R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-02-2003, 05:56 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Smile MD, VA, DC and DE Offroad Racers!!!!!!!

Hey guys, figure i follow PTP Racing's advice and start a thread were we can communicate without clogging up some other thread.

With that said, Jason u won how many times on a row?? Thats is pretty good!

Yep the 086 pipe is another good choice. I think the OFNA 086 one piece is like $60 for the whole set up. I had one and it was ok. Too bad I got T boned at full speed and crushed the stinger pretty bad. Thats when I got my hands on the OS2050. Many wrecks after and still not a ding

Jason, would u be interested on giving MAXY's fuel 20% a try. Thinking about ordering a case since that is the least amount they will sell. KC says he'll go for it. So three of the gallons would be spoken for and one left if u care to give it a try. Price would be $25 since it would be $100 for the case shipped to my house. It would arrive in about 1 week. If I order tomorrow I should have it before Sept 12.

Last edited by eltorito; 09-03-2003 at 09:06 PM.
eltorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 06:08 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

im not sure but i won the last 2 weeks and i think race 11 was the race before that and according to the results on the website i won that race too

this past weekend was the first time that i impressed myself though

me and mike odonnel had 2 10 lap qualifiers in a row then battled for the entire main

i only ran buggy this past weekend and my times really improved alot

no go on the maxys fuel though i have been loyal to byrons/mugen fuel all year long and i love it

i talked to dennis ritchie about it a while back and he told me its his fuel choice because he is able to get more time from his engines while using it i figure he knows his stuff and had probably tested just about everything available

besides i run 30% in my buggy and my truck i do run 20% in my t-maxx but thats rtr fuel with 16% oil

the 20% will allow you to run leaner and may improve some of the run time issues youve been having with the OS engines

now we need to get the rest of the guys from tech talk onto this thread since here you can say whatever you want and say as much as you want
Old 09-02-2003, 06:12 PM   #3
Tech Elite

hey eltorito have you heard about the VA beach race in Oct?

planning on going?

going to drag KC down there?

ive got the go ahead from my wife this evening so im in for sure

i guess im going to hold off rebuilding my mbx5 for a couple more weeks then do it right before that race

also if you do decide to go as you well know DRCW has all kinds of good stuff im planning to save as much money as i can before that race to take down there
Old 09-02-2003, 06:20 PM   #4
Tech Regular

I hear u on the fuel. Just trying to experiment a little. Especially since OS run time does suck if you dont run at 300F

The VA Beach race is a no for me. It is the 11-12 weekend and my mom is flying in on the 12. My wife is supposed to have the baby around that time so once Sept is over I am done racing for a bit. Wish I could go. U need to talk to KC into going down there with u. It should be a lot of fun.

I can certainly understand that u are doing better running only one class. U have to have to your stuff together to race more than that and be competitive. Really dont know how Mark does it while running the races and helping anyone that needs it.

I think now that KC got spanked up there he will come up more often to redeem himself. Waddayasay MR Tony Montana?
Old 09-03-2003, 08:58 AM   #5
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to KCarRacer

This Place looks good

I just got to get a new car
mine is from racing last year and everything is wore out\

Yeah i didn't get you this week jason but i'm working on it
KCarRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 09:32 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to mike_Webb

So what is this Track all about?

Nitro?
Electric?
This is the place by Dougs Right?
Or is this also Pasadena?

I hope with The HobbyTown "Maybe" going to have a indoor Off-Road track that this brings back a lot of Off-Road action to this area. I know a lot of people willing to dump their on-road for off-road

Thanks.
mike_Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 11:51 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Most of us posting here race both down at Dougs Hobby Shop Offroad track and also at Pasadena Offroad Raceway.

The Dougs Offroad track is small with small to medium jumps. It is fun to race and very relaxed. It runs every saturday. Sign up starts at 1100 and racing begins around noon. We are normally out of there by 5:30 If 4 or more of a class show they race. I have even seen them run 2 cars of a class so those people got to have some fun even when there wasn't a full class. We have a mix of electric and nitro. Lately the most consistent class as far as nitro goes is 1/8 buggy. Normal weekend brings around 9-10 1/8 buggies. Stadium trucks can get around 6-7 if everyone decides to run theirs(most just run their buggies). And T-maxx can also get 4-5 people. Stadium truck electric gets about 5 racers. Electric 4wd buggy can get from 5 to a full 10. The old amb transponder system is used so personal transponders are not supported. Race entry is $10 first class, half price everything else. The track is right behind the hobby shop. Facilities available are electric outlets for everyone to use and water hose for those neat freaks that have to clean their tires every qual. There is a water fountain and also bathrooms inside the store.

