Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread >

Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread

Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 11:18 PM
  #1591  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 212
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

I've recently discovered that stiffer springs work really well. Apparently it makes sense as the car is heavier, lol. The car doesn't often scrape the front of jumps anymore and doesn't bottom out as hard. It floats through rough sections securely. It basically now has the rebound it should have. Handling feels planted with good turn-in.

Basically running the Truhe setup with green springs front and black in rear. Oh and 5/10/2 in the diffs. I tried 7k in the center but the car lost its punch and just ballooned the front tires all day.
deskwarmer is offline  
Old 02-08-2009, 12:03 AM
  #1592  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (17)
 
BuggyKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Huntington Beach, Ca
Posts: 7,919
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Ya I switched to black springs in rear with 54/35 setup. Works real well. I had green springs in rear which made car push off-power. So ya works great.
BuggyKing is offline  
Old 02-08-2009, 12:57 AM
  #1593  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (16)
 
rocketron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: palm desert
Posts: 2,280
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
I have it turned down some, but that's not really a good option IMO. I think it's better to just use a slower motor and all the available throttle resolution.

I really doubt that the radio re-slopes the throttle curve...I bet it just clips the top end (AKA: "end point adjustment"). It's gonna be just as touchy everywhere, you just don't get to WOT.

Are there any other motor brands that you can use with a Losi ESC?
Turbo - you can adjust the curve between neutral and WOT and from neutral to Full Brake. There is a curve for each side - no end point changes unless your doing it on the transmitter. Also you can reduce throttle through setup if you like.
The 4 pole design motors Losi/Neu are tough to handle on the smaller indoor tracks.
You can use any Sensorless motor with the Losi esc.
rocketron is offline  
Old 02-08-2009, 01:40 AM
  #1594  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (41)
 
Turbo Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Corona, CA
Posts: 4,878
Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by rocketron View Post
Turbo - you can adjust the curve between neutral and WOT and from neutral to Full Brake. There is a curve for each side - no end point changes unless your doing it on the transmitter. Also you can reduce throttle through setup if you like.
The 4 pole design motors Losi/Neu are tough to handle on the smaller indoor tracks.
You can use any Sensorless motor with the Losi esc.
So just make the throttle curve top out at half-way (or whatever) in the software and leave the TX at full EPA value? That should work.

I *was* going to go out to Rev today...but obviously that didn't go so well...

I'm still thinkin' 1300...LOL...
Turbo Joe is offline  
Old 02-08-2009, 08:32 AM
  #1595  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (8)
 
Integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,486
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
some more..


awesome paint John.....i saw a shell like that forever ago and kinda always wanted something similar.
Integra is offline  
Old 02-08-2009, 02:00 PM
  #1596  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
littlejohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,464
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by rhino420 View Post
looks good john !!! like the paint job too !!
Thanks...

Originally Posted by Integra View Post
awesome paint John.....i saw a shell like that forever ago and kinda always wanted something similar.
Thanks... it's surprisingly easy to do..


I need to say thanks to shark413 for the drill & tap of the motor idea and colin8ight-e for the layout ideas... Makes for a very "factory" look.
littlejohn is offline  
Old 02-08-2009, 02:17 PM
  #1597  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 65
Questions?? Smart Diff in an 8ight-E

Is it possible to run the Smart diff in the center position on the electric conversion? It seems to me like it would need to work in reverse to function properly since the electric diff is turned around backwards. Any techs out there know what the skinny is on this one? Maybe you can just use the front Smart Diff by itself to get a similar result. Anybody?
edfmaniac is offline  
Old 02-08-2009, 02:55 PM
  #1598  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Fullerton, california
Posts: 496
Default

I am not sure smart diffs will work in electric unless you use mechanical brakes...any thoughts on this?
Thopper is offline  
Old 02-08-2009, 04:52 PM
  #1599  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (16)
 
rocketron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: palm desert
Posts: 2,280
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by edfmaniac View Post
Is it possible to run the Smart diff in the center position on the electric conversion? It seems to me like it would need to work in reverse to function properly since the electric diff is turned around backwards. Any techs out there know what the skinny is on this one? Maybe you can just use the front Smart Diff by itself to get a similar result. Anybody?
the Smart Diff in the center is used often to make the car rotate better. They work in both Nitro and Electric buggy's / truggy's
rocketron is offline  
Old 02-08-2009, 05:06 PM
  #1600  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (5)
 
dangerwr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 2,245
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Losi center smart diff

Originally Posted by Thopper View Post
I am not sure smart diffs will work in electric unless you use mechanical brakes...any thoughts on this?
I saw you can buy the smart diffs now. Anybody use the center on an 8ight-e yet? I am sure it will be real nice .
dangerwr is offline  
Old 02-08-2009, 05:09 PM
  #1601  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (94)
 
teeforb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Diego & Compton CA
Posts: 7,258
Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Default

what's the purpose of the smart diff? $89 a diff is pretty expensive.
teeforb is offline  
Old 02-08-2009, 05:25 PM
  #1602  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (5)
 
dangerwr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 2,245
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by teeforb View Post
what's the purpose of the smart diff? $89 a diff is pretty expensive.

The idea, similar to a torsen diff I believe, is to transfer power F/R under acceleration by essentially engages the diff and "locks" it. When you let off power the springs in the smart diff force it "open" to allow for improved cornering.

I have the spec sheet but am not able to post it here since it is too large I guess .
dangerwr is offline  
Old 02-08-2009, 06:01 PM
  #1603  
Tech Master
iTrader: (24)
 
Shark413's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,554
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by teeforb View Post
what's the purpose of the smart diff? $89 a diff is pretty expensive.
You think the Losi Smart Diff is expensive, check out the Fioroni diff, $200+.

Shark413 is offline  
Old 02-08-2009, 06:06 PM
  #1604  
Tech Master
iTrader: (24)
 
Shark413's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,554
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
Thanks...


Thanks... it's surprisingly easy to do..


I need to say thanks to shark413 for the drill & tap of the motor idea and colin8ight-e for the layout ideas... Makes for a very "factory" look.

Glad to share the knowledge and especially glad to hear someone found it useful. I really think the 4mm screws add a lot of strength to the conversion.
Shark413 is offline  
Old 02-08-2009, 07:11 PM
  #1605  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Fullerton, california
Posts: 496
Default

My understanding of the smart diff is that it disengages when there is no power to it, how would you get electric brake if it is free rolling?
Thopper is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.