Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread >

Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread

Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 11:19 AM
Tech Apprentice

My experience racing the Tekno/Mugen conversion kit was awesome! I got the car 2 days before the Silver State race in Vegas. I had very little experience with electric 1/8th scale. I have to say Daniel from Tekno has an excellent product that I would recommend to all my friends. The clutch is phenomenal! I will say that the with all the heavy electronics it puts a stress on the car. I broke a rear plastic block on the car when I landed wrong off a jump. That's just the nature of racing. Check out the results on liverc.com

Ronda
Old 04-11-2009, 03:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Yes, I am impressed with the Xcelorin system with the 2100kv motor. It's super smooth and has more power than I need. I have my EPA at 82% on throttle and I'm not sure on brake (I know I turned it down though). It is faster than any nitro I've ever ran and easier to drive. I hasn't gotten hot and hasn't flinched even once.

I am running the latest firmware as well. I used the losi programming card at the track and it is super easy to use and very quick to program. It takes the new program in like half a second and it's ready to go.

Ben
Old 04-15-2009, 04:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Has anyone used the losi recommended 4S lipo? What is power/runtime like? Also what balance connector does it have?
Old 04-15-2009, 05:51 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm planning on running 4S 4000 packs...........Should I get the CC with 2200kv or the 2650kv?
Old 04-15-2009, 07:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DaveG28 View Post
Has anyone used the losi recommended 4S lipo? What is power/runtime like? Also what balance connector does it have?
I have one, and ended up replacing the balance connector with one that fits the blinky. Now I can balance ALL my packs with one device. The connector that came on mine was a PITA, and because of it, I thought there was something wrong with my charger or my battery. I ended up breaking the hard case open so I could figure out what's going on. It's works fine now with the new connector.

As for power and run time. It will run for 20-23 minutes in my 8ight E. It performs exactly the same as the 4900 20C rhino pack I got. 1 cell was always a little low, and it has begun to puff. I'm pretty good with my batteries, always keeping them charged, balanced and never running them down too low. So if it goes poof, it wasn't due to poor care.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R40Victim View Post
I have one, and ended up replacing the balance connector with one that fits the blinky. Now I can balance ALL my packs with one device. The connector that came on mine was a PITA, and because of it, I thought there was something wrong with my charger or my battery. I ended up breaking the hard case open so I could figure out what's going on. It's works fine now with the new connector.

As for power and run time. It will run for 20-23 minutes in my 8ight E. It performs exactly the same as the 4900 20C rhino pack I got. 1 cell was always a little low, and it has begun to puff. I'm pretty good with my batteries, always keeping them charged, balanced and never running them down too low. So if it goes poof, it wasn't due to poor care.
R40,
I'm runnin a Blinky too and when I got it we just tweeked a couple pins on it to fit the Losi balance plug and it seems to be workin fine.

I was told by a Losi dude that the Blinky really doesn't do a great job at actually fully balancing the cells and that after longtime use it really needs to be balance charged with a quality charger and that it might take quite a while to get them dialed.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by F N CUDA View Post
R40,
I'm runnin a Blinky too and when I got it we just tweeked a couple pins on it to fit the Losi balance plug and it seems to be workin fine.

I was told by a Losi dude that the Blinky really doesn't do a great job at actually fully balancing the cells and that after longtime use it really needs to be balance charged with a quality charger and that it might take quite a while to get them dialed.
The BLINKY does a good job balancing BUT it is a MAINTENANCE device and in most cases will NOT balance a battery pack during the length of time a charge will take. If a battery pack gets out of balance a device like the blinky can take 6 hours and possibly up to 24 to truely balance the cells. This is not bad but be aware that this type of device does NOT replace a balance charger.

Losi has a really nice maintenance device available now as well with connectors for most batteries included ... LOSB9625
Old 04-15-2009, 08:22 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by rocketron View Post
The BLINKY does a good job balancing BUT it is a MAINTENANCE device and in most cases will NOT balance a battery pack during the length of time a charge will take. If a battery pack gets out of balance a device like the blinky can take 6 hours and possibly up to 24 to truely balance the cells. This is not bad but be aware that this type of device does NOT replace a balance charger.

Losi has a really nice maintenance device available now as well with connectors for most batteries included ... LOSB9625
Oh yeah, I know that. But up until I replaced the connector, I couldn't balance my packs at all! I do end up leaving it on there for hours sometimes, but typically just between charges, or at the end of a race day.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:46 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Ive been told the blinky will do its job in the time it takes to charge and No more.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rocketron View Post

Thanks Ron,
Wasn't exactly sure how that works.

Maybe see you tonite? Dust it off and lay it down.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:54 AM
Tech Master

Sorry guys, what pin type is it? I've got a Bantam BC6 charger and need to know which board I would need for it to balance the Losi battery??

Also, what other comparable (4S, 5000 or more mah, hard case, same size) cells are out there?
Old 04-15-2009, 10:56 AM
Tech Champion

Also, what other comparable (4S, 5000 or more mah, hard case, same size) cells are out there?
Not many, but more will become available. So far, they're just too darn expensive, so we've been using these:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...0C_Lipoly_Pack
Old 04-15-2009, 11:00 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Sorry guys, what pin type is it? I've got a Bantam BC6 charger and need to know which board I would need for it to balance the Losi battery??

Check out the 4S lipo coming out from SMC. It will be available with the option for hardcase and is a 40C pack. I think its a 5200 or 5400mah pack but I forget... Will run for the same price as the Losi pack and probably better cells to boot too.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:19 AM
Tech Master

Found an answer, it's thunderpower connectors apparently! All I need is the relevant board and the BC6 will balance charge it!

So, am looking at getting the eight 2.0e race roller and the losi battery as an electric 8th, any reason to avoid or am I all good?

Will the included esc protect my receiver from the extra voltage ok?
Old 04-15-2009, 11:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Found an answer, it's thunderpower connectors apparently! All I need is the relevant board and the BC6 will balance charge it!

So, am looking at getting the eight 2.0e race roller and the losi battery as an electric 8th, any reason to avoid or am I all good?

Will the included esc protect my receiver from the extra voltage ok?
I am sure the losi battery works fine but I did not choose it because it is 628g and the SMC is 502g and is a much nicer battery for less money. Just a thought.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.