need 4wd buggy

Old 08-09-2008, 01:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default need 4wd buggy

k i need help asap i need a 4wd buggy for winter and dont kniow wich ont to get i am losi fan but no picky rad all these threds and hear so many diff things what is best comr on somone tell me have a losi 8 buggy i am going to trade for elc and wann mae sure its worth it. have b44 ofer xx-4 offer xxx-4g offer what should i go with? please help
Old 08-09-2008, 02:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

my advice mixed guy, ask yourself a few questions:

1) Which one of these buggies is supported by your local hobby shop?

2) Do you want shaft-based or belt-driven 4WD buggy?

3) What sort of battery pack are you running? Saddle? Side-by-side (or stick LiPos). Saddle-based buggies (B44/BJ4WE, HB D4, TRF501x) will require you to go saddle, if you're using 6-cell Sub C, it's not really a problem, just reconfiguring, but if you invested quite a bit on stick lipos, you might want to take this into consideration.

Some of the fanboys may tell you "B44 is the best" (I'm a B44/BJ4WE fan), or "XXX-4 kicks all other cars", but truthfully speaking, any of the 4WD 1/10th buggies can be tuned to kick some serious dirt!

Join some of the threads on specific cars, B44, D4, XXX-4, etc... and ask people why they like these cars... Usually you'll get biased opinions, but if you consider all the opinions from different angle, you'll usually figure out what you really want...
Old 08-09-2008, 05:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default track

I would also go to your local track and see what parts they have in stock local parts support is a good thing. 4wd break more usually cause you are going a lot faster when you hit something. Also see what some of the fast guys are runing sometimes some cars are better on different tracks. I was a die hard losi fan for 13 years I had a xxx-4 the only thing I didnt like was the front end parts are week.
Jeremy
Old 08-09-2008, 05:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

If Losi still made all the aluminum front pivot mounts I`d say XXX-4 , but the front of the buggy is a very weak spot and not sure why Losi stopped making them .

I`m a die hard Losi fan and hate to say IMO the B44 is a much better buggy . But go to your track and see what the majority are running and see what your LHS has better parts support for .
Old 08-09-2008, 09:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The B44 is not a much better buggy, the B44s never win at our track--they get beat on by the xxx4s, xx4s and zx5 sps. B44 is a great car--but so are alot of 4wds.

XXX4 is an awesome buggy. The only front brace you can't get is the 7.5 degree one--you can find it used though. Also, I don't think they make the front inner braces anymore--but again used. The G+ is not as weak as its reputation would suggest.

I think the xx4we is probably easiest car to drive consistently and fast--I own a bunch of 4wds and I have driven most of the others but the xx4 is my favorite. You can still get new parts very easily but its hard to find a NIB xx4--unless someone has a gem stashed away somewhere.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

IMO the BJ4,BJ4WE,B44 are the way to go... All my local tracks have a HUGE assortment of 4wd's and the ones always winning are B44's.
Most of the XXX-4's around here cannot handle the roughness of our tracks so thats why the B44 exceeds... If your local track is very smooth a XXX-4 would suit you very well because they run best on smooth tracks.
Also check out the TeamXtreme Predator X11 if your track is very smooth... It is quite pricey but it is one of the nicest buggys out.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (99%+)

Originally Posted by d16dcoe45
The B44 is not a much better buggy, the B44s never win at our track--they get beat on by the xxx4s, xx4s and zx5 sps. B44 is a great car--but so are alot of 4wds.

XXX4 is an awesome buggy. The only front brace you can't get is the 7.5 degree one--you can find it used though. Also, I don't think they make the front inner braces anymore--but again used. The G+ is not as weak as its reputation would suggest.

I think the xx4we is probably easiest car to drive consistently and fast--I own a bunch of 4wds and I have driven most of the others but the xx4 is my favorite. You can still get new parts very easily but its hard to find a NIB xx4--unless someone has a gem stashed away somewhere.
I personally ran a xxx4 and my times with the b44 spanked all my times with the xxx4. The 44 is an excellent 4wd buggy and corners, jumps, and takes a beating extremely well. But again check with your local hobby shop for part supply.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Originally Posted by d16dcoe45

The cars don`t win races , drivers do . The inner front pivots are a big weak point especailly for tracks with big jumps and if Losi still made them and the 7.5 brace I`d still be running a XXX-4 .

Last edited by Briguy; 08-09-2008 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:40 PM
Tech Regular

this is a question where if you ask 5 people this question you will get 5 different answers. but my 4x4 weapon of choice is the kyosho zx5 sp this thing is just butter smooth with traction like no other. ive driven my b44 cars and they to are great but for me its the sx5 my 2nd choce would be the hotbodies d4 it seems alittle clamer to drive than the b44 but all in all the top 3 seeds are, the sp,d4.b44 anyone of thease will make you a super star.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

i love my xxx-4 i just bought a new g+ kit for a smokin' deal, if you do go with the xxx-4g+ you will have to do some dremel work to the chasis to get anything bigger than a 3300 in it easily, its not very hard i could even send you a pic if you needed just pm me, and if you need some set-up tips that aerent on losi's site again pm me. I have got mine xxx-4 working fairly well at my local indoor clay track, and losi's win there fairly frequently.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

Why do you guys forget to mention the sbv2 pro?
Old 08-09-2008, 03:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 4WD Buggy

i'm liking my Kyosho Lazer X5 SP! First off i have to say we race on pretty rough and beat up tracks here in Canada. Most of our tracks are dominated by 1/8 nitro cars and truggies beatin' the heck outta the track! I originally purchased a B44 with all the "Worlds" equipment for it. I found the car FAST...and turned awesome. But i also found the car brittle,i have a bag of parts to prove it. i have since switched to the Lazer and have broken less parts...maybe i've become a better driver too! Both are competitive,so it comes down to much of the advice already given...support,etc. That's my 2 cents!
Old 08-09-2008, 03:13 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

+1 for the SBV2Pro (not the sport version). you get a lot of band for the buck. Only item I would change when using a high power setup would be the diff cups. I ran a Mamba Max 5700 setup and had no wear issue though.

If you LHS has no problem getting you parts, or if you like to stock up anyway, the SBV2Pro is not a bad choice for a wheeler. Its pretty durable and performs quite well. I also like that I can use stick packs.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:31 PM

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

get the b44 or Kyosho Lazer. both great cars. but it really doesnt matter which one you get, it depends on the driver
Old 08-09-2008, 04:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default xxx4g

k I went with xxx4g buggy now who can give me all the tricks and mods I need to know and spare parts to buy. somone give me the rundown. what do u all think good choice on xxx4g or bad?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.