R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Losi Speed-T RTR versus Rustler VXL (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/238827-losi-speed-t-rtr-versus-rustler-vxl.html)

Nightrunner 08-24-2008 03:39 PM

Losi Speed-T RTR versus Rustler VXL

I am a relatively newcomer to the hobby and would like the opinions of more experienced members to buy a Electric Stadium truck.

I am considering the Losi Speed T RTR and Traxxas Rustler VXL.

My needs are as follows, Brushless system, sturdy enough for light duty off road racing and parking lot races-(No heavy duty stuff), radio with more than the 6 AM channels offered with RTR's (We usually have many people gathered and I do not want channel conflict).

I have looked (Online) at the Losi Speed T it meets all these requirements, however the Rustler offers all these too but I am not sure if it's radio will have more than 6 channels.

Please advise as to the durability, driveability, parts and accessory support and general suitability of these two for my needs. Any pros and cons etc..

Also advice if I will need to buy a new FM or other radio if I buy the Rustler to overcome the normal 6 channel AM radio limitation.

My total budget for the truck, a Lipo charger and battery for now is under USD $550.00

Thanks in advance for offering your suggestions.

Nightrunner.

skengines 08-24-2008 03:53 PM

good truck.

UN4RACING 08-24-2008 04:07 PM

I'm voting Speed-T. It will be more competitive if you do any racing. Parts are readily available at the the track and hobby shop.
The losi kit is a proven racer. The RTR plastic is like rubber so its as durable as you can get. I raced one last year and ran the RTR plastic over the Carbon and you will find a lot of fast guys like it to.
And what are they now, 329.99?

Nightrunner 08-24-2008 04:56 PM

Thanks UN4Racing,

I liked the Losi, yes it is 329.99 and the owner will give me about $ 20.00 discount on other accesories, if I buy a vehicle from him. However the Losi has to be special ordered, while they have the Traxxas Rustler VXL in stock and the owner was pushing for it. I have owned a older Rustler, though sturdy it was mediocre technology at best, Losi's with friends look much better. That makes me lean for the Speed T, just want to get some unbiased opinions as it is a new product.

I think I will get some more feedback here before ordering one, the LHS is about a 2 hour+ drive and I just want to make one trip.

Nightrunner.

Edumakated 08-24-2008 05:12 PM

I had the Rustler VXL and loved it. Since sold it, but it was a great car for just going fast in a straight line. What I liked about it was there is substantially more aftermarket support than the Losi Speed-T. You have tons of parts from RPM, Fastlane Machine and a few others to make it the ultimate basher.

here are some pics I had of my car before I sold it. It was indestructible and it would definitely break 70mph with 3s lipos.

The Speed T probably handles better, but I would bet it isn't nearly as durable as the VXL. The reality is that neither of these cars is really suited for much real off road racing or doing anything other than going fast and straight. Losi has a better name overall among serious racers, but like the Revo, the VXL has pretty much defined the class of electric stadiums trucks going retardedly fast.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...o/P1190968.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...P1010951-2.jpg

Creature 08-24-2008 05:17 PM

Seems like what you're looking for is a mix of both trucks.

The Losi has the great radio you want-you won't have to worry about crystals or frequencies, and never once will you get one glitch with it. However, it includes on road tires and a wheely bar made for the street. You can EASILY buy some offroad wheels and tires, and unscrew the wheely bar. It would make it convertable in a matter of ten minutes or less. If you decided that you hate the wheely bar (I doubt it, but its whatever you like), you could easily dremel off the little notches on the rear bumper so that it is flush and doesn't hang on stuff.

Then there's the VXL that has the offroad wheels and tires all ready, but it has that AM radio with only 6 channels. The tires aren't designed for racing, rather for bashing, but they would make do as you learned to drive and race. In this case, you would have to buy a Spektrum (or any other DSM radio such as the one Losi includes with their kit) or an FM radio to get more than 6 channels.

