just a thought.
Is it hard cased?
Old 04-15-2009, 12:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

No, it is not. I haven't found a reason to have a hard cased battery.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

No, it is not. I haven't found a reason to have a hard cased battery.
I'm a numpty and keep dropping my batteries!!

Nab seriously, not sure of the pro's and con's, but a fair few places here in the uk demand hardcased to allow you to run 10th, though normally that's for indoor meetings, but I may get more restricted race options if I go soft cased!
Old 04-15-2009, 12:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That's why some of us are pushing for a standardized tray that can protect a wide array of soft lipos. That way, the governing bodies can't entirely control the class, allowing for purpose spec batteries. Low capacity packs for heats and practice, and large capacity packs for mains and longer races. That makes allot more sense than boxing in a few approved batteries, thus driving the prices to stupid heights. Why would anyone pay $250 for a battery, when they can do a little research and get something that does EXACTLY the same thing for $70?
Old 04-15-2009, 01:00 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by R40Victim View Post
That's why some of us are pushing for a standardized tray that can protect a wide array of soft lipos. That way, the governing bodies can't entirely control the class, allowing for purpose spec batteries. Low capacity packs for heats and practice, and large capacity packs for mains and longer races. That makes allot more sense than boxing in a few approved batteries, thus driving the prices to stupid heights. Why would anyone pay $250 for a battery, when they can do a little research and get something that does EXACTLY the same thing for $70?
I have designed a part for the Losi tray that will attach to it to partially capsulate the battery and make it very easy to take in and out for fast battery swaps for pitting. I have a machinist in my local area that I can hire to build this on a larger scale if I see a demand for it.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:04 PM
Tech Champion

I have designed a part for the Losi tray that will attach to it to partially capsulate the battery and make it very easy to take in and out for fast battery swaps for pitting. I have a machinist in my local area that I can hire to build this on a larger scale if I see a demand for it.
I want one! I'd love to have something like that to show to people. If manufacturing it is relatively simple, and not terribly expensive, it'd certainly be more appealing than a simple hard cased lipo for 3 times the price.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:15 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by R40Victim View Post
I want one! I'd love to have something like that to show to people. If manufacturing it is relatively simple, and not terribly expensive, it'd certainly be more appealing than a simple hard cased lipo for 3 times the price.
The part itself would be cheaper than the price difference between a single soft case and a hard cased lipo. I have some decisions to make as far as how to make it versitile for all lipos before I can present it to the guy.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:23 PM
Tech Champion

The part itself would be cheaper than the price difference between a single soft case and a hard cased lipo. I have some decisions to make as far as how to make it versitile for all lipos before I can present it to the guy.
Well, just take into consideration the purpose it would serve. Protect a wide variety of soft packs, and allow for multiple mounting options. Maybe build it so it can lay on its side, or flat(so they can decide how they want their CG to be) and a simple attachment, that encases the lipo, allowing for multiple batteries. Meaning, one tray or adapter, that you can buy several cases for and snap in place for longer mains. THAT would be cool, and far more acceptable than overpriced, really heavy hard cased packs.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Hey, any of you guys running the losi esc with the most current firmware matched up with a tekno neu motor? if so, how smooth is the bottom end? any cogging?

I have a 5s and the neu 1512 3d/f and was using the mmm v3. there was a tiny bit of cogging but not real noticeable. anyway, monday I had a pretty bad crash and my MMM broke apart (no zip tie was used. only 2 sided servo tape) and needs some major repair. I was considering getting the losi esc if you guys think the lastest firmware has made it better. thanks for your feedback
Old 04-15-2009, 07:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pete Taulbee View Post
I was considering getting the losi esc if you guys think the lastest firmware has made it better. thanks for your feedback
Mine works great...very driveable once I got a 1300...LOL I run on smaller tracks and the 2100 was WAY too much. I love driving that thing.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:38 PM
Tech Addict

Joe, do you run a 6s with the 1300?
Old 04-15-2009, 07:53 PM
Tech Elite

Joe, do you run a 6s with the 1300?
Nope...4s Losi pack. Plenty fast for me. The other guys can motor me (a little) at the end of the straight, but it's SO much more driveable everywhere else that I think that overall, I'm much faster.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:28 PM
Tech Addict

very interesting. how is runtime? motor/esc temps? track size?
Old 04-16-2009, 06:48 AM
Tech Elite

very interesting. how is runtime? motor/esc temps? track size?
It runs a long time. I've never really timed a full run, but it ran well over 15 the other night. We had an 8 minute main, then I let a couple other guys run it for at least that long afterwards. The motor was fairly warm after that long, but was with no fans or anything. The ESC never gets warm.

I usually run at Pegasus (~100 feet) and OCRC (~80 feet). I actually bought a Novak to use at OCRC, because that's what pretty much averyone runs there, but there's pretty much no chance that I'm ever gonna use it at this point, because the Losi works really well and it installs really clean.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:09 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

these are the batts that I run, I like them because there is plenty of room to move the battery front back or middle, letting me play with weight bias. These don't come in stock often and probably will be gone by monday.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...0mAh_4S1P_30C_

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.