Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Tekno Conversions Thread >

Tekno Conversions Thread

Tekno Conversions Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 09:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pullinteef View Post
Hey teknorc, any idea when the Tekno edition 1515/1Y will be back in stock? Have people been using them in 1/8 buggy on 4S with any success? My 1512/2D just bit it and I need a replacement. I used to run a regular 1515/2.5D/F in my old buggy and sold it thinking a lighter 1512 would be better. I actually preferred the 1515 and it ran nice and cool. The 1512/2D would still get hot no matter how I geared it (running 15 min and 30 min races)
Not sure when the motors will be in stock. We do update the site as soon as they come in though.

A 1515 will run perfectly fine in a buggy, but we have been running 1509's with our buggy conversions with great results under race conditions. If you want the most powerful motor, the 1509 might not be for you. But if you want efficiency, smooth power, and great top end, a 1509/1.5Y on 4s is an awesome race setup. Even better is a 1509/2Y on 5s. The 1512/2D pulls almost twice the amps as the 1509/1.5Y which may have contributed to your heat issues. We think the 1512/2.5D is the best 1512 motor for 4s buggy setups. You may need to gear up 1 tooth to get the top end you're after, but otherwise it's a very powerful and efficient setup.

It can be argued that a 1515 will run more efficiently in a buggy since it is doing 'less work', but in our experience it's overkill for buggies. Truggies are a different story, but the same trend is at work. We've run 1512's in truggies with terrific results. Currently, we're running 1515/3D's in truggies on 6s. We're also experimenting with 1515/1.5Y's on 6s - a little smoother on bottom with more top end, but perhaps less run time. We have another setup with a Medusa 60-1300 on 6s that is probably the most efficient, but not quite the fastest.

A lot depends on your driving level and expectations as well. Too many are putting insane motors in their vehicles to find that they can't control it properly on the track or that it runs too hot or isn't making run time. We have been progressively going to more 'conservative' setups with consistently better results. Remember what they say, 'Slow is fast'. That certainly holds true for brushless as well. Hope this helps.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:04 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 255 (100%+)

Teknorc: you guys have any plans to release a cheaper line of motors in the future? I think it would be cool to see you guys team up with say Medusa and make an RC Car oriented motor that would be a more budget level setup.

Maybe your own line of ESCs too?
Old 08-12-2008, 10:40 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Teknorc: you guys have any plans to release a cheaper line of motors in the future? I think it would be cool to see you guys team up with say Medusa and make an RC Car oriented motor that would be a more budget level setup.

Yeah, that would be cool. One step at a time for us though. We're still trying to expand our Tekno edition Neu line We'll see.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain View Post

I thought the Medusa's were only the low 100 dollar range to begin with? I dont know if I would even want a motor much cheaper than that considering the overall cost of a conversion. Why skimp on one of the most critical parts?
Old 08-12-2008, 11:56 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 255 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jla8874 View Post
I thought the Medusa's were only the low 100 dollar range to begin with? I dont know if I would even want a motor much cheaper than that considering the overall cost of a conversion. Why skimp on one of the most critical parts?
I am talking in comparison to there current Tekno motor which is about $250. Having a Tekno medusa, oriented for car use, at half the cost would be great.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:43 AM
Tech Adept

Ran my 8b at the track again last nightI went through two packs with no issues except loosing a few screws. The clutch is tightening up like you said it would and the controller is working with no problems. Reading the other threads with the mmmv2 problems I still say this is a fantastic set up with the servo break insted of the motor break. Thanks guys, I havent worried about a smoking a esc for a week now and counting.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:17 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jlinds View Post
Ran my 8b at the track again last nightI went through two packs with no issues except loosing a few screws. The clutch is tightening up like you said it would and the controller is working with no problems. Reading the other threads with the mmmv2 problems I still say this is a fantastic set up with the servo break insted of the motor break. Thanks guys, I havent worried about a smoking a esc for a week now and counting.
That's awesome to hear and like you mention, you probably won't have any issues with ESC's anymore . We've been running 6s through the Mamba Max's for some time now and have yet to fry one since the brakes aren't putting any stress on the system. Motor selection is still crucial if running 6s, but we've run some very fast race setups with zero issues.

Do you have any pics of your setup that you can share with us? Talk to you later.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 154 (100%+)
Default Question about servo operated brakes

Please forgive me if the question I am about to ask is truly dumb, but I have never run a Nitro car or any other one with servo operated brakes.

On an all electric car (like my 8 conversion with direct drive) both the throttle and brake response is instantaneous with respect to the trigger motion (excluding radio transmitter delays).

