R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-10-2008, 10:16 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Default Top-end 2s Lipo for 1/10 B4 racing: PQ-5000RXQ or TrakPower 4900 or Orion?

Hi,

I need to get (my first) 2s Lipo pack for use with my RC10B4 with Mamba Max 5700. I want to get into racing, and this will be my car for it. I'm still a beginner at most of this.

Anyway, I've come to terms with the conclusion that I should get an expensive "premium quality" lipo pack right away, rather than trying to save some money and end up getting a better pack later anyway.

I'm willing to spend $100-200 and I'm looking for something with at least 4000-5000 mAh capacity, and 25C+ discharge. I want it to last me a long time with good care taken, so I won't need to buy another Lipo for 1/10 cars in a month.

My main choice was the TrakPower 4900 2s 25C hard-case gold brick pack. It seems that it gets the best reviews from people as a high quality pack, with good punch and great support from the company. A couple ppl have recommended it to me, and I've seen it often at the track.

However, a few things put me off about it. It doesn't even come with wires for dis/charging and balancer plug. Gotta buy those separately. Also, some places seem to list it as a 20C rather than 25C discharge. Its recommended charge is only 1C, although official site lists 2C as max quick charge rate. It's probably an older pack that's been around for a couple years, right?

On the other hand, I've run into this Enerland/PolyQuest battery: PQ-5000RXQ 5000 30C discharge hard-cased.

It comes with wires/Deans and balancer plug already attached. It's 30C continuous discharge. Enerland supposedly makes great cells. It seems more friendly towards 2C charge rate. I think it's a newer pack, as I haven't been able to find any reviews for it. But the specs seem much better than TrakPower 4900. But what do people say about PolyQuest packs in general? (I noticed it's almost 300grams vs. 270g TrakPower4900)

Also, there are some Orion packs that ppl also considered as good top-end lipos. But so far I'm least interested in it.

-------------------------

Anyway, I'm looking for some advice.

Should I get the old and proven TrakPower 4900 25C pack? Or this newer(?) Enerland Racing/Polyquest 5000RXQ?

Also, if I go for the Enerland/Polyquest one, can I get it from HobbyCity? Is it the same battery there? I can get a better deal from them...

Thanks a lot in advance! I've used search to find some info, but I really couldn't find anything on the 5000RXQ pack.
shurcooL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 10:19 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 112 (98%+)
Send a message via AIM to wstuart

Ive heard alot of the pros are running SMC 5k packs - 28c
wstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 10:24 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Basically, I think what I'm trying to ask is this:

I know the TrakPower 4900 25c is a great, proven, high-quality pack. However, is the PQ-5000RXQ a better one? Does it have more punch and the same high quality? Has anyone actually tried it?
Old 08-11-2008, 07:50 AM   #4
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to zardoz Send a message via AIM to zardoz Send a message via MSN to zardoz Send a message via Yahoo to zardoz

I'm running the Orion Platinum 4800 in my B4. I had an issue with mine recently with a bad cell. Orion simply replaced the pack straight up. Their customer support was exceptional. The pack overall has very good punch, and excellent runtime. I'm using it with an LRP Sphere with a LRP Vector X11 6.5 brushless. It works very nicely. The balancing ports are the same as the Trakpower.

I've seen people using the Trakpower and Orion at my track. Both seem to work well.
AE RC8T FT
Team Holy Rollers
zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:11 AM   #5
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

One thing to consider if you are going with a hardcased lipo is it ROAR approved and do you need it to be?

The Trakpower 4900mah lipos were recently upgraded to 25C rating, and when I contacted trakpower they told me that for about a year the 20C cells were actually 25C cells, they just changed the rating.

The cells as i understand it are enerland based, as well as the PQ5000 you are looking at. Some of the best out there.

I would say if you need a ROAR approved lipo, the trakpower 4900 is one heck of a pack. And the nice thing with its plug setup is you can buy the adapter you need from RC Lipos, and make your wires as short or as long as you need for the power wire setup.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:11 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

SMC is always on top in term performance and quality...

But I must say that you will certainly have to much power with any of them with a mamba 5700 set up in a 2wd buggy
CrazyRonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:31 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Pro-Match has a ROAR approved 5000 mah 25c hard cased Lipo now for like $89.99. Cant beat it for the money. And to be ROAR approved they have to jump through alot of hoops so cant be a bad battery I wouldnt think.
Brooksphotodesign.net
Flying Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:51 AM   #8
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyRonny View Post
But I must say that you will certainly have to much power with any of them with a mamba 5700 set up in a 2wd buggy
Hmm, you're probably right.

Since I'm just getting into brushless and Lipo now, I guess I'm kinda scared of "not having enough power" that I need. Hopefully that won't be the case.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Enerland 5000RXQ pack, since it's cheaper and has better specs. Seems like no one is saying bad/horrible things about it yet, so until then, I'll just hope it works at least as well as the TrakPower 4900... >.<

Does anyone know much about PolyQuest/Enerland customer support in general? Is it as good as TrakPower's?
Old 08-11-2008, 12:00 PM   #9
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Is there any reason why you want such a high capacity Lipo? I currently run the Orion 3200's in my XXX-CR and they provide plenty of punch and run time. Also you can get 2 of them for well under $200.00.

Also you might want to check out Orion's new 3800mah Lipo, it has a 30c discharge which should will be amazing! I got one o its way and am looking forward to how it will make my XXX-4 run compared to the Orion 3600 w/ 25c that I currently run it it now.

