R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-31-2008, 01:24 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The overwhelming success of Traxxas is forcing everyone else to make everying ATR or RTR just to survive. Their commitment to RTRs has proven to be unbeatable.

I would love to know what the actual number is, but, it wouldnt surprize me if Traxxas was responsible for 70% of all RC vehicles sales in the US.

I think haulin 79 is 100% correct. Being able to pay some worker in China practically next to nothing to build a kit correctly is cheaper than having to continuously be sending out replacements for parts that were improperly installed after a newbie tried to assemble a kit.

LCRC Raceway and Bumps & Jumps.
Ed237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 04:07 PM   #17
Tech Regular

Years ago(75-80) I was the manager of a hobby shop. There were no RTRs. I really enjoy building kits and being able to spread out the cost is the only way I can participate. If only Traxxas still offered kits. I would love to have an E-Revo, but the cost is prohibitive. Don
DLS II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 04:30 PM   #18
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

My friend learned a good lesson about the difference between buying a RTR and a kit. He bought a RTR Lazer ZX-5 about 5 months ago. 5 months later his car is now basically a Lazer SP with a different radio & brushless setup. Everything that broke on his car was replaced with the SP part. What I'm trying to say is that he would have been better off spending a bit more and getting an SP first off. (He drives his car balls out so he might not be a good example?)
Old 07-31-2008, 07:47 PM   #19
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I know this is an electric forum but what about us guys that just don't have time to devote to the build. I bought an ARR Turmoil from Sportwerks and couldn't be happier with it. Just had to lock tight some stuff and its held together sweet.

It may be that The RTR "ready to race" kits are just what the doctor ordered for the busy I don't have time for racing guy.
I like it either way but you could grenade it and rebuild it. The manufacturer will focus on getting us not lazy guys to the track, but rather help us make up some time for the track.
Unless they start squeezing more out of us for being built?
I'm for the ready to race kits my self.
Signed.
Member #1 of the lazy class.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:08 PM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

[QUOTE=thecraze;4693381]From what I've seen in the short time I've been back in the hobby, many RTRs have downgraded components (no oil shocks, no ball diffs, no ball bearings). Wouldn't you have to spend more on upgrades in that instance?

you're right. I just got upset because I see this going the way of real cars. In the 50s (?) many guys would fix their own cars. Now, it's rare when a guy can do routine maintainence (oil changes, filter, plugs and wires, etc.).

QUOTE]

Well most quality RTR's like Losi which doesnt make crap (except for 1/18) have all those stuff. Ball bearings, aluminum and sometimes threaded shocks, and most of them until the Desert Truck 1/10 had ball diffs. Plus they come with a 2.4ghz radio and all those fancy stuff.

I see alot of people play with the car, and if it breaks go to the LHS and says it's broke, fix it. I had RTR's and now a kit but I dont care what I have, I usually do "too" much maintence. Like I would rebuild the diffs after 1 or 2 runs because Im bored and if the shocks get any tad bit of dirt in them I will tae apart the whole thing.

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:16 AM   #21
Tech Master

Speaking from my own experience, the fact that I could get an RTR truck to go race with eliminated a lot of the intimidation factor, when getting into the hobby. If I had been responsible for choosing servos, motors, tires and the whole nine yards, right from the get-go, it would have been too much to process right up front. My interest up front was to drive. You can't ask someone who knows nothing about the hobby and all the various parts to jump in with both feet and make choices with no knowledge of what they're doing.

However, since buying the RTR, I have put a LOT of money into changing and upgrading things as I discover what works better, I've taken the thing almost completely apart to figure out how everything works, and the next racer I buy will most definitely be a kit, so I can get that experience of building it from the ground-up.

When I was young, I used to build plastic models and some model rockets - getting into RC has rekindled some of that interest in building and tinkering in me. But if not for the abundance of RTR vehicles available now, you can bet that a LOT of people would not pursue radio control driving as a hobby, in the first place. That is probably the main reason Traxxas is at the top of the RC sales heap, when they introduce a product like the Slash that is ultimately accessible to anyone, fun to drive and low-maintenance. If you then get into it to the degree that you want to build more "serious" RC cars, then they've succeeded in hooking another hobbyist...and companies that make kits should be thanking them for bringing new customers into the hobby.

