Wiki Posts
Search

I need track maintenace advise

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 01:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)
Default I need track maintenace advise

The dirt at the track I run on is very dusty,is there anything I can spray down to keep the dust down besides water?Water doesn't work because it just dries up.Thanks!!
Old 08-16-2008, 02:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Originally Posted by speedemall
The dirt at the track I run on is very dusty,is there anything I can spray down to keep the dust down besides water?Water doesn't work because it just dries up.Thanks!!
Calcium chloride , liquid laundry detergent mixing in with the water , or sugar .
Old 08-16-2008, 09:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

My local track has to run at night during the summer because the water dries up quicker than you can put it down.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:03 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If possible sweep the dust off before you water.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:12 AM
Suspended

Location: r.i.p Chiquita - 1993-2008 - "best dog in the world"

the problem i've seen with literally every outdoor track i've run at is that they only attempt to water the track, as a means to help traction and hold down the dust, on race day. and it doesn't work, as the water tends to soak in or evaporate as fast as you put it down.
i've seen places use laundry or dishwashing detergent with limited success, along with sweeping the dust off the track that only works if you do it continually all day to combat an ongoing issue.
and the only thing i've seen work are tracks that follow some sort of pre-race day watering program, whether that be a dedicated sprinkler system that's set up on a timer so you can run it off and on during the night, or going out and manually watering several times during the week to get a below ground moisture basis built up.
what also works are tracks that put down a plastic barrier layer to lie underneath the actual racing surface before moving the dirt in to build their track. this can be costly and time consuming, but it works.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Off road tracks need to really water alot the night before. this will allow the water to soak into the dirt and hold there. then light watering the next day between races will just revitalize it.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

If you don't have time for pre race prep then just bring a gas blower & blow off the track in between heats.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:37 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by party_wagon
If you don't have time for pre race prep then just bring a gas blower & blow off the track in between heats.
LOL that oughta make the pits nice and inhabitable
Old 08-17-2008, 12:11 PM
Tech Regular

lol ive seen a couple tracks around my area do the leaf blower trick all it does is blow the dirt into different areas of the track. tracks are alot of work vyou need to sweep and water them during the week and just alot of water during the week is really key.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Years ago at a track I used to race at regularly got their loose dirt to settle down by spraying root beer and other sugar soda all over.. It did work! The track packed like concrete! and smelled yummy! It went for a time from a loose dirt track to blue groove.. a lot of work keeping it that way.. another down side for us racers is that it beat the crap out of our gear! Guess they sold more parts that way!

I was at a race track in Bakersfield, CA (Racer's Haven) a few months ago. They use some sort of oil slurry. Said it's normally used on rural dirt roads. It sort of looked like asphalt! Traction like it too! It was about 1 set of tires (Losi BK bars) to a race! Fronts didn't last much longer either!

Jerome
Old 08-17-2008, 07:40 PM
Suspended

yup, everybody always thinks more traction equates to better tire wear, and it never does