One nice thing about the Orion's is that there really isn't any need to balance them, everyone that I have heard that has gone to balance them said they were still like the day they bought them.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:19 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzracer758 View Post
Is there any reason why you want such a high capacity Lipo?
Yes. Longer run times, as a safety buffer, and for running round my 'hood. I heard a B4 with brushless would use up about 1000-1500 mAh in a 5 minute race. I'm used to running for like 40 mins with my old stock electronics and a 3000 Venom pack. I'd like to keep as much runtime as possible, and Lipos aren't that heavy. Also, it's nice to be able to use the battery for less than its 80% capacity and top it off in between use.

I'll take a look at those 3800's though, thanks.

Quote:
One nice thing about the Orion's is that there really isn't any need to balance them
Makes no diff to me, as my charger bas a balancer built-in anyway and I'm planning on using it.

Last edited by shurcooL; 08-11-2008 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:17 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Really ANY of the Orion Lipos are awesome, super reliable, super punch. And apparently the new 5000, 20c Orion has the same cells as the old 4800, 15c platinum--its just the cells from Kokam kept getting better and better so Orion decided to reflect the improving specs--so if you have a recent 4800 Orion it should perform alot better than its specs would indicate.

There is no reason to not look at packs that are rated below 25c. The 4800 Orion is only 15c but doesn't suffer for punch whatsoever.

The SMC 5000 28c is another great pack--this one actually stayed in better balance than my 4800 Orion--the only issue is that it has thick 12 g wire coming out of the side of the pack which makes it a tight fit in alot of cars. It also is slightly larger than the 4800 and 3600 orion.

Tamiya 419x/Associated TC7.1/Sanwa M12s/Xpert servos
d16dcoe45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:46 PM   #12
Tech Regular

I have ran a bunch of packs through my discharger to compare packs. Here is how I rate them.

#1 SMC 5000mah
#2 Trakpower 4900mah
#3 Orion 4800mah
#4 SMC 4000mah
#5 Tekin 4300mah
#6 Yeah Racing 3200mah
#7 Trakpower 5400mah
#8 Orion 3200mah

I have not had a polyquest in my hands to test yet but a friend of mine has 2 coming this week and I will see if he will let me test one.

In all fairness there is not a lot of differance between the top 3, and 4 through 8 are pretty close.

As others have alluded to, running mod your only requirements are runtime and durability. For that all listed will work great. As you want a little more runtime for a buffer and a top pack. Any of 1-3 will be a great choice just see what the best deal you can get is.

For stock you will want maximum punch, during my testing the SMC and trakpower standout as the best with both having about the same IR and the smc with a slight edge on avg. voltage. They also seam to respond the best to warming them to about 110deg F. Which will lower the IR about 10%.

Hope this helps
Old 08-11-2008, 02:24 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Thanks for the advice, d16dcoe45, and the awesome information, Stallard.

I'm finding it very surprising that no one can comment on the Enerland 5000RXQ hard-cased pack. I'd expect at least one person to own one, as it seems its a direct competitor to the TrakPower 4900 and Team Orion hard-cased packs. One with better specs. And it's Enerland, which supposedly is one of the best makers of Lipo cells.

Maybe I'll be the first one to try it out?

Of course, I won't have much to compare it to as it'd be my first Lipo, but if it really sucks, I'm sure I'll know then, hehe.

Dunno whether I should take the risk and give the PQ-5000RXQ a try, or just go with what's for sure going to work great - a TrakPower 4900.

Unfortunately, the wires coming out the side of SMC packs is preventing me from considering them. Not to worry, as the TrakPower 4900 is probably just as good.

So...

To risk it, or not to risk it... God, I hate making choices, lol.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:36 PM   #14
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shurcooL View Post
Thanks for the advice, d16dcoe45, and the awesome information, Stallard.

I'm finding it very surprising that no one can comment on the Enerland 5000RXQ hard-cased pack. I'd expect at least one person to own one, as it seems its a direct competitor to the TrakPower 4900 and Team Orion hard-cased packs. One with better specs. And it's Enerland, which supposedly is one of the best makers of Lipo cells.

Maybe I'll be the first one to try it out?

Of course, I won't have much to compare it to as it'd be my first Lipo, but if it really sucks, I'm sure I'll know then, hehe.

Dunno whether I should take the risk and give the PQ-5000RXQ a try, or just go with what's for sure going to work great - a TrakPower 4900.

Unfortunately, the wires coming out the side of SMC packs is preventing me from considering them. Not to worry, as the TrakPower 4900 is probably just as good.

So...

To risk it, or not to risk it... God, I hate making choices, lol.
I think the polyquest just haven't been out long enough for many people to use also the only place I have seen them is hobbycity and not everyone knows about them. I have very little doubt they will be good packs and I would venture to guess that they are building the cells for thunderpowers new hardcase packs.

http://search.horizonhobby.com/index...d=11BB37B3421F

Also the new SMC packs are supposed to have the wires coming out the top. You may want to contact SMC or chech out their thread in the on-road section to be for sure.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:56 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stallard View Post
I think the polyquest just haven't been out long enough for many people to use also the only place I have seen them is hobbycity and not everyone knows about them.
You're probably right about them being new.

However, I've seen them for sale in quite a few places, in addition to HobbyCity.com:
http://www.rclipos.com/PQ-5000RXQ-2S.htm
http://www.purehobby.com/RCCARPACKS.htm
http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.ph...cturers_id=289

Quote:
I have very little doubt they will be good packs and I would venture to guess that they are building the cells for thunderpowers new hardcase packs.

http://search.horizonhobby.com/index...d=11BB37B3421F
Actually, that doesn't sound good as I've heard bad things about Thunder Power batteries. Some people were having problems with their packs dying after 25-50 cycles and other complaints.

What did you base that guess on?

Btw, I thought I've seen somewhere that Enerland was supplying the cells for FlightPower batteries, which is the same company as TrakPower, just different marque. Is any of this true or am I in way over my head in confusion?