Wiki Posts
Search

Who uses a lipo bag/sack ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 06:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Default Who uses a lipo bag/sack ?

I`m gonna be making the change to lipos soon and some say you need the lipo bag and some say no . Everyone at my track doesn`t use that I see , so not sure to get on or not . $30 is a waste for something I might not really need .
Old 08-17-2008, 07:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I use one for peace of mind. Both for myself and the track owner. Odds are that I won't see a Lipo fire but if it does happen it should be contained.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:33 AM
Tech Rookie

I'm using one. You don't really need it until your LiPo blows up and sets something else on fire. It probably won't ever happen to you, but if it ever does, you might end up wishing you had a bag.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 95 (99%+)

I use one when i'm racing indoors. Since pit spaces are pretty tight I don't want anything happening to someone else's equipment. I haven't been using it outdoors because I don't have anyone else around. I probably should use it all the time though.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:02 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

ammo box, nuff said

R
Old 08-17-2008, 08:09 AM
Tech Regular

ive had a nickle metal battery explode in my face and had to have my eyes flushed out. nobody at my track uses a sack, but they should. they are charging their batteries inside their cars. so if a fire happens its gonna take the rest of their car with it. it probley never will happen but after a battery exploded in my face i trust no charger or battery. i personaly think lipo batteries are the safest battery on the market today as ive had 0 problems with them. but yes i think they should be charged in a sack.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

some tracks around here require them for lipo charging. Others just recommend it. I have one.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3o_2mwRPdw

Not meant to scare people away from LiPo as those cells were purposely mistreated, but should show the value of a Lipo Sack in case something goes wrong. Worth the $30 in my opinion..
Old 08-17-2008, 09:19 AM
Suspended

Location: r.i.p Chiquita - 1993-2008 - "best dog in the world"

lipo sacks can be costly considering what they are, but all it takes is for you to witness someone burn their car down into a puddle of plastic, nylon, and barewire looms as I did earlier this year to understand the safety issue involved. roar rules require them, so if you're going to sanctioned races you will need them.

i haven't gotten a sack yet myself since i've been running lipos before sacks became available, but i've been using a clay pot i 'borrowed' from my wife's planting room to sit my packs in while charging that serves the same purpose
Old 08-17-2008, 09:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Miller_Time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3o_2mwRPdw

Not meant to scare people away from LiPo as those cells were purposely mistreated, but should show the value of a Lipo Sack in case something goes wrong. Worth the $30 in my opinion..

Ya , i seen that . But any battery will do that if that much power was thrown at it .
Old 08-17-2008, 09:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

$30 for a lipo sack isnt a waste of money infact for me it gives me a peace of mind and thats worthless. you never know when this thing will go crazy
Old 08-17-2008, 10:00 AM
Tech Regular

I use one for indoor racetracks and at home charging. I have also used one for storing a puffed lipo until I could dispose of it correctly.

$30 is a small price to pay for piece of mind and safety.

If you don't want to spend the $$ just use a clay pot or an ammo box.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

/\ same here. i just started making the switch to lipo (my 1/10th is still nimh until i see how lipo pans out) and i got a bag. i do almost all my charging indoors (3s 8000mah lipo takes a long time to charge!) and i always used the bag as its cheap insurance against burning my house/car/rc down. tis better to have an not need than to need and not have.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:10 AM
Regional Moderator

Do you use one for your cell phone? Laptop? iPod? All 3 of them use LiPo batteries...

Why not require them for NiMH as well, which don't burn, but explode.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CarbonJoe
Do you use one for your cell phone? Laptop? iPod? All 3 of them use LiPo batteries...

Why not require them for NiMH as well, which don't burn, but explode.
cell phones & laptops use li-ion, not lipoly.

But hey, up to you, just if you ever do, please sit in the corner by yourself so you don't put another racer's equipment at risk. Our track doesn't require them for nimh's, but does recommend that our racers do. Our club's flight area requires the charging of any battery to be done in a bunk of sorts.

Cya,
Paul

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.