RTR is what will keep RC healthy and continue the influx of new blood. If there are people who never decide to tinker and just want the local hobby shop to fix their car for them...well that's good for the hobby shop business, ain't it

Last edited by kdeselms; 08-01-2008 at 12:28 AM.
kdeselms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:25 AM   #22
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeselms View Post
But if not for the abundance of RTR vehicles available now, you can bet that a LOT of people would not pursue radio control driving as a hobby, in the first place.
Well, I guess it's changed too much since I was out. I am still going to stay in it and build kits because it's fun for me.

To each his own.
thecraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:30 AM   #23
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecraze View Post
To each his own.
I think that says it all. It takes all kinds
kdeselms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:30 AM   #24
Tech Rookie

Oh well. I thought the whole idea of this hobby was building then running your RC.
thecraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:58 AM   #25
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Oh well. I thought the whole idea of this hobby was building then running your RC.
Your not wrong at all. Its just another great thing about the Hobby/Racing. Its targeted for every one.
The last 2 kits I purchased were RTR. One was the Losi XXX-T brushless kit and its seriously ready to race. There even better now.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:40 AM   #26
Tech Initiate

Half of the fun of R/C is building the car. Then once you take it to the track your so worried about using it so it won't be new anymore lol.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:57 AM   #27
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
I've gotten back into Radio Control lately, and I have to say I'm dissapointed. I was in it in the late 80s, and it used to be a hobby. there was nothing as a ready to run high end radio control car or truck. If you didn't want to build, you had to get someone to build it for you.

Now high end radio control is mostly RTR. I feel depressed about that. At my local hobby shop that just opened, he got in one kit of about 50 cars, trucks, helicopters, and planes. What happened?

This used to be a hobby. You had to put these things together yourself, and learn about your vehicle. I mean c'mon, these aren't complicated at all. I used to know 10 year olds that would put these together. Are we that lazy?

What happened to the thrill of assembling, and running it? Every time I see someone with an RC that's an RTR, I have to laugh. These people are not in a hobby, they're along for the ride.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeK99 View Post
Generations lost...

R/Cs are a great hobby.. I personally love to tinker and build stuff.

The problem is that for the last 20 years people have gotten so used to instant gratification. They want to buy it and play right away.

I used to run a hobby shop about 15 years ago... so many times kids came in with Grandpa and not dad to buy stuff to build... So many parents at Christmas time would come in and want something ready to go...

Sad.

+1
rocket-mtrsprts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:08 AM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to OTE_TheMissile

+2

Still race kits
Still use brushed motors & build them myself
Still glue my own tires
Still build my own shocks

Still winning races

And for those reasons I'm pissing EVERYBODY off in the process.

I'm linking this thread in my signature, easily the most intellectual topic I've ever seen in this whole forum

Last edited by OTE_TheMissile; 08-01-2008 at 11:18 AM.
OTE_TheMissile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:17 AM   #29
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You're just a BAD, BAD boy !!!!!!

rocket-mtrsprts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:20 AM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to OTE_TheMissile

You're damn right I am!

My Old Man was a slot car racer from the time he was my age up until I was about 8 years old. He specialized in open class cars: the only things he bought were the tires, pinion & spur gears, motors, and the guide flag, and even that stuff wasn't run straight as it was out of the box. Everything else, right down to the Lexan bodywork, was hand-fabricated and soldered on the very same workbench in our basement that I build my R/C trucks on today. He brought me up to know that you'll only get out of something what you put into it, whether it's racing or otherwise. So if you want to win at the racetrack, you're gonna hafta WORK for it

Last edited by OTE_TheMissile; 08-01-2008 at 11:30 AM.
OTE_TheMissile is offline   Reply With Quote