R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-01-2008, 11:46 AM   #31
Tech Apprentice

sorry but with the limited use of my hands rtr are the only thing thats been keeping me racing for the last two years and ive been doing it for at least 20 years
garys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:51 AM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to OTE_TheMissile

Quote:
Originally Posted by garys View Post
sorry but with the limited use of my hands rtr are the only thing thats been keeping me racing for the last two years and ive been doing it for at least 20 years
Well if you've got a condition, that's perfectly fine with me and I'm sure everyone who's kits-over-RTRs will be willing to make that exception. One of our local truggy guys is a paraplegic, and the whole brushless conversion thing has really kept him going.

It's the perfectly capable people who buy an RTR, have all the service & repair done by the local hobby shop & still think they're accomplishing something, those are the people I've/we've got a problem with.
OTE_TheMissile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:10 PM   #33
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTE_TheMissile View Post
Well if you've got a condition, that's perfectly fine with me and I'm sure everyone who's kits-over-RTRs will be willing to make that exception. One of our local truggy guys is a paraplegic, and the whole brushless conversion thing has really kept him going.

It's the perfectly capable people who buy an RTR, have all the service & repair done by the local hobby shop & still think they're accomplishing something, those are the people I've/we've got a problem with.
+1
rocket-mtrsprts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:36 PM   #34
Tech Master

It's another one of those semi-elitist things that gets me, but exists in just about every hobby...you're wrong, because you didn't get into it the accepted way! The RIGHT way to get into RC is to build it with your bare hands, not have a car handed to you one a silver platter, so you can go out and drive it!

I just don't understand the snobbery about it. If someone likes the model building aspect of the hobby, perhaps even more than the driving aspect of it, I seriously doubt you're going to see message board posts from RTR owners, belittling modelers for their choice in how they approach/enjoy the hobby. I never get razzed in the parking lot by someone who rebuilds classic cars, because I'm not driving a car I built with my own hands...so why does it matter in RC?
kdeselms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:38 PM   #35
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeselms View Post
It's another one of those semi-elitist things that gets me, but exists in just about every hobby...you're wrong, because you didn't get into it the accepted way! The RIGHT way to get into RC is to build it with your bare hands, not have a car handed to you one a silver platter, so you can go out and drive it!

I just don't understand the snobbery about it. If someone likes the model building aspect of the hobby, perhaps even more than the driving aspect of it, I seriously doubt you're going to see message board posts from RTR owners, belittling modelers for their choice in how they approach/enjoy the hobby. I never get razzed in the parking lot by someone who rebuilds classic cars, because I'm not driving a car I built with my own hands...so why does it matter in RC?
Maybe because building is part of the expertise and experience neccessary to the hobby, unlike many other hobbies like golf or tennis, to be able to talk about it and give advice. It seems to me that if you're extolling information about your car or truck and how to do things you should at the very least have the experience of the build backing you instead of just thinking you know what you're talking about because you bought it off the shelf.
szakcajaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:06 PM   #36
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by szakcajaru View Post
Maybe because building is part of the expertise and experience neccessary to the hobby, unlike many other hobbies like golf or tennis, to be able to talk about it and give advice. It seems to me that if you're extolling information about your car or truck and how to do things you should at the very least have the experience of the build backing you instead of just thinking you know what you're talking about because you bought it off the shelf.
+1
Old 08-01-2008, 11:11 PM   #37
Tech Master

Well we're going to have to agree to disagree, I guess. It's just pointless stratification of the hobby, to me - racers feeling they're superior to bashers, kit builders feeling they're superior to RTR drivers...makes no sense. And I don't think you'd ever find an RTR driver disseminating sage advice about setup or hop-ups, as some sort of guru. They just want to goof around with an RC car from time to time. Don't see what's wrong with that.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:03 AM   #38
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Well we're going to have to agree to disagree, I guess. It's just pointless stratification of the hobby, to me - racers feeling they're superior to bashers, kit builders feeling they're superior to RTR drivers...makes no sense. And I don't think you'd ever find an RTR driver disseminating sage advice about setup or hop-ups, as some sort of guru. They just want to goof around with an RC car from time to time. Don't see what's wrong with that.
It's a hobby.. you can get out of it what you put into it... I don't understand the "elite" mentality of some people in the hobby.. even the "team" drivers... Nobody knows you from Jack outside the track.. I race to have fun.. it is very rare that an RTR Basher comes up and starts telling me what I'm doing wrong.. It's usually the RTR guy asking for advice to either keep his ride running or how he can get into racing! Maybe it's not the hobby.. it's the class or lack there of in some people....

I remember back 15 years ago racing at The Ranch Pit Shop (Owned by Team Losi). The "team" drivers back then were really cool guys.. they didn't care if you were a novice or a basher.. you could go up to them and talk and ask questions. They would really do their best to help you and make sure you had fun. Sadly I rarely see anything close to that today.

Fortunately for most of us, the majority of folks in this hobby are genuinely friendly people.

Jerome
JeromeK99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:03 AM   #39
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Who's smarter? As a newb.

This guy......?
XXX-T CR. 319.00
servo 114.00
motor 70.00
ESC 175.
lipo 100.00
Radio 320.00
Charger and power supply 150.00
Paint the body 10.00
Build the kit. Pure enjoyment. Free. Means you know every inch of the kit.
As a NEWB what will he really know and how much will be built wrong???????
Who really knows. The stuff he screws up will cost him more.
Total 1058.00 Give or take. And the stuff that's wrong some one will help him with it because he built it.