It would seem to me that with servo operated brakes on these conversions, there is a delay introduced by the time is takes for the servo to actually move (mechanical parts not moving as fast as electrons). Is this noticable? Or is it something any Nitro driver will already have accounted for in his driving style?

What about an all electric guy driving a Tekno conversion and now dealing with mechanical brakes? Do you need to learn to drive differently?
Old 08-14-2008, 11:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ta_man View Post
Please forgive me if the question I am about to ask is truly dumb, but I have never run a Nitro car or any other one with servo operated brakes.

On an all electric car (like my 8 conversion with direct drive) both the throttle and brake response is instantaneous with respect to the trigger motion (excluding radio transmitter delays).

It would seem to me that with servo operated brakes on these conversions, there is a delay introduced by the time is takes for the servo to actually move (mechanical parts not moving as fast as electrons). Is this noticable? Or is it something any Nitro driver will already have accounted for in his driving style?

What about an all electric guy driving a Tekno conversion and now dealing with mechanical brakes? Do you need to learn to drive differently?
Thanks for your question.

I also have an all electric background in RC until I tried 1/8th nitro for a couple of years before converting to 1/8th scale electric recently.

I look at it this way:

If you think about 1/10th scale electric vehicles that have motors doing the braking, you have to consider that they only weigh half as much as they're 1/8th scale counterparts.

This is huge and is not linear to the vehicles scale.

They also use the motor to brake the car using the rear wheels (as most 1/10th scale racers are rear wheel drive). This rear wheel braking affects corner performance. Imagine the front wheels doing the braking as you need to come up to a corner and turn.

Front wheel brakes are what you get with direct drive in a 4wd with 3 differentials. And this "corner performance" is compounded with the much heavier 1/8th scale vehicles.

You will find that it feels much more natural to drive an 1/8th scale RC with servo brakes and compared to direct drive IMO. From brakes that make the rear end of the vehicle come around a corner from any angle and allows faster corner speed, TO natural flight characteristics, allowing the vehicle to jump long distances without having to keep the throttle balanced in flight and giving the ability to crush the throttle upon landing.

As for the delay in braking? You are the first to consider this to me. Just like your electronic speed control, the delay is the exact same. None.

We do get pretty good servo's for the brakes though. I wouldn't spend less than $60 retail for a brake servo. Must have enough speed and torque.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:03 PM
Tech Adept

Marzac2
How are you fitting a 6 cell under a 8 b body? I'm trying to get some pictures of my set up out but I may need my teenager to accomplish it. lol
Old 08-14-2008, 04:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jlinds View Post
Marzac2
How are you fitting a 6 cell under a 8 b body? I'm trying to get some pictures of my set up out but I may need my teenager to accomplish it. lol
Remember, when running higher voltage, you are able to run slower, more efficient motors to achieve the same speed. This means you can run a lower capacity battery. In the case of 6s in a buggy, we have tested the following packs. All of them work great. Paired with a 1300-1500kv motor (1509-1515, Medusa, etc), you should get 15+ minutes of runtime in a buggy, no problem. We timed the Neu pack at around 20-25 minutes with a 1512/2Y, stock gearing (13/48 Losi 8B). It was timed under race conditions and was definitely faster than nitro around the track.

Neu 6s/3900/25C
Hyperion/PolyQuest/FlightPower 6s/4250/18C (just fits under)
Hyperion/PolyQuest/FlightPower 6s/3700/25C
Hyperion/PolyQuest/FlightPower 6s/3200/30C

There are definitely others, just compare the size of the pack in question to these confirmed pack dimensions and you'll know for sure if the pack will fit.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 150 (100%+)

Hi Tekno, how soon do you now expect release of RC8 conversion kit? Can't wait
Old 08-14-2008, 07:58 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by slow supra View Post
Hi Tekno, how soon do you now expect release of RC8 conversion kit? Can't wait
We were hoping to have it available already, but the Olympics have delayed our production and shipment from Taiwan (also affected). So not only have nitro prices gone way up and a slew of other company's products been delayed, even a small company like us has been affected.

Once we get them in we'll be prepping them for shipment to our distributors, dealers, and of course our direct customers ASAP. We'll sneak a shot of the production sample (which we've been racing for months) before it's available and we'll have studio shots available just like the Losi's before they go on sale.

Sorry we don't have more specific dates at this time and I apologize for the delay.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:39 PM
Tech Adept

how do u post pics?
Old 08-15-2008, 02:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

there is a sticky in the for sale section to teach you how to post pictures.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service