Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread >

Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread

Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 10:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I've recently discovered that stiffer springs work really well. Apparently it makes sense as the car is heavier, lol. The car doesn't often scrape the front of jumps anymore and doesn't bottom out as hard. It floats through rough sections securely. It basically now has the rebound it should have. Handling feels planted with good turn-in.

Basically running the Truhe setup with green springs front and black in rear. Oh and 5/10/2 in the diffs. I tried 7k in the center but the car lost its punch and just ballooned the front tires all day.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Ya I switched to black springs in rear with 54/35 setup. Works real well. I had green springs in rear which made car push off-power. So ya works great.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
I have it turned down some, but that's not really a good option IMO. I think it's better to just use a slower motor and all the available throttle resolution.

I really doubt that the radio re-slopes the throttle curve...I bet it just clips the top end (AKA: "end point adjustment"). It's gonna be just as touchy everywhere, you just don't get to WOT.

Are there any other motor brands that you can use with a Losi ESC?
Turbo - you can adjust the curve between neutral and WOT and from neutral to Full Brake. There is a curve for each side - no end point changes unless your doing it on the transmitter. Also you can reduce throttle through setup if you like.
The 4 pole design motors Losi/Neu are tough to handle on the smaller indoor tracks.
You can use any Sensorless motor with the Losi esc.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rocketron
Turbo - you can adjust the curve between neutral and WOT and from neutral to Full Brake. There is a curve for each side - no end point changes unless your doing it on the transmitter. Also you can reduce throttle through setup if you like.
The 4 pole design motors Losi/Neu are tough to handle on the smaller indoor tracks.
You can use any Sensorless motor with the Losi esc.
So just make the throttle curve top out at half-way (or whatever) in the software and leave the TX at full EPA value? That should work.

I *was* going to go out to Rev today...but obviously that didn't go so well...

I'm still thinkin' 1300...LOL...
Old 02-08-2009, 07:32 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by littlejohn
some more..

awesome paint John.....i saw a shell like that forever ago and kinda always wanted something similar.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rhino420
looks good john !!! like the paint job too !!
Thanks...

Originally Posted by Integra
awesome paint John.....i saw a shell like that forever ago and kinda always wanted something similar.
Thanks... it's surprisingly easy to do..

I need to say thanks to shark413 for the drill & tap of the motor idea and colin8ight-e for the layout ideas... Makes for a very "factory" look.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

Questions?? Smart Diff in an 8ight-E

Is it possible to run the Smart diff in the center position on the electric conversion? It seems to me like it would need to work in reverse to function properly since the electric diff is turned around backwards. Any techs out there know what the skinny is on this one? Maybe you can just use the front Smart Diff by itself to get a similar result. Anybody?
Old 02-08-2009, 01:55 PM
Tech Regular

I am not sure smart diffs will work in electric unless you use mechanical brakes...any thoughts on this?
Old 02-08-2009, 03:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by edfmaniac
Is it possible to run the Smart diff in the center position on the electric conversion? It seems to me like it would need to work in reverse to function properly since the electric diff is turned around backwards. Any techs out there know what the skinny is on this one? Maybe you can just use the front Smart Diff by itself to get a similar result. Anybody?
the Smart Diff in the center is used often to make the car rotate better. They work in both Nitro and Electric buggy's / truggy's
Old 02-08-2009, 04:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Losi center smart diff

Originally Posted by Thopper
I am not sure smart diffs will work in electric unless you use mechanical brakes...any thoughts on this?
I saw you can buy the smart diffs now. Anybody use the center on an 8ight-e yet? I am sure it will be real nice .
Old 02-08-2009, 04:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

what's the purpose of the smart diff? $89 a diff is pretty expensive.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by teeforb

The idea, similar to a torsen diff I believe, is to transfer power F/R under acceleration by essentially engages the diff and "locks" it. When you let off power the springs in the smart diff force it "open" to allow for improved cornering.

I have the spec sheet but am not able to post it here since it is too large I guess .
Old 02-08-2009, 05:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by teeforb
You think the Losi Smart Diff is expensive, check out the Fioroni diff, $200+.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by littlejohn
Thanks...

Thanks... it's surprisingly easy to do..

I need to say thanks to shark413 for the drill & tap of the motor idea and colin8ight-e for the layout ideas... Makes for a very "factory" look.

Glad to share the knowledge and especially glad to hear someone found it useful. I really think the 4mm screws add a lot of strength to the conversion.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:11 PM
Tech Regular

My understanding of the smart diff is that it disengages when there is no power to it, how would you get electric brake if it is free rolling?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.