Personally I would go with the Traxxas. Why? Because they build fun cars, and no matter what people say you can still race them-at the end of the day its about having fun and getting used to your equipment. The VXL is built for offroad use while I don't know what all it might take to make a Speed-T go offroad well. I'm a little biased-I just bought an E-Revo today, and it tears everything up. I have a high end radio that runs all of my stuff, and I had no problems using the stock Traxxas radio to the point I don't think I'll drop any dough on another Spektrum receiver. The truck is incredibly durable, fast (even on 4s, they're a little more punch than dual 6 cell batteries), and fun. I look forward to going to the track (most likely with brushless so I can get around the nitro buggies). My brother has a Stampede with a VXL and it too is quite fun and enjoyable. The Stampede and Rustler are very similar in parts, however the Pede is obviously a monster truck.

Whatever truck you choose, you'll have fun and I wish you the best of luck!

Nightrunner 08-24-2008 05:56 PM

Thanks Edumakated and Creature,

Nice pictures, makes me impatient to get my new truck.

I definately have to agree about Traxxas durability, my older Rustler is still running after 6 years (originally came with mechanical speed control and upgraded several times over), parts are cheap.

I am not a racer, just dirt and empty parking lot racing and light bashing, am in for the fun. Seems both vehicles are good and with some additional accesories like tires etc. will do what I want.

Price wise they are similar. 329.99 for Losi Vs (269.99+$70 or so for an extra receiver for Rustler VXL) minus $20.00 for Rustler's included radio which I will sell to some kid from school. I do have a 2.4 radio for another vehicle, will need just an extra receiver if I buy Rustler.

A few more opinions, off to the hobby shop then to get my vehicle, one of the two. Looking forward to having fun on the long weekend next week.
Will post pictures, when I finally get it.

Nightrunner.

Nightrunner 08-24-2008 05:56 PM

Duplicate post!!! Deleted.

sparkplug1288j 08-24-2008 08:37 PM

I would go with the speed T. Most hobby shops will have parts, and you can always upgrade if you wanted to. Also the speed t is going to handle way better and look better doing it.:nod:

Drift_Buggy 08-24-2008 09:29 PM

I would go with the Speed T. Biggest downside with the Speed T is road tires even though the Rustler also comes with road tires. If you shop around you could pick up the Speed T for around for $279.99. Pretty sure the VXL also has plastic shocks where-as the Losi has aluminum shocks.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/22790
http://www.losipartshouse.com/servle...h-T-RTR/Detail

kikcaffine 08-24-2008 10:05 PM

You can get speed t's for as low as 229 I have seen some. I have heard that the ball diff in the speed t gets destroyed really easily because of the extra power. You can put in the desert trucks though and you would be good I think.

tom_chang79 08-24-2008 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Edumakated (Post 4769771)
here are some pics I had of my car before I sold it. It was indestructible and it would definitely break 70mph with 3s lipos.

That monster truck breaking 70mph must be an amazing sight!

:eek:

Drift_Buggy 08-25-2008 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by kikcaffine (Post 4770846)
You can get speed t's for as low as 229 I have seen some. I have heard that the ball diff in the speed t gets destroyed really easily because of the extra power. You can put in the desert trucks though and you would be good I think.

Yes, almost a must. Anyone know what the part number is for the dt diff?

Creature 08-25-2008 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Drift_Buggy (Post 4770755)
I would go with the Speed T. Biggest downside with the Speed T is road tires even though the Rustler also comes with road tires. If you shop around you could pick up the Speed T for around for $279.99. Pretty sure the VXL also has plastic shocks where-as the Losi has aluminum shocks.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/22790
http://www.losipartshouse.com/servle...h-T-RTR/Detail

Rustler has a pin style rear and ribbed front tires.

Drift_Buggy 08-25-2008 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Creature (Post 4771547)
Rustler has a pin style rear and ribbed front tires.

Yeah, sorry, was thinking about the Jato