Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Continue with BJ4WE or buy a B44? >

Continue with BJ4WE or buy a B44?

Continue with BJ4WE or buy a B44?

Old 07-29-2008, 12:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Questions?? Continue with BJ4WE or buy a B44?

I have a small dilemma, I have a BJ4WE that needs a new set of CVDs (the bone-side is slightly bent).

I break parts here and there under normal use. But as you know, the JConcepts parts (the unique ones, not the Losi or AE parts) are hard to come by.

I've been contemplating on whether to go the either of the three routes:

1) Buy some replacement parts (via online, through JC's store) and just stock on some parts I will need and continue using the BJ4WE

2) Modify my BJ4WE slightly to be able to accept the readily-available (at my LHS/On-site hobby shop at the track) B44 parts. Such as modifying the front bulkhead to use B44 front arms, which will allow me to use B44 castors, B44 knuckles, B44 CVA, and etc...

3) Just fix my BJ4WE and shelf it and buy a B44 to save me the time of having to modify it, and have a car where parts are easier to come by at my LHS/On-site hobby shop at the track...

I do value the opinions of many of you out there. I would really appreciate any guidance on "what would you do?" kinda response... I especially would love to hear from those of you who have owned the BJ4WE AND later bought the B44 and to hear if you guys have regretted your purchase, or still race your BJ4WE after your B44 purchase.

The B44 is a great car with many improvements and great features (adjustable slipper withouth dissassembly comes to mind, as well as the beefy steering knuckles, thicker drive hexes, etc.), but I'm just not sure if I'm ready to leap into the AE bandwagon and shelf an awesome car like the BJ4WE.

so "What would you do?"
Old 07-29-2008, 03:46 AM
Tech Initiate

I had the exact same problem as you, I would stock up on all the parts I thought would break or had broken(bought like 20 a-arms ect) and then something else I didnt have would break anyway. So I got kind of fed up and figured it was time for me to try something new anyway and I ended up buying a ZX-5 and switching some of my electronics over.

I still plan on racing/driving my BJ4 because its an amazing car, but for everyday practice it kind of sucked driving an hour or more to a track just to break the one part I didnt have. So it's up to you but to be honest it almost feels like you would need at least a couple of every spare part that wasnt losi/asc so I would go with option 2 or 3.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:08 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the good advise, Motoxpro, I'm still planning on using my BJ4WE for as long as I can. I'm going to modify the front end slightly to accept the B44 parts, since the front end is the portion that tends to break the most (surprise, surprise )

It involves cutting the front hinge area of the front bulkead. But this would be a permanent change. Also, I'm replacing the CVDs with B44's CVAs, front B44 castors, B44 steering knuckles (which are super beefy, I managed to shatter one of Losi's which was very surprising)...

I think once the front end is modified, rest of the parts aren't too critical. The rear shock tower is usually protected by the wing, and the chassis and the braces aren't likely to break unless you REALLY get into a nasty crash

Old 07-29-2008, 09:59 AM
Tech Regular

Forget about the money factor for now, which option will maximize your running time at the track?

With a busy life that will only get busier, every minute on the track is precious.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

The only parts I needed to keep on hand for my BJ's were front arms, a set of gears, and some steering rack posts.

If your breaking other parts then that, then you should by a kit that is better supported at your LHS such as the B44.

For the B44, I still keep a set of front arms and a set of gears on hand.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

If you love it ... Keep it....

If wanna a new kit get the b44... or lazer zx-5 FS it's the new kid on the block.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:29 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I can see your dilemna, but at the same time I'm puzzled by the question.

Purely from the racer point of view, it all but seems a no-brainer that you'd want something in which ease of getting replacement parts wasn't an issue. And since the platforms are so similar it would seem an easy decision to update to the B44 as, if for no other reason, than the parts are/should be available just about anywhere.

Then again from the hardcore racer point of view since the BJ4WE can hardly be considered outdated, though it does differ slightly from the AE version, it makes me wonder if it's possibly a better performer on certain surfaces or terain? Kinda in the old Losi 4wd debate, years back they came out with a new improved version of their 4-wheeler yet the team drivers kept the older version around as it performed better on rutty tracks. I don't personally know if this could be your case, but it's a thought.
Here again, depending on how many different tracks you race at, if both the vehicles perform the same maybe another option getting/keeping both and setting them up differently (dry track vs. damp track) via different shock oils and springs.

Just some food for thought....
Old 07-29-2008, 06:57 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah, I went to option 3). I broke down and bought a B44

I'm still going to clean up and fix my BJ4WE and do one last major maintenance on it and possibly sell it as a roller. I haven't decided yet...

If anyone is interested, I will post it once everything is fixed and the car is cleaned up... I've never sold a lemon and I'm not about to either...
Old 07-29-2008, 07:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

the bj4 is an awesome car i am sad to see them go..
Old 07-29-2008, 07:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Did you upgrade to a B44 or downgrade to a B44?
Old 07-29-2008, 08:30 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tom_chang79
Yeah, I went to option 3). I broke down and bought a B44

I'm still going to clean up and fix my BJ4WE and do one last major maintenance on it and possibly sell it as a roller. I haven't decided yet...

If anyone is interested, I will post it once everything is fixed and the car is cleaned up... I've never sold a lemon and I'm not about to either...
Old 07-29-2008, 09:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MattWebb
Did you upgrade to a B44 or downgrade to a B44?
Funny how you ask that question. Feels like both. There are parts of the B44 that I like more then the BJ4WE, but there are other parts that feel cheap (such as the center bulkhead, front castors, etc...).

I also don't really like the slipper assembly since it seems a lot more complicated. I never really had to tweak the slipper once it's set, but who knows, I may enjoy this feature...