R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-05-2008, 08:56 PM   #196
MDB
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
...and you seem to have an inordinate fascination with all of us being young boys. I mean...I'm sure there could be some reasonable explanation for it and all, but it does strike me as a bit creepy.

That's how this troll RocketRob makes himself feel superior to everyone else. When you don't agree with this troll. he calls you a little boy.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:00 PM   #197
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDB View Post
That's how this troll RocketRob makes himself feel superior to everyone else. When you don't agree with this troll. he calls you a little boy.
That's one explanation...probably the only not-too-creepy one.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:17 PM   #198
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
...and you seem to have an inordinate fascination with all of us being young boys. I mean...I'm sure there could be some reasonable explanation for it and all, but it does strike me as a bit creepy.
the thing that is inordinately creepy is your fascination with stalking other members, me or otherwise
I mean...it's really over the top dude
RCabcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:36 PM   #199
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCabcs View Post
the thing that is inordinately creepy is your fascination with stalking other members, me or otherwise
I mean...it's really over the top dude
Yeah...I'm sure that you do think your behavior is normal.

The thing that separates you from the rest of us is that most all of the people on here have a conscience. We're not deliberately abusive to each other...it may seem that way on occasion, but virtually all the members here are good-natured and friendly. The fact that you don't recognize how or why you and all your alter-egos stand out like a sore thumb speaks volumes about you.

Don't flatter yourself that I or any of the rest of us are stalking you. You don't have to "stalk" a fire truck. They have a loud siren and flashing lights on top...they're not that hard to find. Hang out on any given corner and they'll come by at some point, especially if they go to 50-100 fires a day.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:52 PM   #200
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Well-said Turbo Joe. I'm starting to suspect that this person, RCabcs, has some sort of issue within. Perhaps his parents didn't hold him enough or perhaps he was picked on as a child that lead him to this kind of behavior towards others. Just speculations...

Reading this thread though, I had no idea that people can actually sue a race track for getting hit by an RC car... What has this world come to? You would think that the risk of getting hit by a flying car is part of the hobby, so long as it's within reason that it was not done on purpose with malice as intent...

I think all RC race tracks should have a legal disclaimer posted saying that if you get injured by an RC on this track, you really shouldn't whine about it.

But then again, what is intent? I've seen some drivers who doesn't really care whether you're on the track trying to turn marshall and will just plow right through you. I've seen drivers that didn't know that a turn marshal was there (since some of us get tunnel vision when concentrating on our own car on the driver's stand). Would be hard to distinguish between the two...

Hmm, what's next? Do we sue the ocean everytime someone gets attacked by a shark while surfing? These kinds of frivolous lawsuits have to stop...
Old 09-05-2008, 09:55 PM   #201
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Alberico View Post
I've heard this 2 ways. Can you run a ROAR approved sensored motor with a sensorless ESC, so the sensors are not connected?
ROAR rule 8.8.1 states that only sensored style BL motros can be used for stock and super stock. Common sense would dictate that a speed control with a sensor must be used.
With mod you can go either way.

I'm not sure what was going on with your previus posts but if you want to play the game, you have to follow the organizers rules and not read into the rules what you want.

I didn't see or hear of any of these types of problems at the off-road nats.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:15 PM   #202
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_O_jones View Post
ROAR rule 8.8.1 states that only sensored style BL motros can be used for stock and super stock. Common sense would dictate that a speed control with a sensor must be used.
With mod you can go either way.
Rulebooks don't rely on assumptions. The rules are written down in order to provide for the commonality that makes up the "common" part of that common sense. It would be very easy to add a sentence that required that the sensor in the motor be plugged in to the ESC and functional...but it isn't there. The rules are the words that ARE there, not the words that aren't.

There just flat-out wouldn't be an advantage, power-wise from running any given legal sensored motor as a sensorless motor. The windings and magnets are what make the power, not the sensors. I'm pretty sure that they knew that when they wrote the rules.

The rules explicitly require that the motor have the sensor, but I don't see any requirement that the ESC have the provisions to use the sensors. In fact, the only requirement I see is that "sensored type speed controls" have a plug compatible with the plug required for the motors. It would have been very easy to add "...must be used..." right after "sensored type speed controls", or just delete "sensored type" from that line but they didn't.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:04 PM   #203
Tech Champion

So we are 3 nats done for this year and the sensored motor to sensored or non sensore speedo rule question has not come up in any of those 3 races that I have heard of. So Does it matter?

Wasn't the sensor needed in the higher wind motors to prevent cogging and slow to non starts?

Questions I don't know the answers to.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:03 AM   #204
Tech Elite

Quote:
So we are 3 nats done for this year and the sensored motor to sensored or non sensore speedo rule question has not come up in any of those 3 races that I have heard of. So Does it matter?

Wasn't the sensor needed in the higher wind motors to prevent cogging and slow to non starts?

Pretty much...the Castle is "supposed" to be able to run legal ("wye" wound ,sensored) 13.5, 17.5 and 21.5 motors, but that isn't what I've seen at our track. They don't seem to work all that great from what I see. The higher-wind motors don't generate a sufficient feedback signal at lower speeds. A sensored setup is definitely better with the slower motors at lower speeds.

Besides...they weren't teching ESCs at the Nats from what I could tell.

Does anyone even make a 17.5 sensorless motor?
Old 09-06-2008, 12:51 AM   #205
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
Are track has been running 6 minute heats and mains. Every month or two we will throw in a 8 to 10 minute main. Everyone seems to been happy with that.
Trcr has been going with 8 min mains for about 4 months now , just about every one enjoys the longer mains....

JdCrow , thank you for the reply , I`m been expecting a change from 5 min and only hope to see it soon ...
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 07:39 AM   #206
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Quote:

To my knowledge you can run any speedo but as mentioned the Castle speedo don't run the higher winde sensored motors so well. I have done it and it works great except on the starts which at a big event is a pain to keep from getting ran over at the start when you hesistate off the line.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 07:45 AM   #207
wyd
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
Trcr has been going with 8 min mains for about 4 months now , just about every one enjoys the longer mains....

JdCrow , thank you for the reply , I`m been expecting a change from 5 min and only hope to see it soon ...
Thats pretty cool. A minute or two or threee longer is fun.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:55 AM   #208
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
To my knowledge you can run any speedo but as mentioned the Castle speedo don't run the higher winde sensored motors so well. I have done it and it works great except on the starts which at a big event is a pain to keep from getting ran over at the start when you hesistate off the line.
That's basically what happens at our track.

People buy a Castle because it's cheap, run Novice with a 5700/4600 (run what you brung class) and have a hard time getting around...then they buy a slower motor (17.5) and then it won't run right from a stop...and they're kinda screwed.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:09 AM   #209
Tech Champion

Thanks Turbo and WYD,
So based on that the starts are a problem, the reasoning to require sensored speedos would be to prevent start line pile-ups.
Save the pile-up for the first turn instead.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:36 PM   #210
wyd
Tech Legend

Quote:
Thanks Turbo and WYD,
So based on that the starts are a problem, the reasoning to require sensored speedos would be to prevent start line pile-ups.
Save the pile-up for the first turn instead.
Well if nots a pyle up on the start then we always have the 1st corner like you mentioned.

Well some speedos can run both in sensored mode, sensorless mode and both blended together like the SpeedPassion can do.

To be honest it depends on alot of factors on how much the speedo hesitates or how little it hesitates.