I say if you enjoy the build great but if your not doing your own custom airbrushing your not really filling the full build process.
You have to do a complete custom airbrush to say you did the full on start to finish, to fully do the build complete.

Or this guy........?
XXX-T RTR 375.00
Charger power supply 150.00
Lipo pack 100.00
Repair as he goes with a manual same as if building it. only tearing it down to repair.
A difference of.....433.00
That's enough he can buy another RTR. Hmmmm. The bad thing is most racers don't want any part at helping a guy with a RTR or roto start. I helped a guy tonight with a jammin truggy who had a roto start.
Tonight I ran the heck out of my Turmoil ARR and was right up the with the pack.
Long live RTR's.
There making it much more affordable and easy for the most of us.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:16 AM   #40
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UN4RACING View Post
Who's smarter? As a newb.

This guy......?
XXX-T CR. 319.00
servo 114.00
motor 70.00
ESC 175.
lipo 100.00
Radio 320.00
Charger and power supply 150.00
Paint the body 10.00
Build the kit. Pure enjoyment. Free. Means you know every inch of the kit.
As a NEWB what will he really know and how much will be built wrong???????
Who really knows. The stuff he screws up will cost him more.
Total 1058.00 Give or take. And the stuff that's wrong some one will help him with it because he built it.

I say if you enjoy the build great but if your not doing your own custom airbrushing your not really filling the full build process.
You have to do a complete custom airbrush to say you did the full on start to finish, to fully do the build complete.

Or this guy........?
XXX-T RTR 375.00
Charger power supply 150.00
Lipo pack 100.00
Repair as he goes with a manual same as if building it. only tearing it down to repair.
A difference of.....433.00
That's enough he can buy another RTR. Hmmmm. The bad thing is most racers don't want any part at helping a guy with a RTR or roto start. I helped a guy tonight with a jammin truggy who had a roto start.
Tonight I ran the heck out of my Turmoil ARR and was right up the with the pack.
Long live RTR's.
There making it much more affordable and easy for the most of us.
I highly doubt that they include the same quality electronics in the RTR as you stated one would buy for the kit. You'd end up buying a new motor, speed control, servo, and radio for the RTR because they include the bare minimum with these things. It's always a rule that anything they include with RC cars, electronic wise, are usually junk (i.e. the Tamiya tin can motor).

I see where you're going, and a RTR is a nice start for someone who just wants to take it out of the box and run it at the track, or home. There are many people who would still like to buy kits, obviously, if they were widely available... or as widely available as RTRs.
thecraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:45 AM   #41
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecraze View Post
I highly doubt that they include the same quality electronics in the RTR as you stated one would buy for the kit. You'd end up buying a new motor, speed control, servo, and radio for the RTR because they include the bare minimum with these things. It's always a rule that anything they include with RC cars, electronic wise, are usually junk (i.e. the Tamiya tin can motor).

I see where you're going, and a RTR is a nice start for someone who just wants to take it out of the box and run it at the track, or home. There are many people who would still like to buy kits, obviously, if they were widely available... or as widely available as RTRs.
Exactly. I mean really, a newbie driver isn't going to be able to make use of the top-of-the-line electronics, servos and whatnot, anyway. As their driving skill advances and they start to get into it, the conversations they have at the track and hobby shop, together with the online research, will start leading them toward the upgrades they need to make. When they've finally reached a point where they're not rookies anymore and they are still into the hobby, I would be willing to bet MOST of them will make their next car a kit build.

The whole point we're making is that RTRs serve the very important purpose of being a "gateway" for a lot of people into RC, whether it's racing or bashing. Some might just stop with the RTR and never advance beyond that, but a lot (like myself) definitely get hooked and delve deeper.

I mean, you go into a hobby shop and of course you're going to see a bunch of RTR's on the shelf - but I seriously doubt you're going to find a lack of kits there...and this is the digital age, you can easily get kits online. I don't see that RTR really threatens kit building, I think it actually serves to funnel people toward kits as they get more serious. I started with an RTR (though it doesn't bear much resemblance anymore) and my next car is definitely going to be a kit...but I will be building it with the knowledge that I gained by starting with an RTR and seeing what needed to be upgraded/improved.

I feel sorry for the newbies going in buying factory team kits with all graphite parts, then going out and breaking their cars in half because they were designed for skilled drivers who don't do cartwheels on the track
Old 08-02-2008, 06:18 AM   #42
Suspended

Quote:
I don't know that either feels superior, but there seems to be a lot of resident experts or keybord warriors on this site and others handing out a lot of advice within weeks of owning their first rc. One week it's rookie questions, and the next they're the ones defending their right to give out advice.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:38 AM   #43
Tech Adept

Default hi

hi i just started rc last year 2007 n now i own 1 tamiya ta02 Porsche Cayenne S Transsyberia n now i am in to rally use this car n wanted to do something diffrent like the tamiya Mighty Bull a 2wd monster truck with a powerfull esc that can power 20t n higher n what do u thing i shout get
nameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 03:03 PM   #44
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxymoron View Post
I don't know that either feels superior, but there seems to be a lot of resident experts or keybord warriors on this site and others handing out a lot of advice within weeks of owning their first rc. One week it's rookie questions, and the next they're the ones defending their right to give out advice.
Only advice I ever feel qualified to give out is the rookie-to-rookie sort, based on my last three months of racing. Hopefully that wasn't directed at me? Most of my discussions on this board have pertained to the Slash or the whole "entry into RC" subject, which I do have some experience in.