Wiki Posts
Search

Which radio???

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 07:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Which radio???

I am looking in to getting a new radio. I want to stay under 200. I found this one and had good reviews JR RACING XS3 which is FM. I also seen this one
MX3 fhss which has DSM. The JR I can get for 75.00 used or the other new for 165. Is there that much of a difference for the cash.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

I know you said you want to stay under $200, but for an extra $100, you can have a DX3R. Think of it as a long term investment in trouble-free RC. The performance and features of the 3R are far and away the best of any radio I've ever owned and well worth the extra up-front cost. That's just my $.02
Old 08-20-2008, 07:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

The JR is a fm radio and the airtronics is 2.4 ghz . Many people prefer 2.4 ghz spectrum and some like fm . With 2.4 ghz you don`t have to worry about frequency issues at the track along with not having to wait for frequency clips at the track .The XS3 is synthesized you can change channels if you have a synthesize capable receiver to go with it . Both are good radios and just depends on what you want .
Old 08-20-2008, 07:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I agree with Tim. Spend the extra $100 and get the DX3R. One of the best investments in RC is a good radio. I always used cheapy radios and when i went to my Helios it was the best decision i ever made next to going to 2.4Ghz.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:59 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by AssocRacer
I agree with Tim. Spend the extra $100 and get the DX3R. One of the best investments in RC is a good radio. I always used cheapy radios and when i went to my Helios it was the best decision i ever made next to going to 2.4Ghz.
The Helios is a great radio , I wouldn`t give mine up for anything .
Old 08-20-2008, 08:01 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TimNJ
I know you said you want to stay under $200, but for an extra $100, you can have a DX3R. Think of it as a long term investment in trouble-free RC. The performance and features of the 3R are far and away the best of any radio I've ever owned and well worth the extra up-front cost. That's just my $.02
Can you please tell me what a Spektrum DS3R offers over a DS3.0 or Futaba 3PM for those extra $100?

Let me guess... Is it graphically adjustable throttle/brake/steering curves? Anything else?
Old 08-20-2008, 08:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (99%+)

I personally love my 3pk. It has all the features i could ever want and now that the 4pk is out......there are a plenty of 3pk's on the market for a good price. get a great radio at half the cost.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

It's more of a competition level radio. More adjustability. I got my helios on here with 3 recievers, a bag, drop down wheel, and 5 sets of crystals for $250. That was two and a half years ago. You can get them for that price now with spectrum modules and recievers now.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by shurcooL
Can you please tell me what a Spektrum DS3R offers over a DS3.0 or Futaba 3PM for those extra $100?

Let me guess... Is it graphically adjustable throttle/brake/steering curves? Anything else?
30 model memory, ease of use, smoother steering and throttle and, unlike the 3.0, the 3R won't need to be re-bound to the receivers every week or two. I've never owned a DX3.0, but I've driven lots of guys' cars who had a 3.0 and the steering was super tight and the car seemed slow to respond (even with a fast digital servo).

On the other hand, I have owned a Futaba 3PM and aside from it feeling clunky, heavy (8 batteries rather than 4 in the DX3R) and cheaply made, it wasn't a bad radio. Perhaps it was just a placebo effect, but as soon as I got the DX3R, I could feel that my control inputs were accepted by the receiver and put into action just that much quicker than with the 3PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:01 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks.

You're kinda right about the 3PM feeling somewhat like a cheaply made piece of plastic.

But I didn't realize that DX3.0 had that many problems? Is it really that bad? I've tried it once for 5 mins (thought I was paying more attention to the car it was controlling), and the steering return to neutral spring was really strong, which I didn't find very comfortable. Are they all like that? I thought the owner had just changed it to his own liking...
Old 08-20-2008, 09:05 AM
Tech Champion

I didn`t know there were problems with the DX3.0 either . I had one for about six months and seemed ok . I ran into a deal for a KO EX-1 Mars and been using KO radios since with Spektrum .
Old 08-20-2008, 09:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by shurcooL
Thanks.

You're kinda right about the 3PM feeling somewhat like a cheaply made piece of plastic.

But I didn't realize that DX3.0 had that many problems? Is it really that bad? I've tried it once for 5 mins (thought I was paying more attention to the car it was controlling), and the steering return to neutral spring was really strong, which I didn't find very comfortable. Are they all like that? I thought the owner had just changed it to his own liking...
Yup. All of the 3.0 radios that I've driven have had that stiff steering spring issue. Just last night at practice I was suggesting to a 3.0 owner to check his manual and see if there is a hidden screw adjustment for the steering tension like there is on a lot of other radios.

As for the binding issue, perhaps I overstated, but I have seen more than a few that needed to be re-bound, whereas I have not had a single binding issue with my 3R since I got it back in March. (I'm running 4 different cars this season, racing every weekend plus practicing 2x a week) Which reminds me of another big plus of the 3R. In all the time I've had it, and all the running I've done, I'm still on my 3rd set of batteries. The batteries seem to last forever.

Yet another thing I like about the 3R in relation to the 3.0 and the 3PM is the larger screen size. All of the critical functions are right there on the main screen.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:42 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The steering tension is adjustable located under the wheel.
I have never had a bind issue with my dx3.0, it only has 4 memory
model and I have 3 cars on it now. Its a nice radio , but will agree
the DX3.0 is not as good as the dx3r. At a price for 249.00 for a dx3.0
with 2 servos and 2 receivers , you can spend a another $75.00
for a nice dx3r. Because to me a few more bucks is really nothing when your
already shelling out 249. If your short on cash, juts bashing out in the open,
not really racing get a simple FM crystal radio they work fine and can be had
for a good priced used. Take the cash and maybe buy something else like a
brushless system or Another car

Dynodan22
Old 08-21-2008, 08:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I'd suggest a spread spectrum version as well if it fits your budget. No frequency conflicts plus you can turn your radio on in the pits even during a race.
I have a slight preference for Airtonics over JR radios anyway because the menus are easier to access and read (not having to turn the radio off and on while holding certain button combos to change models, for instance) and JR radios eat batteries like none other! Performance wise they seem fairly equal in my experience.