R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-28-2008, 12:44 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Losi 8ight and AE RC8 Pros and Cons?

What are the pros and cons between these two buggies?
Old 08-28-2008, 01:03 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Nothing. It's like comparing a Dodge Viper and a Shelby Mustang? Both are pretty F*ing dope cars. But some people will be biased and stick to their 'tried and true' company.

on the other hand, XTM Xterminator = honda civic
phixd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 01:04 AM   #3
Tech Regular

and this is the electric off road section... lol
Old 08-28-2008, 01:20 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I know, just wondering. If I buy any of the two, I'd convert it to a brushless. That's why I'm posting it here... (sorry if I wasn't clear about it )

So are the XTM 1/8th buggies and Duratrax 1/8th buggies not able to be converted to a brushless? I thought the Duratrax didn't look too bad... Again, I'm a little virgin to the whole 1/8th buggy so they all look the same to me...
Old 08-28-2008, 01:50 AM   #5
Tech Regular

I'd go for the 8ight with either the Tekno 8ight Brushless Conversion kit or losi's 8ight conversion kit supposedly due this september.

As for the rc8, I think RC monster and Novak have conversion kits.

I'd go for the 8ight personally. The conversion kits look more 'researched and developed' , The Tekno kit utilizes mechanical brakes enabling front and rear brake bias. mechanical brakes also takes some stress off of the brushless motor. The losi kit should be of quality because they are making it for their own car.

just my opinions though. good luck
I like my losi 8ight how it is for now: nitro
Old 08-28-2008, 10:21 AM   #6
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

I would say from a conversion perspective, The Losi 8ight has the weight more centered on the car, and its nice that the battery box can still be used. This is on all the conversion types that I can see.

I have the RC8 with the RC Product Designs conversion and even running a heavy battery (PQ6000XP 25C 4S), it works very well. I don't notice any weird pulling to one side.

I would say though until tekno has there kit out, I think the RC Product Designs conversion gets my vote for best one for the RC8, with RC Monster a close second.

You may be able to save yourself some trouble on doing your conversion with losi now having a full on 8ight-E on the way, just need your own battery, and it looks like there hardcased lipo should be out soon to.

That may be the way you want to go for the least hassle.

As for other kits to convert, depends on how involved you want to get. I have seen some nice cheap conversions of the CEN Matrix, and the one I had was pretty durable for what it was. (nitro version used)

My MBX5 was also a nice conversion too. alittle porky, but, I think that was the nature of the car.

The Losi though is probably the cheapest to convert overall.

And part of me thinks that doing a conversion on a new 8ight roller, selling the nitro specific parts, may even be cheaper than the conversion already done for you if it sticks close to the 850 ish price.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:27 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Or get the Losi 8ight E from the start!

http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodID=LOSA0803

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 02:38 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_chang79 View Post
I know, just wondering. If I buy any of the two, I'd convert it to a brushless. That's why I'm posting it here... (sorry if I wasn't clear about it )

So are the XTM 1/8th buggies and Duratrax 1/8th buggies not able to be converted to a brushless? I thought the Duratrax didn't look too bad... Again, I'm a little virgin to the whole 1/8th buggy so they all look the same to me...
there's an xtm converted that runs at our track. It's a fine designs conversion. I'd stay away from that conversion though. Mike at monster rc can make a motor plate for about anything. As for your comparison, The two are pretty evenly matched, but I've way more steering than my buddies eight has.
Kings Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 04:46 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I had a converted Xterminator a while back using a RC-Monster motor mount. If you want the mount, you'll have to email Mike Cronin (owner of RCM about it) because it was a custom job for me. The buggy was indestructible, and I'd highly recommend it if you plan on just bashing, but for racing, I'd go with the 8ight or RC8. I wanted to buy another 1/8 buggy after I sold the Xterminator, and I was choosing between the same two buggies as you. I didn't have the money for a brand new one, and after looking at used ones, I was sold on the 8ight right away. There seem to be much more of them for sale and for much cheaper prices than the RC8 as well. Another thing that I have heard is that the 8ight is a little stronger, but the RC8 has a little better handling. You really can't go wrong with either one though...

Good luck with either conversion that you go with.
jnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:37 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I have A RC8 conversion with monster kit. Its A good buggy but Not quite as tough as my losi. so as soon as the losi conversion kit is available I will be switching over. the losi handles as good as the RC8 and its damn near impossible to break. the only problems I ever had with the losi were nitro related so the Losi gets my vote
dmyers is offline   Reply With Quote