R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-21-2008, 02:02 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Racing with contact lenses

I know its off topic here but just wondering if anyone has had success racing with contact lenses instead of glasses and if so what brand. Ive tried to in the past and noticed I can judge certain things better and things are sharper but the downside is that things get blurry at the worst possible time until I blink. Any info would be appreciated.
brian mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:09 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Interesting Topic....

I like contacts just because of the lack of fogging. I guess if you live in an area that's not real humid, the fogging of glasses may not be an issue. But if the track is large, over a 80' deep, my depth perception goes away with contacts.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:19 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I've raced both ways. I think I like the glasses a little better. With contacts, like you said, blurriness can set in at the worst time. Plus, on a dusty track with wind, you get dirt in them and that sucks.

I wore sunglasses when I ran with contacts. I dont now. But I'm going to look into prescription sunglasses to race with.

KYOSHO AMERICA.com -Peakmotors.com - kyoshoforum.com - Team SlantEyEs - Hardkore Paint - JBRL Off Road Series - JConcepts.net
nc-hopsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:21 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott54 View Post
Interesting Topic....

I like contacts just because of the lack of fogging. I guess if you live in an area that's not real humid, the fogging of glasses may not be an issue. But if the track is large, over a 80' deep, my depth perception goes away with contacts.
Thats the other thing I noticed, you do lose some depth perception I think with conctacts at the far ends of the track. I find I can cut corners closer with glasses over contacts.

KYOSHO AMERICA.com -Peakmotors.com - kyoshoforum.com - Team SlantEyEs - Hardkore Paint - JBRL Off Road Series - JConcepts.net
nc-hopsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:34 PM   #5

I have been racing and flying with contacts for years now, with zero problems... I have not experienced any blurryness and dust has not been an issue for me. I do not think depth perception is a problem as my pattern ship would have went into the deck ages ago, she comes in at about 70 or 80 k's an hour. I use the frequency brand, I much prefer contacts because you can change your sunglasses with the conditions, IMHO the sunnies are more important, plus they make you look cool!!!

Last edited by Loop&Roll; 08-21-2008 at 02:58 PM.
Loop&Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:02 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I race with contacts 90% of the time. I keep rewetting drops in my pit bag in case they start getting dry.

I recently started using O2 Optix contacts, they are a silicone lens and they are the most comfortable lens I've work in the 15+ years I've been wearing contacts. Highly recommended.

“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” - John Wayne
dr_hfuhuhurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:06 PM   #7
Tech Regular

The o2 optix are what I have but I think theres some new brands out now which might be better.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:27 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to crazy4wdracer

This is definitely a cool topic, I'venever really thought of this.
I've always worn glasses, they don't bother me as much as others. I've never liked contacts because of the buriness and I think that they're uncomfortable.

Just my 2 cents.
crazy4wdracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:48 PM   #9
Tech Regular

I got tired of dealing with contacts lens blurring at the wrong time and glasses distorting the edges of my vision when cars transition from my peripheral vision to forward vision. So because of RC car racing I got laser eye surgery, now I have 20/15 vision. Now if I can only get laser surgery on my driving skills.
SoCalMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:03 PM   #10
Tech Regular

I'm curious, can you still race with *no depth perception* at all? Like if you have one bad eye or something. Or is it really that crucial to have? I mean, you can still tell where the car is using the ground/shadow as a reference point... as long as it's not in the air.
shurcooL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:27 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to keepitmovin504

I race with contacts and have never had them become blurry while racing. Iuse acuvue oasys
Old 08-21-2008, 05:10 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Socal mitch, Ive thought about the lasik just because of racing for that reason. Its kinda scary though because Ive heard of a few bad stories from people that had it done.
Keepitmovin, thanks for the info.
Someone Im friends with who happens to be very fast I know uses the older hard contacts, I cant imagine even trying them. Glasses suck, the only time I wear mine is when I race. Every time Ive tried my contacts racing after about 3 laps they blur from not blinking, Ill blink then there good for a little bit then blur again.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:14 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Scott54, my depth perception is better when I use contacts and I also find it easier to judge a corner and run closer to the pipes, although I rarely race on any tracks over 80ft wide.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:21 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc-hopsing View Post
I've raced both ways. I think I like the glasses a little better. With contacts, like you said, blurriness can set in at the worst time. Plus, on a dusty track with wind, you get dirt in them and that sucks.

I wore sunglasses when I ran with contacts. I dont now. But I'm going to look into prescription sunglasses to race with.

I also have tried both glasses and contacts. Liked the glasses better because as you said dust in a contact lens sucks. Last summer I got prescribtion sunglasses and love them.
tschenck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:39 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I wear glasses when I go bashing/racing...

Straying a little bit off topic but, getting glasses was the BEST thing I got for my RC! I crash into walls a lot less now that my car is not a blur! *sigh* old age sucks...