R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-10-2008, 07:16 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to W.E.D.Jim

I have owned almost every 4wd known to man and I have not found one that has durabilty as a strong point....none.

I have raced the XX4, which is probably the closest to a durable race level 4wd available. As long as it has their latest shock towers, arms, etc.

The cheaper cars, like any rtr 4wd you can find will be more durable, but not as good in the handling dept. For what you'll be doing, having fun, it should be fine though. Ones like the ZX-5, and similar will do great(for a 4wd).

Have fun!
...Jim
W.E.D.
"Nothing but the best!"
W.E.D.Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 07:31 PM   #17
Tech Regular

Do you think that one of the reasons that 4WDs have suppsoedly durability is because the kickup angle of the 4WD front suspension is only about 10 degrees while a 2WD car that has a typical kickup of 30 degrees?
haulin79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 08:04 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to W.E.D.Jim

Absolutely! One of the reasons for sure.

Other reasons are;
1)Much faster acceleration from more traction and less wheelies on high bite also means faster accel even with high traction!
2)Heavier vehicle, same basic arm designs and material thickness.
3)Aluminum is usually used for arm mounting, so more ridgid making the arms give instead.
4)Double deck chassis, also more ridgid, very little impact absorbtion.
5)Since the drivetrain adds substantial weight, they often push the limits too far trying to save weight. Sometimes the arms and tower designs are less durable. Combined with the lower kick up, and the other factors, hitting pipes means disaster.

I have not done actual testing....I would guess from a standing start, say 6-8 feet heading towards a turn, the 4wd might be going 15 mph, vs the 2wd's 8 mph, so the end result is much diffferent just from that 80% increase in speed before turning in too early, lol.

...Jim
W.E.D.
"Nothing but the best!"
W.E.D.Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 08:08 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to crazy4wdracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dethklok151 View Post
^thats the right idea. i was absolutely brutal to my nitro crt .5,and after a couple of simple upgrades,it has been one of the most durable vehicles ive owned.rc-monster makes aconverson kit,a little pricey,but crt.5s have been for sale a lot lately.i ve got one halfway converted for this type of driving.

ive seen a bunch of threads asking this question for a couple years,and some of the same guys have popped in on this one already... well MR.MANUFACTURERS,we are all still waiting!!!!!
I think Blue Groove RC Concepts makes an electric conversion for the CRT.5 too and it would probably be cheaper but it doesn't extend the chassis like the RC-Monster conversion does.
crazy4wdracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 08:11 PM   #20
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

may i suggest a durga to go with??
i just like you bashing only, i bash with my durga and i can say that compared to my zx5 the durga is more durable though i broke the shock tower on my zx5, well i t hink every zx5 owner has that problems
mog ruith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 08:12 PM   #21
Suspended

Location: r.i.p Chiquita - 1993-2008 - "best dog in the world"

I think part of your problem is that you're comparing 4wd racers, while being interested in a basher and I don't think there is not only no comparison I doubt if there's anything worthy that fits both parameters. Primarily the problem initiates around the idea of 4wd, which roughly at least doubles the number of moving parts in the driveline. So just from that point of view I'd reconsider your idea and instead, just for the basics of durability and upkeep, to go 2wd instead which leaves you a lot more vehicle options as well.
ratherBracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 11:40 PM   #22
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdoctor View Post
Something like a Dark Impact or even a racer like the B44 or ZX5 would be pretty durable if you don't strap in crazy power.

Run them on a 13.5 or 10.5 and that would help on the breakage and also make it more fun on a backyard track. It's the insane power and speeds that magnify the durability issues of 4wd.

Buy a spare set of front arms no matter what car you get.

Glassdoctor has it, Keep the speed down and durability will follow.
We have a group of novice drivers that run the dark impact. It is cheap and very tough as long as you keep speeds down. They stick to stock motors (27T/13.5) and I have only seen them break a few times.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:03 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Power and chance of parts breakage is directly proportional. Case in point:

1) Ran a 19x2 spec motor in my 4WD (BJ4WE), ran ALL DAY with no parts breakage. Wasn't the fastest guy on the track, but no parts broke at all (since it's slower and the car was more predictable).

2) Switched to a 13x2 mod motor in the same car, broke 3 front arms, shattered a steering knuckle.

Both times, same car, same setup, same driver, except there was much more power switching to the 13x2...

If you're considering to get a Dark Impact/Keen Hawk/Avante MkII, consider the DF-03MS, which is the same car except it comes with all the parts that was lacking, aluminum shocks, slipper clutch, hardened turnbuckles, etc...

Why not just get a race-worthy car to bash with? If parts do break, and they will at the worst times (murphy's law), might as well get something that is well-supported...

Consider which car is the most supported at your local hobby shop, that's what I would do...
Old 08-11-2008, 05:10 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

Run a mamba sidewinder mini & a 2100mah lipo. You will lose about 400 grams & the car will be amazingly fast. The lost weight will mean that the car hits curbs w/ much less force.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:29 AM   #25
Tech Apprentice

all cars have a weak point no matter what people tell you and 4wd's are probably weaker than most due to the speed that you can excelerate to without issue causing breakages because you can just hit things harder. The buggies you have already mentioned are aimed at the top end of the market which will make them lightweight and quick as possible but not ment for bashing as they wont take the impacts that bashing will deliver, having said that there are cars out there that do seem stronger than most and take more abuse than other cars, i personally dont run either but have driven both and found them to be virtually indestructable in my hands at least so possibly try either a durga (nice and cheap but difficult to get spares for or a HB d4. both cars as i say are strong and rugged and should be man enough for what you want.

for something different try the hongnor/jammin crt small 1/10th truck (comes as nitro but can be converted to brushless and is the same size as your zx5)
Old 08-11-2008, 07:29 AM   #26
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by party_wagon View Post
Run a mamba sidewinder mini & a 2100mah lipo. You will lose about 400 grams & the car will be amazingly fast. The lost weight will mean that the car hits curbs w/ much less force.
You solved nothing. It might lose some of the force of impace due to lesser weight of the battery, but it's still a high speed crash which does lead to more broken parts.
szakcajaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 07:55 AM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Its just the nature of the hobby.....if your gonna hit stuff with it...its gonna break eventually. deal with it. Ive never seen anything in my life that if you beat it against something it wont break something.
Brooksphotodesign.net
Flying Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote