Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
i cant solder, help please >

i cant solder, help please

i cant solder, help please

Old 07-30-2008, 05:43 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rocket-mtrsprts
I find it extremely odd that people suggest an iron on the grounds it's "THE STANDARD in battery building" when in reality, unless someone's blowing up or replacing packs all the time or actually in the pack building business, battery pack building only comprises I would guess somewhere about 2% of any soldering most people do. Period.
Well if you would spend more time reading and less time being a prick, you would have read that the original poster was asking about an iron to add a cell to his battery pack.

But I guess that is why you have been suspended so many times?
Old 07-30-2008, 05:46 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JeromeK99
Thanks for the link!

I found something interesting when I looked at the info on the iron!

The 936 soldering station is an inexpensive, compact station that you can stack to conserve valuable bench space.
Features include:
• adjustable temperature control with lock/set screw

temperature range 392°-896°F (200°- 480°C)

• maintains idle temperature within 1.8°F (1°C)

• ceramic heating element and senor insures rapid heat-up temperature (30 seconds) and lightning-fast thermal recovery

• Celsius or Fahrenheit temperature setting

• temperature adjusted by simply turning the dial

• slender iron handles are insulated and ergonomic-designed for ease and comfort

• accommodates large, medium or small irons

• wide selection of tips available for soldering SMD and through-hole connections

(see Specifications for more details)

Its not any hotter than my $10 Craftsman! lol.. I may have to buy a $2.99 pack of tips every now and then.. oh well..

I give props to Hakko for the cools colors though.. just not worth it to me.

I think the key here is making sure you have the right kind of tip and it's not all used up when you go to solder something like a battery pack...

Jerome

No hotter true, but temps are not as important as tip mass and recovery time of the iron.

As you say, it won't matter if the iron gets to 2000 deg if it has a .01 oz tip and it takes a hour to warm up.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

So people put way too much in to specs. "No hotter than my Craftsman." There is waaaay more to look in to than just that sir.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:56 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jla8874
Well well, what do you know. Fresh off of suspension and rockets in prime form. Can you not read sir? CLEARLY I said the 80W is the standard for that 2% of soldering like you said, BATTERY BUILDING.
I didn't "start" anything, but CLEARLY you ARE insisting on doing it.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:09 AM
Tech Master

Lets just leave it alone people. He's trying to get someone to bite. The best thing to do would be for everyone to just ignore his posts. Just leave him to argue with himself.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:22 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

While investing in a top-knotch quality iron is the way to go for people that plan on doing a lot of soldering, it's not a neccessity for the majority of people that aren't going to become semi-full-time battery builders in the same way someone doesn't need a jig to assemble a pack. Those are tools for the people that do it all the time, along with those that just want them, but are in no way a neccessity despite what some people are insisting.

The fact of the matter is that the answer was well covered in the second post in this thread -- and big honking high temp high tech investment quality irons are not neccessary for the average hobbyist that's only going to solder a single battery maybe only once in their life.

As far as the people seemingly intent on turning this thread into another one of their juvenilistic shouting and insult matches - the IGNORE feature works great!
Old 07-30-2008, 09:13 AM
Tech Master

I've never seen THIS one before. Looks pretty trick!
Old 07-30-2008, 09:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Just don't feed the trolls......

Anyways, when I owned NIMH batteries, I figured another 50 dollars for an iron to solder my Pro match Batteries was nothing. After all, I invested 300 dollars in batteries, whats another 50 bucks (25 for the adjustable heat station and 25 for the 80 watt iron)

I also bought a Deans battery assembly jig just to make everything perfect.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:59 AM
Regional Moderator

Looks like they also make a clone of the Hakko

http://www.madelltech.com/m3-8.html

Most electric racers use their irons for more than just battery building. Let's see you use that 80w Weller to solder the 16 ga. wires on a 1/12 scale motor with it already in the pod. I just think that for not a lot more money, an iron like the Hakko (or one of the clones from Madell Tech) has more utility. Buy good tools once, or cheap tools again and again. Plus, if you ever decide to get out of the hobby, you can unload a Hakko for a decent price.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:54 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

All I'm saying is I do not care for the 80 watt weller. It may work great for others but it's not my thing. The 40 watt/900 deg weller does great for me. Those that say it doesn't last long are doing something wrong. I had one for five years before it burned out (left it plugged in for over a week by mistake) and it's replacement is now over nine years old. You do not need to replace the tips on it, just grind it down to fresh copper with a dremel or file and re-tin it. I have used it to build hundreds of packs, left it on all day for hardwiring packs and motors in the car and even used it build slot car chassis and motors without any problems at all.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer
All I'm saying is I do not care for the 80 watt weller. It may work great for others but it's not my thing. The 40 watt/900 deg weller does great for me. Those that say it doesn't last long are doing something wrong. I had one for five years before it burned out (left it plugged in for over a week by mistake) and it's replacement is now over nine years old. You do not need to replace the tips on it, just grind it down to fresh copper with a dremel or file and re-tin it. I have used it to build hundreds of packs, left it on all day for hardwiring packs and motors in the car and even used it build slot car chassis and motors without any problems at all.
I am with you brother !

12 bucks !!!

More money for tires and stuff like that.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have a Weller FAT 80w and a Weller 25w.
They have suited me perfectly and I have never really "needed" more.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:29 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RB FIVE
I am with you brother !

12 bucks !!!

More money for tires and stuff like that.
http://www.amazon.com/Weller-80-Watt...449430&sr=1-12

How many tires and stuff can you get for $10?

Just joking!now!! The weller 40watt is a great iron for and will do a fine job assembling batteries. That is why I own both!!!!
Old 07-30-2008, 01:35 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I think I see why so many people like the 80 now when I and so many others used to hate it. It did not used to be rated at 900 degrees. 80 watts or not, the one I tried out years and years ago would not even hit 800. The 40 watt 900 degree iron would crush the 80 watt iron on any soldering job. It seems sometime in the last fifteen years they have upgraded it.

I still like my 40 better though.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default $$$$$$$$!!!!

Honestly, you do not have to spend $$$ on a fancy soldering iron. I have a cheap Craftsman with a small chisel tip and cheap 60/40 solder.
Let the iron heat up till it melts the solder easily.
Make sure the surfaces you are soldering are clean.
Tin each part.
Put together and apply heat.
Ta Da! you're done!
Be sure to clean the soldering iron frequently by having a wet rag handy.
I think those fancy soldering irons are over rated.
I have been doing it this way for 20 years.
Just my opinion!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.