R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-29-2003, 09:32 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Talking What happened to the Wild Willy?

My little 4yr old nephew and I picked up 2 Wild Willy 2's from the local hobby shop to build and fool around with...good 1st time RC. Anyhow, after bashing with them, I realized how fun they are and instantly started looking for hopups(a disease we all have) While looking for hopups, I learned that these little buggers were the hot thing to race in the 80's and there are even racing leagues for the willy's currently in Japan

Now this has gotta be the coolest damn little truck for newbies and young kids alike...Any one racing these or has a racing leage here in the good ole states? They may be slow, but they are the coolest little buggers...
dynamic_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 10:30 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Funny you should mention the WildWilly 2. I just picked one up over the weekend when TamiyaUSA had them on special during the last TCS race. I agree, its the coolest little truck. I've got a huge stable of racing sedans but the Willy takes the cake.
The Mabuchi will be the first to go. Mine won't be slow - that is simply not an option.

Is there a web-addy for hopups???
linger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 10:50 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Default Hahhaha

Smae here man...never figured out why they arent as popular here...my info was from here:
http://www.tamiya.com/english/produc...wild_willy.htm

I love these little buggers....they dont handle for crap, but that where the fun is at!
Old 09-01-2003, 08:52 PM   #4
Tech Regular

The Willy just went through your typical production run, and Tamiya just stopped selling the kit in order to introduce new cars to their product line...

You're right they were tons of fun... which explains why Tamiya brought out the Willy2! Another classic Tamiya ride that they re-introduced a few years back was the Mountaineer, which if I'm not mistaken, was a repro of the original Tamiya Bruiser, considered the first of the monster trucks (well, it WAS first truck designed to do some no holds barred, rough-terrain 4WD bashing - I guess the Clod Buster was the first TRUE monster). I never got to see a Mountaineer up close, but the original Bruiser was an almost all metal chassis (talk about rugged). Jeez, was that nostalgic or what?
TurnNBurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 09:40 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Default hahaha

hahaha...i think a tear comes to the eye when we talk about old tamiya stuff =)
Old 09-01-2003, 10:33 PM   #6
Tech Regular

ive seen people put a micro rs4 truck body on there Willy 2. it looks like a real monster truck. if you thinks it cant handle good try sticking a 10turn d5 in it and see what it does (its fast)
Omar is offline   Reply With Quote