R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-04-2008, 11:39 AM   #31
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H View Post
I thought a trickle charge & top off charge on nimh race batts was not recommended? SMC and others I thought?
Yes, there is no reason to use the trickle and top off charge on nimh batteries.

Now to lipo, I have been using the ice charger to charge lipo batteries for 2 years now. I have never had a single problem with any lipo that I have owned, that is not quite right, I did have a problem with the align 20c pack that came with my T-rex, but everyone did, and that was while in use, not charging. The reason some may find swelling during a charge with lipo, is because the pack is out of balance, leading to one cell having a higher voltage than the other. Believe it or not, lipo cells still need to be balanced, so long as you have a balanced pack you can charge it to 100%. And I have put packs straight on the charger that came off the track at 150 degrees F. I balance my cells before going to the track every time. You would be surprised that after only 3-4 charges on a lipo, how far out of balance they can get, although I have found that some manufactures stay closer in balance than others. Regardless, they all will at some point need to be balanced, and if I were to buy a used pack, that is the first thing I would do.
trilerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:43 AM   #32
Tech Rookie

Quick question about power draw on either the checkpoint or the ice. On the tower site it says they both require 12.5 amp power supplies. If you are charging lipo at 1c say a 4800 mah(4.8 amps), would it still require 12.5 amps? I ask because I am thinking of getting one of these, but only have the Novak N-power 10 amp supply. I don't want to get a new power supply next season when I decide to run lipo. I will only be running one charger if I do decide to do it.
squeaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:49 AM   #33
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeaks View Post
Quick question about power draw on either the checkpoint or the ice. On the tower site it says they both require 12.5 amp power supplies. If you are charging lipo at 1c say a 4800 mah(4.8 amps), would it still require 12.5 amps? I ask because I am thinking of getting one of these, but only have the Novak N-power 10 amp supply. I don't want to get a new power supply next season when I decide to run lipo. I will only be running one charger if I do decide to do it.
You only need what you are going to charge, plus about .25 amps for the charger itself. However, if the power supply you have is not efficient then you will need more. But I would say that with a 10amp ps, you will have no problems charging a 4800 at 1c. For a time before I got my ce ps, I used a 10amp integy ps that I ran 2 ice chargers off of. Both charging at 4amps. No problems, that ps is still being used at my track 3 years later by someone else.
trilerian is offline   Reply With Quote