R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-15-2008, 10:35 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Cheap Ways to Break In Electric Motors?

I recently bought a couple of motors and they came with 6 pairs of brushes. 5 serrated and 1 non serrated. I have a Duratrax Onyx 230 charger which doesnt break in motors. I have a 4 cell battery though. What is a good way to break in the brushes and the motor without spending anything? i will be racing so I need as much performance I can get.

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:07 AM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Run it for 5 minutes off of 2 cells or hook up to a ESC and run it at low throttle for 5 minutes by turning your throttle trim up.

Good luck!

Paul
Old 08-15-2008, 11:25 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to OTE_TheMissile

How about the old-school "underwater" method? I've been using it religiously for about the past 2 or 3 years on Reedy MVPs and now the new Stockstars and Challengers with fantastic results

Get yourself some kind of small bucket (I chopped an empty gallon jug of Simple Green in half) and pour in cold tapwater. Lube the bearings/bushings, add your comm drops, whatever you do to lubricate the motor, and attach your power wires. Place the motor in the water & arrange it so the motor shaft isn't touching anything. This is just so it can't drill through the bucket, & it helps if you clamp the wires to the side of the bucket.

Now hook 'er up! I plug my motors into a 3.3v power supply, and when using soft racing brushes like Reedy #767 I'll let it run like that for 10 minutes. Harder brushes are gonna take awhile longer. When it's done, blow the motor out thoroughly with compressed air and then motor spray. Again, lube your bearings/bushings, a dab of comm drop, & hook the motor up to your power source for a few seconds to get all that lube worked in.

------

Running the motor in cool water eliminates arcing across the comm segments, keeps the motor from heating up, gives the motor a slight load to push against (the armature stacks pumping water around the inside of the can), and I guarantee no matter how good a job you thought you did cleaning the motor out during a rebuild, the water WILL be tinted with brush dust by the end of the break-in run. Also, oil's inability to blend with water means your lube will stay put while the motor's running underwater
OTE_TheMissile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:24 PM   #4
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubaboy View Post
Run it for 5 minutes off of 2 cells or hook up to a ESC and run it at low throttle for 5 minutes by turning your throttle trim up.

Good luck!

Paul
ok, so I will do this with the 4 cell battery, right? Should I break the motors in with the motor out of the car or in the car?

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Old 08-15-2008, 04:26 PM   #5
Tech Addict

I always broke mine off the car, with a fan attached.

http://www.teameamotorsports.com/cat...roducts_id=171

Idea is to get the brushes seated to the comm, so load doesn't play a huge roll. but this certainly helps. Also, not a fan of taking the motor apart after you get the brushes seated. But that's my taste. I spray the motor down again, and re-oil bushings/bearing, but that's it.

Paul
Old 08-15-2008, 04:46 PM   #6
Tech Master

so are you saying I sould break it in with or without load?

Old 08-15-2008, 05:11 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Why do people think it makes a difference how the brushes are broken in?

Perhaps the pro's with motor dynos have done tests trying various break-in methods and found that some methods make more power than others.

What happens if a motor is not broken in by a some specific magic method? It sounds to me that there are so many recommended break-in methods that there really is no "one" right way...i.e. it doesn't matter.

Of course, I am likely wrong but that is why I am asking the questions.
haulin79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:58 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Well.. the wrong way would be to "not" break them in.. What you are trying to do is get the brushes seated correctly with the commutator. This is especially important after the motor is cut or whenever you put new brushes in. If they are not seated correctly, you will not get full power to the motor.. it's going to run slower..

I don't know about 10min in water.. back in the day,like 15 years ago we did this with the softer crappy brushes we had then.. took only about 30 sec... the water cools the brushes down almost instantly giving it the correct contour of the comm.

Never break in a ball bearing mod in water... maybe the grease/oil in a bearing wont mix.. but water will ruin the bearing... so will motor spray.. never spray out bearings! This eats the grease away and you will always have to oil it.. and oil gets onto the comm.. mods do not have fiber washers to keep the oil off..

As for breaking a motor in.. I personally use my charger that has a "break in mode". I use a little fan that is attached to the motor shaft and break it in on 4.8v (a 4-cell equivalent) for around 1 minute. You can hear the change in rpm when it breaks in.

If you use the correct brushes, you should maybe only have to change them once during the lifetime of the motor.. This is so long as you don't burn them up or chip them too badly. You do need to maintain the brushes with a hard comm stick everytime you clean the motor, take the brushes out and look at them.

Have fun!

Jerome
JeromeK99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 06:34 AM   #9
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Briguy

Chris , since your charger doesn`t have a break in mode and don`t have two cells to make a break in pack . I`d put it in your truck , don`t put the pinion on , break it in that way by turning up the trim a bit like mentioned earlier , and get a fan pointing and at the motor .
Briguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 09:59 AM   #10
Tech Master

ok, I will do that. What does a fan do anyways? How do I know when I am done and when is the point where the motor is spinning too fast?

Old 08-17-2008, 11:43 AM   #11
Tech Addict

If you are using 4 cells, pull the trigger to half throttle. That's about where you want it.

Again, load is a preference thing. I normally just followed the tips and instructions given out by Eric or Team Brood.

Then turn up the trim till it sounds about the same.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:29 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to Johnny_S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris__RC View Post
ok, I will do that. What does a fan do anyways? How do I know when I am done and when is the point where the motor is spinning too fast?
The fan is to keep the motor from getting hot. o.O

I've always thought it was better to break it in at a slower speed for longer instead of a fast speed for shorter. You go to OCRC, don't you? I'm sure there are plenty of people that would let you borrow a motor break in charger or something for 5 mins.
Johnny_S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 03:08 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to Low_E

and what do these "comm drops", that were mentioned in one of the first posts, do exactly?
And do you have tips about which to use?
There are so many products on the market.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:14 PM   #14
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Briguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low_E View Post
and what do these "comm drops", that were mentioned in one of the first posts, do exactly?
And do you have tips about which to use?
There are so many products on the market.
These are the drops I have used for years .

http://www.teamtrinity.com/shop/item.asp?item=TK2006
Briguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 05:07 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to Low_E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy View Post
These are the drops I have used for years .

http://www.teamtrinity.com/shop/item.asp?item=TK2006
and what do they do exactly? What's the benefit of this liquid?