R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-23-2008, 02:38 PM   #16
Tech Regular

It's pretty funny that Hobby People employees have the reputation for being snooty...how snooty can a person get that makes less than $9 per hour selling toys?!
haulin79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:13 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

James, you are not alone in the disdain for Ultimate. I live within walking distance of the store and I will not shadow their doorstep. Almost EVERY time I broke down and went in there for something, I would walk out pissed off and empty handed. RARELY did I ever get what I went in for, or felt decently treated when leaving. Have I bought stuff there...yes. Back when I ran Academy cars, they were the ONLY place I could find parts locally, but that went south quick. Before they moved to the current place, I was in there weekly, buying something. I loved the place, customer service was good....slow, but good. Now....I would rather go to Hobby People and deal with the minimum wage know-it-all that knows nothing. At least I am greeted when I walk in the door.

Dont get me started about "special order parts"...
jk racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:15 PM   #18
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to CE28N

I walked into speedtech's store in san gabriel. Even though it is small, it is less "corporation" and more hobby shop. The person at the counter was helpful and even talked about rc drifting a bit. I'd rather drive 20-30min to speedtech rather than drive 5min to hobby people (on hawthorne) and waste 25min telling the ppl behind the counter "yes. Its a kee-yo-sho laaazzzeerrr".

I was actually interested in buying an RB-5 last weekend and ultimate hobbies was on the way to my friend's place so I stopped there. The guy I talked to behind the counter said that "Kyosho is probably gearing up for the release of the new 1/8th gas car (MP9) so they probably aren't shipping those out". What?? Umm they still do make the RB5 and they should still be shipping those... I just walked out with a bottle of #400 shock oil..
CE28N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:55 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by haulin79 View Post
It's pretty funny that Hobby People employees have the reputation for being snooty...how snooty can a person get that makes less than $9 per hour selling toys?!
I've had generally positive experiences with HP employees AT the store. The Riverside and Chino guys have always been cool to deal with. They even let me go behind the counter and pull my own parts. Their system sucks (no selection), but it is what it is.

Ultimate for the most part is nasty to deal with. There are a few people there who are really helpful...but it's a total crapshoot whether you get them or not. More often, it's the kid who happens not to like whatever car you happen to have, so they mysteriously never have the parts for it. If you happen to draw the guy who likes the car you happen to have...you're good to go.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:46 PM   #20
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

I bought from Ultimate (internet order) about a year ago and had a great experience. I decided to go with them again about two months ago on a large order because of that, and I'll never order from them again.

This was when the Slash first came out and were in great demand. Their website showed "in stock" so I placed the order for that and some other items and paid by credit card - this was on a Saturday. On Monday I started seeing posts on the Traxxas forum of people that had pre-ordered from them and were told they wouldn't get one on the first shipment. I called to check on mine and confirm it was in stock and would be shipped, but couldn't get anyone to answer the phone. I left three voicemails over two days before finally getting an answer. Eventually I got to someone in the shipping department and was told that they had sold all of their inventory and I would get one on the next shipment, it was expected in 2-3 weeks.

My credit card had already been charged for the full amount of course, and I couldn't get them to explain why it showed in stock when I ordered, the order was processed, then placed on backorder, and no one even contacted me about it. I actually spoke to the owner after another day of not getting an answer, and he said "Well the Slash is a hot item, we don't list it as backordered because people should expect that it will be."

I later found out that they had put all of their pre-orders on backorder status, and were selling the trucks to walk in customers instead. They have free shipping advertised on anything over $150, so I guess they decided that they should not pay to ship something when they could sell it cash n carry.

That was bad enough, but what really sealed it for me was that not only did no one contact me on the status change, but I never even got anything close to an apology. He actually acted like I should have expected to wait 2-3 weeks for the "in stock" item I already paid for.
Miller_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:17 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Well, one positive that came out from this Ultimate fiasco... Because of their snooty attitude, I'm discovering never-knew-it-existed-before hobby shops! I'm forced to look elsewhere for a hot item I need the day before I hit the track (so I can maintenance my car), and that's how I discovered great places like Rob's.

Tower Hobbies are awesome. Never had a problem with them at all. One time, I ordered about $1400 worth of servos (for my robot project) but I forgot to apply their special offer/promotion code in groups (i.e. save $25 on $250 order). So I forgot to save myself over $100 worth of savings. I called them up to cancel my order. No restocking fees, no B.S. They completely understood why I was cancelling and was very friendly.

