R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-09-2008, 12:52 PM   #1
gfx
Tech Adept

Questions?? Top Motor Mfr's

I just got back into RC... a lot has changed since the late 90's. I'm wondering who some of the top brushless motor manufacturers are?

Last I recall, Novak only made ESC's... now I see they produce brushless motor/ESC combos.

So, if you guys can help me out and list the companies I should be looking at to buy a brushless motor from, I'd appreciate it.

Last edited by gfx; 08-15-2008 at 02:47 PM.
gfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 12:55 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Welcome back to the hobby gfx. The ones on top of my head are:

Novak (you already knew that)

Castle Creations

LRP

These are the main three that everyone likes... Of course, to find more, you can always browse online hobby shops or your local hobby shops...

I use the Mamba Max ESC + 5700Kv motor combo... I really love this system, so does a lot of other people. It's easy to program (GUI/Windows based) and the motors are fantastic...
Old 08-09-2008, 12:58 PM   #3
gfx
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_chang79 View Post
I use the Mamba Max ESC + 5700Kv motor combo... I really love this system, so does a lot of other people. It's easy to program (GUI/Windows based) and the motors are fantastic...
Wait... what?

You can connect these to your PC to program? I guess a lot has changed.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:14 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

LRP Sphere Comp 2007 ESC is the best I have tried so far

Orion still make top racing motors (Brushed and Brushless)

I am a big fan of sensored brushless systems. They seem to me to be smoother

.:Team Orion : JConcepts : B-Fast RC:.
johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 01:23 PM   #5
gfx
Tech Adept

What is a sensored brushless system?
Old 08-09-2008, 02:30 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfx View Post
Wait... what?

You can connect these to your PC to program? I guess a lot has changed.
Yup! With the mamba max system you can program and personalise pretty much everything. You can even create a custom power curve and a custom braking curve. It's pretty amazing... I just got back into the hobby 15 years absence) and am amazed at the new technology. I'm running a B44 with a Mamba max 6900kv system and this thing is rocket fast, jumps like a kangaroo, and grips like a centipede!

Simply amazing...

Cheers!

CODMAN
CODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:37 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Team Tekin is nice as well as Neu Motors
haulin79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 03:18 PM   #8
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Top Motors:

Neu
Hacker
Lehner
Plettenburg

Top ESC:

MGM
Quark
Castle Creations
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 03:41 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Sensored motors have a cable connecting them to ESC and this is how they make certain that rotation is going correct direction. Novak uses sensored ESCs and makes sensored motors. Some other manufactures also make sensored motors, I am not certain about sensored ESCs.

I run Novak GTB, XBR, and Novak motors. Everyone has their favorite. One issue might be if you race, check with track about rules. Some (ROAR especailly) require sensored motors.
nutz4rcyktw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 03:47 PM   #10
Company Representative
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfx View Post
What is a sensored brushless system?
Novak designs and manufactures only sensor based systems. All of our products are made (and remanufactured) here in our Irvine facility. Sensored motors have been approved by ROAR, and other worldwide racing organizations, for use in both modified and stock ROAR events.

Here is a page from our website:

BRUSHLESS MOTORS: SENSORED VS. SENSORLESS

Our website has a lot of information about our products. But, if you have specific questions let us know.
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 04:11 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Orion and Novak are the motors most people are using at tracks i run at haven't heard too many good things about LRP motors but there speedos are really ,Tekin speedos seem to be really good and seems like everyone is using sensored speedos and motors.
jag5508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 04:34 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Another thing that has really improved in those years is the battery technology !

Lithium Nano (Patented by A123)
Lithium Phosphate (LiPo)
NiMH
haulin79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 05:22 PM   #13
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

There are a lot of great brushless esc's and motors out there.

Tekin offers both sensored and sensorless esc's. Huge selection of motors, differenty systems and information on them.

If you plan on racing make sure your equipment will meet your local club and regional rules so you don't have to buy twice.

www.teamtekin.com

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 05:37 PM   #14
gfx
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
Novak designs and manufactures only sensor based systems. All of our products are made (and remanufactured) here in our Irvine facility. Sensored motors have been approved by ROAR, and other worldwide racing organizations, for use in both modified and stock ROAR events.

Here is a page from our website:

BRUSHLESS MOTORS: SENSORED VS. SENSORLESS

Our website has a lot of information about our products. But, if you have specific questions let us know.
Thanks. That link has some good info about sensored motors... I didn't even know there was a difference in BL motors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haulin79 View Post
Another thing that has really improved in those years is the battery technology !

Lithium Nano (Patented by A123)
Lithium Phosphate (LiPo)
NiMH
Yeah, I've been doing a bit of research on the Lipo technology. I'll probably have a few questions on that, in a while.

BTW: Thanks for all the info, everyone... I'm just trying to get a better handle on the new tech before I buy any electronics.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:07 PM   #15
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

[QUOTE=gfx;4723715] Thanks. That link has some good info about sensored motors... I didn't even know there was a difference in BL motors.
[QUOTE]

You are probably fully aware of this, but just in case, it should be pointed out that article is highly biased toward Novak produacts. In this case, sensored motors.

In the past couple years, sensored motors have been passed up by sensorless. In the coming years I'm not sure there will even be sensored brushless motor offerings (unless Novak continues it's choke hold on ROAR regulations).

Whatever the case, be sure to get many opinions before purchasing.

Kevin_N is offline   Reply With Quote