R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Which 1/10 scale electric? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/234544-1-10-scale-electric.html)

Willdawg4th 07-29-2008 10:53 AM

Which 1/10 scale electric?

I was at a hard packed dirt track (OCRC) and I saw how all of these kit buggies and trucks were just easily maneuvering around the track and my Rustler xl 5 had a very difficult time, I was wondering which kit should I get? or is there a really good RTR out there? my budget is 250$ And this will be used as a racer.

JonBoy 07-29-2008 11:28 AM

Sorry but im wondering about a similar topic and did not want to start another thread. First off I would suggest the factory team or the team kit only. If your really wanting to get into racing the FT only. Its about $240 but thats just the kit and you do need to put it together. Id suggest buying used. Lately I have seen some nice almost new FT on this website for around $150 to $175. I would also stick with a truck no buggy.

Here is my question and you could prob give some good input. I have a FT T3 needing about $40 put into basically body and couple small parts. Also buying a VXL rustler and taking the brushless out of it for my pede so dont consider that, Should I stick with the T3 or sell it and keep the rustler? Only club racing just for fun.

Chris__RC 07-29-2008 11:32 AM

Well the T3 will beat the rustler on a track no doubt.

RCRat 07-29-2008 03:17 PM

Yes, the T3!!! Or even an XXX-T for that matter.

rm25x 07-29-2008 03:54 PM

Or here's a thought, get the right tires for the track for the Rustler, and take a little time to set up the suspension. I doubt the truck would hold you back over your driving ability on the track.

Chris__RC 07-29-2008 03:57 PM

You arent gonna be magically great and beat everybody else with a new truck. Those people are at the track almost every day and they have their trucks and buggies dialed. I have seen a kid with a xxx-t cr and it was doing worse than the person with the rustler there.

Brandon A 07-30-2008 09:31 AM

It's true that a new kit wont magically put you on the podium but it definately doesnt hurt. Trucks are definately more forgiving than buggies but my personal opinion is that the buggies are more fun to dive. If your budget is $250 I would recommend something like the b4/t4 race spec. If it's your first racer you probably wont even be able to tell the difference between that and the factory team version anyway. Either that or by a used one, thats a pretty good way to upgrade for cheap.

Cain 07-30-2008 09:47 AM

One thing to keep in mind as well when buying say the T4 or B4 factory team vehicles is that they use graphite suspension parts. Which are more rigid, and hence will not have as much give in a crash, so you have a chance to break these easier.

Personally, I prefer a B4 or T4 team addition with some of the key upgrades for durability. (hingepin brace, titanium turnbuckles). Now, I would primarily buy this used as its more expensive new than a factory team, but used in good condition you can get them REALLY cheap as they are not factory teams.

Taking a used vehicle in good condition, tear it down completely and give it a rebuild usually only costs me about $10 - $20 to refresh it and make it run again. A lot of times no money at all as I look for lightly used vehicles or ones by reputable sellers.

As for what vehicle to get, see if the guys at the track will let you try there vehicles (offer to pay for any broken parts) to see if you like it as you are interested in a new vehicle.

Personally, I like buggy myself as I like the way they handle and look. But I would recommend going with the class that you like, and as the best turnout.

Chris__RC 07-30-2008 11:07 AM

So if you get the T4 do you think you will beat the other trucks at the track?

And how much do you think it will improve your laptime?

What do you think a racer will do that your rustler didnt?

Miller_Time 07-30-2008 11:09 AM

If you're using the stock Rustler tires, that's a large portion of the problem there. Tires are 90% of a vehicle's setup - if they're not right you're not ever going to get it working good. Ask the fast guys what they use, or look at their trucks if they won't tell you for some reason.

You might have a little problem getting wheels that fit a Rustler since they use a different hex than most "race ready" trucks, but it can be done.

If you feel you must get something new, I suggest the Factory Team T4 all the way. It's going to be expensive, but in my opinion it's the best 10th scale racer out of the box.

Willdawg4th 07-30-2008 11:31 AM

I think it will handle much better and have great throttle control that will be very lightweight

Willdawg4th 07-30-2008 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Chris__RC (Post 4689587)

I think it will be much more lightweight and easy to handle

Willdawg4th 07-30-2008 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Chris__RC (Post 4689587)

I think it will be much more lightweight and easy to handle

OG RC 10T 07-30-2008 11:48 AM

Like many others mentioned, set up has a lot to do with everyting.

When I started out I almost went broke buying the best of everything that I could afford. (no brand names intentionally) Great radio, charger, buggy and truck, electronics for each, ect...

The only thing I got out of it was a big credit card bill and my butt kicked week in and week out by kids and there cheap RC's.

I learned that, to a point, it dosnt matter what you have as long as it is set up properly. Tires, suspention settings, adjust the camber of the wheels, have the proper gearing for your motor and have the slipper adjusted correctly. Also make sure it is something that you like it, it is dependable and parts are available for when something breaks.

With out any of the above you wont do much better no matter what you buy.

In my experiance.

Trucks are the easiest to drive, stability wise, and are the slowest, because of there size and weight; when compaired to an equally equipped buggy.

2wd Buggies are the most difficult to drive, but incredibly fun when you get the hang of it. It is also one of the most competitive classes.

4wd is the most expensive, but super enjoyable, because you almost always have incredible traction no matter where you drive. Though this is not the case 100% of the time, they are usually the fastest because you can put all of the power down when you run fast motors. With slower motors you get incredible traction even if the track is in terrible condition, where most 2wd's would be sliding all over the place.

Though the latter is a little off topic, thats just my look on whats out there. Hope it helps.

Chris__RC 07-30-2008 12:14 PM

OG RC 10T,

So do you suggest that he gets his rustler dialed for the track with new tires, etc. or get another truck?