Community
Wiki Posts
Search

beginer buggy racing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 07:32 PM
Tech Initiate

Default beginer buggy racing?

I`ve had a few bashing cars and i recenty sold them to get into racing, i dont want to spend a fourtune, i`ll eventually upgrade to brushless and lipo but for now i want something to drive at the track and occasionally race, i dont want a truck so 2 or 4wd buggy.
so far i`ve been thinking about the b44, durga, zx-5, rb-5, or b4, i dont have to have these but these are just an example of what i`m thinking about.
And it must be able to take a beginners beating without just giving up on me.
ANY input on a car or racing a certain type of car would be helpful.
oh and this is the track i`ll be driving at, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAHMY...eature=related

thanks,JM
Old 08-20-2008, 08:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I guess my first recommendation is go with a buggy or truck (2wd) that the hobby shop at the track supports. 4wd may be a little frustrating if you are just starting out as they have more complex drivetrains, usually use mod motors and seem to be a little more apt to breaking.

Trucks are usually a little easier to drive than buggies but either is fine to start.

AE, Losi, Kyosho, and Academy all make competitive products. My guess is AE or Losi will have strong parts support.

Have fun!
Old 08-20-2008, 08:14 PM
Tech Master

I have heard the Kyosho GX-5 is very durable. You can get the RTR for a decent price and upgrade as needed. The car to have is the B44 but that is a true racing car. I would wager the Kyosho is a bit sturdier but the B44 gives a better drive. I nice brushless/LiPo combo makes these things scream no matter the choice.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

The ZX-5 Readyset (Ready-to-Run) is SUPER tough. I've got a few friends who have them and only one has broken anything at all and that was just a suspension mount. The chassis is nylon instead of composite and that little bit of flex makes a huge difference.

SpeedtechRC has them for 220-230 or so WITH an Orion Lipo included. Just put some appropriate tires (for your track) on it and go race. The stock motor is somewhere below a 19T, but it's plenty fast.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

get the b4. its easier to drive on tracks (sorta guessin) it doesn't cost a fortune and is a great buggy. parts are cheaper than some other brands and can be found all over.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

I'd suggest the B44. In my opinion, it's a great car for a beginner racer simply because of the awesome grip that 4wd offers. That extra grip will come in handy on the tight turns and narrow lanes that your track has.

1/10 2wd buggy is probably one of the more difficult classes of cars to learn to drive being that they are generally twitchy and are only 2wd.

As for what you can spend, I strongly suggest spending as much as you can afford upfront and get the absolute best equipment you can right from the "git-go". Not only will it make the learning process more enjoyable and easier, but it will also save you money in the long run, as oposed to buying a cheaper car and equipment, only to have to upgrade it all soon after.

For example, you should be able to build a complete, race-ready B44 with a Novak, LRP, Losi or Castle B/L set-up, Trakpower saddle pack lipo, top-notch digital high torque servo, and receiver for around $800 +/-.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If you don't want a truck (which is what I suggest to most beginners), I would go for a 2wd buggy. 4wd can be fun, but usually in racing it's a modified class which is NOT for somebody just starting out. If you race a stock class buggy it can be challenging but also a lot of fun. Stock buggy racing also tends to be a cleaner class of racing. With a truck you can bump and rub, but in a buggy everybody tries to avoid contact.

Pick a buggy that you can get parts for at your local track and shops.

Have fun!

Jerome
Old 08-21-2008, 03:00 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

2wd buggy or truck. b4 or t4. easy find on parts, great cars. will serve u in novice class up thru pro. stock or mod. enjoy the dirt!

R
Old 08-21-2008, 04:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

I`d seriously think about getting a truck to start out with . They are more stable and can handle the jumps and crashes better then a buggy . Buggy is a fun class but can be frustrating when your just starting out .
Old 08-21-2008, 04:58 AM
Tech Master

2wd buggy is the most fragile of the electric offroad classes. I would recommend either the B44 or a truck. My XXXT MF2 has been almost bulletproof since I got it. I have seen a b44 take some good licks and keep on going too. At 300.00 dollars it is a great buy for the money in a 4wd kit.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The key words are "don't want to spend a fortune" which equals a 2wd stadium truck to me. The sub $200 Team T4 is the best value in all of RC right now. Its exactly what I would buy if I was going to start racing because the hop ups that come with the Factory T4 dont really improve performance or durability that much.

You simply cant go wrong with tried and true vehicles like the T4 or XXXT and with the $50-150 you'll save getting a stadium truck, you could get a brushless system now, not later.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

I'm in the same boat, looking for a beginers car trying to get someone else into the hobby. Its' good to hear the ZX-5 is tough. In AUS it's available as a RTR kit and is suprisingly good value.

I just got back into the hobby myself and bought a B44, it didn't take me long to get back into the hang of things driving wise. As for toughness, it so far has been bullit proof - I have given it some major grief, especially when stuffing up jump landings. It just keeps going.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:39 AM
Tech Initiate

I raced my t4 once or twice when i had it but since it was my first build it wasnt set up real well, i did have brushless (mamba 4600 and 7700) and lipo but it was a 3s for bashing. I raced stock with an old fantom racing 27t (it seemed really fast for a stock motor). And i wont consider a truck i`ve driven buggies and i like driving them more. Yes the only class of 4wd is modified and its open to any brushless lipo car. so yes i would have to practice quite a bit and upgrade slowly which kinda sounds like a good idea.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

I am kind of in the same boat, I was an onroad guy, then dirt oval for a few months and now offroad. I have a truck but seen some buggies this weekend, tried one and fell right in love. I would assume that a buggy can help you make better driver much like a 12th scale does. I am still kind of new to offroad, but to you set a buggy up like a truck or is it a whole new boat.

roadrash