R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-25-2008, 09:38 AM   #61
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
I have been racing for 25+ years and I still am unable to change positions on the driver's stand. Once I am locked into a spot, even moving one position left or right makes driving very difficult.

Same here.... i try and work on it. But it's hard.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:39 AM   #62
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BillyCaldwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRCRacer22 View Post
My biggest weakness is driving to hard when it isn't necessary. My style is pretty agressive and when I can tone it down to 90% it's a thing of beauty. But I to often push to hard and overdrive especially with an early mistake in a race!

Good Topic!

Amen

and... lack of practice since there are no electric offroad tracks within an hours+ drive time.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:21 AM   #63
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxymoron View Post
so what do you do when you need to take a pee????

Adult Diapers...

I often woundered about the Pro's, at the big races running nitro and when they make all three a-main's. There are on the drivers stand for 2 1/2 hours straight.

Just think about all of us falling apart on the drivers stand and the Pro's have the the extra stress of making a 6 figure income vs. a 5 figure income if they dont win.
Cameron Kellogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:39 AM   #64
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Kellogg View Post
Adult Diapers...

I often woundered about the Pro's, at the big races running nitro and when they make all three a-main's. There are on the drivers stand for 2 1/2 hours straight.
???

didn't know such races existed. three A mains is specific to electric cars.
heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:59 AM   #65
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 111 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Sinclair View Post
Being serious though, I've worked the last year or so on the fact that I tend to ignore my set-up and try to drive better, when in fact a few choice adjustments make a world of difference to the, and thus make it easier to drive.
I too am guilty of ignoring my setup and just driving. I need to get unlazy and do some research on what changes does what to the car. I made a copy of the XRay setup guide, but have not read that too much yet. I assume that may give some good tips even though it is on-road oriented. Thoughts?

Very good reading in the thread too and good point by Rick. I need to practice from different areas of the driver stand... I tend to stick to the middle of the stand and a spot or two left or right doesn't rattle me too much.

Last edited by AaronR; 07-25-2008 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Post # 666 YIKES!
AaronR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:08 PM   #66
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Triple a main are used in almost every large electric event. Most pros run 3 classes. that makes 9 mains. most of the time the classes are back to back or 1 in between. Then they have a short break and back to work. That's why most of them have a team working with them.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:21 PM   #67
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretic View Post
???

didn't know such races existed. three A mains is specific to electric cars.

He probabably meant 1/8th buggy, truggy, and 1/10th truck mains in Nitro....i.e. 3 mains. All can be long.
RodneyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:24 PM   #68
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to xtremelimits285

Well i sorta have 2 of them.

1. Im a C4-5 quadrapiligic/handycap an dont have use of my fingers so i put my hand in a U shaped peace so i put my hand in it, an i have to use a 4channel stick radio to drive(a PLANE / HELICOPTOR radio), an use the right stick on the radio for CH1. GAS/BRAKE & CH2. STEERING LEFT/RIGHT, an use it like a Joystick...
Driveing down straightaways/Staying Straight or staying in the bluegroove, Cus with a 4ch radio the right stick goes to the left or right when im pushing forward on the stick for gas/ an same for brakeing. I added another/2nd spring on the left & right part of the stick so its harder to push left an right, an it helps alittle to keep me from pushing the stick to the left or to the right by 2mm's-3mm's WHILE IM PUSHING FORWARD ON THE STICK FOR THE GAS. But my rc car still wonders around/or drifts left or right when im gassing it to go down a straightaway or to hold/stay online...
(This is something ive adapted too, but i still tend to find it hard to drive, an know if i had use of my hands & fingers id beable to use a pistal grip radio and i know i can/would beable to drive better)...

2. Again cus of my handycap im in a electric wheelchair an i have a hard time seeing the whole track, cus both of the tracks i go too arent handycap/wheelchair accsessable, and i cant get on the driver stand..
I live in Hudson,Florida 20miles from Tampa Lake Parks Rc Track, an there driver stands 10'-12' feet high with steps/ an a ramp but the ramp is at like a 45*-60* angle, ive been up it once with my last/old wheelchair, an it took 3 people hiolding/pulling/pushing on my wheel chair to get up it, if noone was behind me holding/pushing my wheelchair would have FLIPPED BACKWARD, anyway it took like 5mins just to get up it, an now i have a new wheelchair thats not able too get over speedbumps, bumps into a houses front door like my old one, an theres no way it can even make it up a ramp more then 10*-20*... Also i go to B&B Hobbies an there stands 8'-10' feet high an only has steps.. So i have to find a spot that i can see the track better, im going to build A trailer with rear tailgate ramp into my own drivers stand, ill add about 1'-2' higher inside the trailer so ill be alittle higher an beable to bring it to the track an see more of the track..