Pasadena Off Raceway is operated by Mr Mark Sommerville. His website is http://www.pasadena-offroad.com/index_001.htm
This track is very nice and will blue groove very nicely by the time the mains roll around. There is no electricity available so u must bring your own. There is a hobby shop very close by in case the triples get the best of you!!! This track is very fast and fun. MadMarko and his guys take very good care of the surface so be prepared for some real good and fast paced racing action. Normally he runs a Novice class(run what u have). Up and coming racers sharpen their skills. They have a TMaxx, Tmaxx unlimited, Stadium truck and 1/8 buggy. Around 8-10 for Tmaxx and Tmaxx unlimited, 10-16 Stadium truck and anywhere from 15-25 for 1/8 buggy depending on weekend and other big races going on. track opens for practice around 8:00am and sign up starts at 10. racing goes at 11:00 Mark runs a very smooth schedule. New AMb system supports personal transponders and also has handout transponders. Entry fees are $10 for the first class and $5 after that. Track is really fun and fast with technical sections. Crowd is very friendly and the not so friendly ones are kept on a leash by Mark ;-) Everyone helps each other out so we all get to have fun.

Sorry for the long rant but figured I do some promoting so we get more racers out to these facilities.
Old 09-03-2003, 12:35 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to GregH

Quote:
Originally posted by mike_Webb

I hope with The HobbyTown "Maybe" going to have a indoor Off-Road track that this brings back a lot of Off-Road action to this area. I know a lot of people willing to dump their on-road for off-road

Thanks.
Mike, you said you needed an awnser right away otherwise you wouldn't be racing offroad till next season. That's a year from now!!!! I'm pretty confident that offroad will go in but I'm not the one to make that decision. Jeff wants to see offroad as well. Don't give up before it start or it might not get started!!!! The owner wants figures before he makes the big step. All the guys willing to race indoor offroad need to step up and speak there mind to the owner if that's what they really want.
GregH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 12:42 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to mike_Webb

Greg-

Since I got a great deal on a B4, I can afford to race now

I am jsut waiting for them to open shop now. The sooner the better...that way I can race in 3D instead of 2D

Last edited by mike_Webb; 09-03-2003 at 10:03 PM.
mike_Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 03:31 PM   #10
Tech Regular

B4 for $90 is a good deal. I dont run electric but for that price I would take the plunge. Too bad I might be moving down to NC next spring and the closest track down there is 2 hours away from where I might have to relocate to.

I think the indoor offroad for electric would get a nice enough crowd since most of the guys around here have both types.

Greg I tried the fioroni two point shoes on carbon and it has almost too much punch. Kinda feels like engagement is a bit too late so some of the powerband advantage is lost. Plus gotta use it on the right surface. I am in the process of buying a P5 and will probably try the four point on it. ;-) We'll see.

Last edited by eltorito; 09-03-2003 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-03-2003, 03:34 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Jason, what plug u run on your P5?

Last edited by eltorito; 09-03-2003 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-03-2003, 04:22 PM   #12
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

I brung VA beach up to my girlfriend last night and she may be a go for it. Went back to my old setup on my k2 so hopefully it will run a little better.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:20 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to GregH

Javier, I had a feeling the 2 point would be to much for an OS. The 2 point would probably be good for a high rpm engine that needs to be screaming to have power. 4 point is a good all around clutch, IMO.

Mike, 90 for a B4 is a good deal. Were/who did you get it from? Mark U. ?

He needs to keep the offroad stuff and come up and run at HT.
GregH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 06:26 PM   #14
Tech Elite

i ran the plug that came in the engine for a long time it finally died at pro-series probably had 6 races on it

then i used a #7 novarossi plug for a couple races

but mainly ive been running the odonnel #99 i know ive been running it for a couple months now probably put it in the beginning of july its totally indestructable

when the t-maxx engine overheated to 492F it still didnt burn out the odonnel plug i had in it

the thing about them is they are a really cold plug so they work good in the .21 with 30%

the t-maxx engine would run 30F cooler just by changing the plug but it wouldnt idle so i had to go back to the original t-maxx plug

if i hadnt run across the odonnel plugs i would be running mccoys

cold plugs are for hot weather and high nitro
Old 09-03-2003, 08:30 PM   #15
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to fastskully

Oh don't forget the delaware racers that show up !!!

EB Mods
fastskully is offline   Reply With Quote