Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 11:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rebal
Just picked one up and am having some trouble with the ESC software and operation. Software gives you the ability to adjust initial throttle response with choices of low, med or high. Mine has high only and horizon says to use the throttle curve instead to adjust. It would be nice to have the software work right! Second issue is when going reverse throttle back to neutral motor speed slows a little and then slams to a stop. No software adjustments seem to change this. Again not critical probably but the slam is hard enough it seems damage could be done. Anyone one else??
Decrease your EPA to 80% on your radio and it smooths it out quite a bit. I run 85% and it's really smooth.

You should know that when I first got my car and set up the ESC it didn't work correctly. It had a huge power surge when just easing into the throttle. I reset the ESC and set it up again and it is remarkably smooth. I'm very impressed with it.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rebal
Just picked one up and am having some trouble with the ESC software and operation. Software gives you the ability to adjust initial throttle response with choices of low, med or high. Mine has high only and horizon says to use the throttle curve instead to adjust. It would be nice to have the software work right! Second issue is when going reverse throttle back to neutral motor speed slows a little and then slams to a stop. No software adjustments seem to change this. Again not critical probably but the slam is hard enough it seems damage could be done. Anyone one else??
The original software provided Low, Med, and High initial start. The low and medium were removed after inital release. There is now only High, i would suggest you try 10 to 15% neg expo on the transmitter first.
Reverse the car stops as you mention on the violent side but its better than rolling into on coming traffic.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:03 PM
Tech Regular

Default Losi 8 Gearing

Hi Folks

Can anyone tell me where to start with gearing for a novak 7.5 w/4 cell I'm not sure of our track size but I'd guess it to be approx 80' X 150'.

Thanks
Old 04-09-2009, 12:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by warpig
I just ran my smart diff yesterday in my 8ight-E 2.0 and the car was unreal. The track conditions were so dusty that I had rooster tails 15' back. Not to mention, the bumps and the jumps on the track were horrible. The track has been sitting all winter and is really messed up. I could drive the car with confidence in these conditions and square up perfectly in any situation. I was impressed!

There were about 5 other 8ights there (nitro) and I was helping them with setup adjustments and trying out their cars and there was definitely a difference in being able to square up. There is a large jump about 12' tall and out of a corner which is normally really difficult. Due to the bumps and the loose dirt everywhere it was much more difficult. With my car I went as straight as it would if there were no bumps. The other cars I had to make adjustments as I ascended up the face of the jump.

The other thing I noticed is I could pitch the car into corners in the weirdest fashon and come out perfect. There is a 180 on the end of the straight and I could take the inside line on the straight and pitch it hard and apex the corner early and be off to the next section in a blink and keeping it tight at about 2" from the pipe with the bumps. I've never driven a car so dialed. Especially on a track like this.

I used no brakes driving my car. It is an E car so it does have a small amount of drag brake (4%). But, still... All the nitros with no smart diff required brakes to pitch the car...

Just thought I'd share my first smart diff experience.

I ran center only with two .15's and a well lubed diff with losi grease.

Ben
My car weighs about the same, I posted some pics a while back on the scale. I agree that with the 2 .15's in the center it feels dialed. I also run the SD in the front but with 4 .15's I like being lighter as it's easier to just run the nitro setups.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by spcpicard
My car weighs about the same, I posted some pics a while back on the scale. I agree that with the 2 .15's in the center it feels dialed. I also run the SD in the front but with 4 .15's I like being lighter as it's easier to just run the nitro setups.
I will try the front SD in my car maybe Saturday. I am so impressed with how in handles right now that I feel I really have no need for it and may just keep it for parts. But, nothing tried nothing learned.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

I will try the front SD in my car maybe Saturday. I am so impressed with how in handles right now that I feel I really have no need for it and may just keep it for parts. But, nothing tried nothing learned.

Are you still running all stock oils and springs? Also what is your ride height? Thanks again...
Old 04-09-2009, 02:44 PM
Tech Elite

At the moment I'm running a pretty standard setup. 40wt, 54's, and silver in front, 25wt, 56's, and green in rear. My front diff is 5000 and rear is 2000. All Losi oils... My ride height I tried a couple different heights yesterday. 27mm front and 29mm rear and I dropped it a few mm later and ended up 27mm and 28mm. Running standard droop as well.