Recently, I ordered some parts (this past Tuesday). Well, I received it Wednesday... Holy fast-delivery Batman!

I've been buying stuff from Tower Hobbies since 1990, and they have never disappointed me. I look forward to their catalog every year. It's a required reading on the *ahem* "morning throne."
Old 07-25-2008, 08:36 PM   #22
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

This is disheartening to hear.

Back in 2001-2002 I lived in LA and loved Ultimate Hobbies. This was back before their new location. Great service and knowledgeable employees. I really hat to see such a great place degrade itself like that.

I will definitely be weary of them from now on.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:53 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Never really got anyone throwing me attitude at Ultimate but they are famous for making people wait....lol
Old 07-25-2008, 10:12 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I swear about every other time i go in there i ill never go back but obviously i do.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:27 AM   #25
Tech Champion

What the heck??? James, you're cheating on Speedtech?

Maybe it was my fault. I better make sure I have your goodies in stock next time. I'll take the blame.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:31 AM   #26
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_chang79 View Post
OOOOOOh... speedtechrc in Walnut. They are importers I believe. I just noticed they were already in my bookmark. They are neat, they import from Japanese manufacturers such as Xenon...

Do they have a store front? Or are they an online-only store?
Hey Tom,

We've moved to San Gabriel. We have an actual retail store and parking lot racing/drifting events. Come by and check us out some time. If you're in to import goodies, we carry Xenon Racing, Speedway Pal, KM Concepts, 3 Racing, JAAD, Azarashi, and others.

Cheers,
Jeff
Old 07-26-2008, 12:35 AM   #27
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjunkie3000 View Post
I was visiting Socal and stopped by Speedtech RC. They have an actual brick and mortar store as well as an online store. I bought some hard-to-get Kyosho ZX-5 SP parts that no other hobby shop in Socal seemed to carry. I tried Hobby People and other hobby shops but no Kyosho parts.

Jeff is a cool guy and he was very helpful and answered all my questions. I'll be buying more parts over there.
Hey rcjunkie3000,

Were you the customer that "got lost" on the way to Disneyland and ended up in front of Speedtech? I tell this story to all my RC buddies. It's a classic.

Cheers,
Jeff
Old 07-26-2008, 12:45 AM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedTech View Post
What the heck??? James, you're cheating on Speedtech?
BUSTED!!!
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 12:57 AM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hate to bring back an old thread, but a few weeks ago, I was forced to go back to Ultimate to buy a DF-03MS kit. I guess the service there is a hit-or-miss kinda of a deal since this time, the guy who helped me wasn't such a jerk... I did bump into that same nameless guy that kept playing the RC Simulator and who has a sailor mouth (not professional, especially in front of little kids with parents)...

They are ok, can't argue with them about their price though, their prices are as low as Tower Hobbies, sometimes even lower...

BUT, if you want some GOOD prices, I've always found Rob's RC Hobbies to be the best.

FT B44 - $299
MM+5700 Combo - $180

Rob's RC Hobbies is a cozy little shop in Garden Grove, and everyone there is always friendly and more personal and they actually seem grateful that you shop there... I highly recommend Rob's RC Hobbies...
Old 08-27-2008, 06:18 AM   #30
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by CE28N View Post
I was actually interested in buying an RB-5 last weekend and ultimate hobbies was on the way to my friend's place so I stopped there. The guy I talked to behind the counter said that "Kyosho is probably gearing up for the release of the new 1/8th gas car (MP9) so they probably aren't shipping those out". What??
I'm not thrilled with the new Ultimate Hobbies either. Their arrogance and the poor manner in which they treat their customers has compelled me to buy elsewhere. I mostly use A-Main Hobbies now. Ultimate seems to not care about the racing market as much, so they don't stock the cars and parts as much as they have in the past. I've walked out of there empty handed too many times because they just don't have what I need. They have tons of T-Maxx and Savage parts, but they have minimal stock on the racing stuff. I just got tired of being treated like they're doing me a favor every time I buy from them. I don't expect them to fan me and feed me grapes when I walk in the shop, but I don't even get the sense that they have the slightest interest in helping me in ANY way. BTW, I confirmed that Kyosho America has the RB5 in stock - they have for a while. Maybe the douche nozzle behind the counter could offer to order one for you?!
rcg33k is offline   Reply With Quote