Last edited by xtremelimits285; 07-25-2008 at 12:58 PM.
xtremelimits285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:28 PM   #69
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Most of the 1/8 nitro mains at nationals are 45min mains. Make the A main in Buggy,Truggy, and Mt and your are going to be driving for a while.
Cameron Kellogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:42 PM   #70
Suspended

"What is your racing weakness...."

nude turn marshals
Old 07-25-2008, 01:02 PM   #71
Tech Adept

mine is hearing my name being called over and over or announcing what kind of run i am on lol like last weekend i was a second behind cody k. in qualifieng and joey started anouncing it so i started pushing it to make up that 1 second lol but like always i screwed the pooch and droped back couple more seconds lol...

xtremelimits your right the city or roar or who ever is in charge of making sure a track and driver stand gets build correctly should make consideration for you guys...they should all have wheelchair access and without it being super steep i have been seing alot of guys who are handi cap always have the dis advantage because of the driver stand even my pops who loves to race cant because 99% of the tracks are too steep for him to climb up and down with his conditions....the NITRO PIT in AZ has the best ramp i have seen so far for an 1/8 scale track and ocrc for the indoor 1/10 track both have stairs and a very nice ramp for wheelchairs..
AIRTRONICS
C.Poh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 04:41 AM   #72
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Mine is when i make a mistake even if i remain in front i get angry with my self and keep stuffing up for the rest of the race............some times i end my race if i fall too far back in fear of breaking some thing with my stupidity or just take a 30 sec breather in the pits

"Why follow, when you can lead?"
Schumacher
Drifting101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:58 AM   #73
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifting101 View Post
Mine is when i make a mistake even if i remain in front i get angry with my self and keep stuffing up for the rest of the race............some times i end my race if i fall too far back in fear of breaking some thing with my stupidity or just take a 30 sec breather in the pits
Try to always look forward the previous lap cannot be changed during a race.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:55 PM   #74
Tech Adept

Mine are hesitating to go faster and passing cleanly. The reasons for my weaknesses are wanting to have good control and not to crash much.

Oh yeah, and lack of practice time.

Durango DEX410R - Aluminum Upgrades included ; X-Factory X-60 ; Ofna Hyper 10 SC ;
Team Xtreme Predator X11 (for fun, no race) ; Hot Bodies Ve8 ; Tamiya F103R

Last edited by SCD WldCrd; 07-26-2008 at 01:57 PM. Reason: adding more
SCD WldCrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 02:42 PM   #75
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremelimits285 View Post
1. Im a C4-5 quadrapiligic/handycap an dont have use of my fingers so i put my hand in a U shaped peace so i put my hand in it, an i have to use a 4channel stick radio to drive(a PLANE / HELICOPTOR radio), an use the right stick on the radio for CH1. GAS/BRAKE & CH2. STEERING LEFT/RIGHT, an use it like a Joystick...
Driveing down straightaways/Staying Straight or staying in the bluegroove, Cus with a 4ch radio the right stick goes to the left or right when im pushing forward on the stick for gas/ an same for brakeing. I added another/2nd spring on the left & right part of the stick so its harder to push left an right, an it helps alittle to keep me from pushing the stick to the left or to the right by 2mm's-3mm's WHILE IM PUSHING FORWARD ON THE STICK FOR THE GAS. But my rc car still wonders around/or drifts left or right when im gassing it to go down a straightaway or to hold/stay online...
(This is something ive adapted too, but i still tend to find it hard to drive, an know if i had use of my hands & fingers id beable to use a pistal grip radio and i know i can/would beable to drive better)...
I'm missing a left hand and I fly helicopters. I had Horizon Hobbies modify radios for me. They can get it ware the sticks will only move the way they need to and fix them from moving they way you don't. I had a 6 channel JR radio done for me that way for running cars. PM me if you need a contact person at Horizon. (I worked there at one time). As for my car radio I now use a M11 converted to left handed. Odly enough I drive with the stearing channel reversed. example...radio turns left, car goes right. I know, but I can't help it.

As for my biggist weekness, If i'm in the lead I try to relax. So much so that the feild will catch up to me.

“Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.”
jrwoodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote