R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-10-2008, 07:51 AM   #16
Tech Adept

I personally have Murfdogg 7.5 and it runs like a 6.5 but is more driveable and IMO makes more useable power. Everyone who has one loves it.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:46 AM   #17
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfx View Post
I just got back into RC... a lot has changed since the late 90's. I'm wondering who some of the top brushless motor manufacturers are?

Last I recall, Novak only made ESC's... now I see they produce brushless motor/ESC combos.

So, if you guys can help me out and list the companies I should be looking at to buy a brushless motor from, I'd appreciate it.
Speedpassion makes a great BL motor and they also have a really user friendly speedcontrol also. It comes with a program box that's a snap to use.
toofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 10:39 AM   #18
Company Representative
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Thanks. That link has some good info about sensored motors... I didn't even know there was a difference in BL motors.

Yeah, I've been doing a bit of research on the Lipo technology. I'll probably have a few questions on that, in a while.

BTW: Thanks for all the info, everyone... I'm just trying to get a better handle on the new tech before I buy any electronics.
There are a lot of quality brushless products available, so the customer has a wide array of choices. Sometimes the best approach is deciding just how you plan to use the products and what your budget will be. Once you consider those issues, spending money is no problem.

Novak's systems are not quite plug 'n play, but whatever you need to get started is in the box. If you might need a heat sink and fan, we include it with the system. Our items are specifically designed so that racers can make simple repairs and upgrades without returning the components for service.

We make service items readily available so that customers can easily replace input harnesses, switches, capacitor modules, fans, power wires, rotors, endbell/bearings and install optional tuning rotors, if desired. Some other manufacturers sell motors that cannot be opened or rebuilt and controllers that must be returned to them to repair simple problems---such as internal power capacitor damage.

Novak customer service is second to none (and freeway close ---just down the road apiece...
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 01:40 PM   #19
gfx
Tech Adept

Okay... so, is the only difference between these two brushless systems their power output?

Novak HV Pro 6.5 Brushless ESC/Motor Combo w/5mm Rotor
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/25241

Novak HV Pro 4.5 Brushless ESC/Motor Combo w/5mm Rotor
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/24955

And what difference, if any, does the rotor size make?

Thanks.
gfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 01:49 PM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

ive been doing this for a little while now and i tried and researched almost all the systems and the orion race 10.5 with the lrp comp 07 and the jr9100s seems to be the way to go its smooth and responsive my opinion the best way to go if youre starting over again. It also works great with the orion 3600 and 3800 lipo. Stay away from mamba you will spend weeks trying to map it when lrp did a great job already
kyoslo RB5/ novak motors/ LRP sphere/ m11/ orion 4800,3800,3600/ blazin chronic racing/wphukuall radio/ raikkonen body/ mongoosed km-mini inferno with the multiplex red ass servo that owns johnny b-main and drew/ now at lir the JDM zx-5 sp mugen edition

"team bad guys"
gweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 02:05 PM   #21
Tech Regular

my personal chocie is the lrp esc. and the orion motor i use the 5.5 turn the lrp/orion combo is extremly smooth and smokin fast and they seem to run very cool. novak would be my 2nd choice.
charly71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:08 AM   #22
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by charly71 View Post
my personal chocie is the lrp esc. and the orion motor i use the 5.5 turn the lrp/orion combo is extremly smooth and smokin fast and they seem to run very cool. novak would be my 2nd choice.
+1 its even better with the orion 3600 or the new 3800
kyoslo RB5/ novak motors/ LRP sphere/ m11/ orion 4800,3800,3600/ blazin chronic racing/wphukuall radio/ raikkonen body/ mongoosed km-mini inferno with the multiplex red ass servo that owns johnny b-main and drew/ now at lir the JDM zx-5 sp mugen edition

"team bad guys"
Old 08-12-2008, 09:54 AM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSP View Post
Top Motors:

Neu
Hacker
Lehner
Plettenburg

Top ESC:

MGM
Quark
Castle Creations
All of those motors are on the EXTREME high end of the spectrum. I seriously doubt someone just getting back in to the hobby wants to pay $$$$ for a Neu or $$$$$$$$$$$$ for a Plett.
jla8874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:12 AM   #24
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I got my system as a Mamba Max 5700 combo. Love the options it gives me. Any updateds needed are a simple download from Castle. Ive run alot of systems and the Mamba is the most versatile, for me. I run a Sensord motor for racing and sensorless for bashing. I can do all out speed runs with my rustler one day, and run my converted 1/8 scale buggy o 4 cell lipo the next. I have met few people who dislike this system, it tends to be owners of other systems that like to put it down for being more advanced and versatile.

I have nothing bad to say about any other systems on the market, and have had good and bad things happen with them. Most of time being my fault. So go to sites read reviews and then buy. Theres enough info to read for 2 weeks before making a hasty choice.
MajorPede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:44 AM   #25
Tech Master

GFX, First you need to know what kind of car you are planning on running. 1/10th on road? 1/10th off road? 1/8th scale buggy? Truggy? Racing or bashing? etc.

For 1/10th off-road racing I use Novak ESC & motor (sensored), for 1/8th buggy (mostly bashing at a club track) I use Nue & Medusa motors & Castle ESC's (NO sensors). Take your time, go to the track & talk to racers etc.
-ROAR 4 cell rule Blows
RBMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:26 PM   #26
gfx
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_chang79 View Post
I use the Mamba Max ESC + 5700Kv motor combo... I really love this system, so does a lot of other people. It's easy to program (GUI/Windows based) and the motors are fantastic...
Do the Novak systems have the capability to be programmed through PC connection as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
Novak's systems are not quite plug 'n play, but whatever you need to get started is in the box. If you might need a heat sink and fan, we include it with the system. Our items are specifically designed so that racers can make simple repairs and upgrades without returning the components for service.
What, exactly, do you mean by the systems are not plug 'n play? I know what plug 'n play means, but how does this pertain to the Novak systems?
Old 08-13-2008, 02:03 PM   #27
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Do the Novak systems have the capability to be programmed through PC connection as well?

What, exactly, do you mean by the systems are not plug 'n play? I know what plug 'n play means, but how does this pertain to the Novak systems?

Castle and Tekin are the only ones who have PC based tuning capabilities right now.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:20 PM   #28
Tech Master

listen i have a couple of losi 100% sponserd guys at my track and they tried the programable esc. It took over 2 weeks of practice and tuneing to get it close to right then they needed to bring a lap top to race cause the track always changes. After a month of that they changed back. Something to live by. K. I. S. S. Keep it simple stupid. The lrp, novak, things like that plug it in hit some buttons and ur done. That simple.

"team bad guys"
Old 08-13-2008, 05:01 PM   #29
Company Representative
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

When you purchase a Novak system, the speed control and motor are soldered together (and tested together) at the factory. So, theoretically, you could just drop it in your vehicle and secure it, then "play".

It's not quite that easy, but everything you need to race is included and generally the default esc program setting is usable until you have an opportunity to read the instructions and decide how you want to change it.
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:05 PM   #30
gfx
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
When you purchase a Novak system, the speed control and motor are soldered together (and tested together) at the factory. So, theoretically, you could just drop it in your vehicle and secure it, then "play".

It's not quite that easy, but everything you need to race is included and generally the default esc program setting is usable until you have an opportunity to read the instructions and decide how you want to change it.
Okay, I'm just trying to understand this thoroughly... You say it could, theoretically, be dropped in and used; why is it not quite that easy? Is it simply because most people choose to tune it to their specific liking?

Thanks.