I would just set it up like the Drake setup and run it and make running changes to suit your driving. I'm sure I'll end up with a totally different setup by the end of the month. Last year I had an setup I came up with that worked really well and I may try it.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I just ran my smart diff yesterday in my 8ight-E 2.0 and the car was unreal. The track conditions were so dusty that I had rooster tails 15' back. Not to mention, the bumps and the jumps on the track were horrible. The track has been sitting all winter and is really messed up. I could drive the car with confidence in these conditions and square up perfectly in any situation. I was impressed!

There were about 5 other 8ights there (nitro) and I was helping them with setup adjustments and trying out their cars and there was definitely a difference in being able to square up. There is a large jump about 12' tall and out of a corner which is normally really difficult. Due to the bumps and the loose dirt everywhere it was much more difficult. With my car I went as straight as it would if there were no bumps. The other cars I had to make adjustments as I ascended up the face of the jump.

The other thing I noticed is I could pitch the car into corners in the weirdest fashon and come out perfect. There is a 180 on the end of the straight and I could take the inside line on the straight and pitch it hard and apex the corner early and be off to the next section in a blink and keeping it tight at about 2" from the pipe with the bumps. I've never driven a car so dialed. Especially on a track like this.

I used no brakes driving my car. It is an E car so it does have a small amount of drag brake (4%). But, still... All the nitros with no smart diff required brakes to pitch the car...

Just thought I'd share my first smart diff experience.

I ran center only with two .15's and a well lubed diff with losi grease.

Ben
Awesome! Thanks for the write-up. I will order the center diff now--I have been waiting to hear more feedback. Thanks!
Old 04-09-2009, 10:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GO-RIDE.com
Will that mount fit on the Mamba Monster? What's the part #?

Thanks!
I got mine directly from traxxas at "BuyTraxxas.com" cost $3 and took about 3 days, but it shows out of stock now.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

anyone try the l8ight model one-way? im thinking of trying it, but im not sure the 80 bux is worth it just yet. i mean mine already handles like a dream as do with my xx-4 and xxx-4 models. i have a one-way in the xxx-4 and the clicker system in the xx-4 so i was just wondering "if" it was worth the investment to try it or if it is even built to withhold the punishment of a true off-road environment.

josh
Old 04-10-2009, 07:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jrr102486
anyone try the l8ight model one-way? im thinking of trying it, but im not sure the 80 bux is worth it just yet. i mean mine already handles like a dream as do with my xx-4 and xxx-4 models. i have a one-way in the xxx-4 and the clicker system in the xx-4 so i was just wondering "if" it was worth the investment to try it or if it is even built to withhold the punishment of a true off-road environment.

josh
Do you have a link? I've been looking for a one way diff for my 8ight FOREVER!
Old 04-10-2009, 07:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R40Victim
Do you have a link? I've been looking for a one way diff for my 8ight FOREVER!
http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSA3610
Old 04-10-2009, 07:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=LOSA3610

How would using this diff help?
Old 04-10-2009, 11:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Jconcep Body

Hi. There are 2 bodies I'm cosidering for my 8ight-E.

1. Jconcepts 8ight 2.0 high flow body

2. Jconcepts 8ight heavy duty body.

Which one do you think will have more clearance for batteries and motor?

Thank you.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pete Taulbee
A one way diff only allows braking force to be applied to the rear wheels(it rolls free when off power). We've used these in on road for YEARS! Fantastic improvement when you don't have to use your brakes much or often. When running on foam tires, you could burn off your speed with mere friction. With off road, it may prove a challenge, but the benefits to a brushless converted car are HUGE! This would eliminate the need for brake bias, so motor brakes would work much better. You could roll deeper into the corner still braking, without pushing out of the turn. It's just like having mechanical brakes, without the servo. The only issue it, your brakes won't be nearly as substantial... but I think it's worth it! Only one way to find out if a One Way will work in off road...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.