Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Another 1/10 indoor offroad track in SoCal! >

Another 1/10 indoor offroad track in SoCal!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another 1/10 indoor offroad track in SoCal!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 12:08 AM
Tech Rookie

I think that an LA based Onroad/Offraod track would be best! Probably in the 12,000 ft range. That should accomodate big enough tracks to be fun and enough room for pits.

As far as competing against OCRC, I think that they would coexist quite nicely. I think that if they had opposing scheduled then there would always be a raceday in Sothhern cali that was out in the boondocks, i.e Pegasus and Rev. As was stated above by snother member they coexist very nicely and are pretty close together.

It might be nice to have regulars at each track compete in a traveling series with each other also. Maybe this new track and OCRC could get a cross track league going.

Plus with the onroad there will be plenty of faces for that, I think. I don't know of an onroad course anywhere around and have always wanted to dabble in that aspect as well.

Any other opinions?

I look forward to seeung how this works out.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JeromeK99
The only off-road LA county track I can remember in the nearly 2 decades I've been running was "The Race Place" in the industrial part of Santa Fe Springs.. and that was around 15 or so years ago...
OMG Jerome, I used to go to "The Race Place" all the time when I was kid! I raced there consistently as a kid (I even started to strictly go for racing and never for open-practice days)... I miss that track, it was one of the most exciting off-road track. I was pretty involved back then too, I was one of the "shovel crew" that used to pound the track flat after it got torn up between qualifiers and main! I even have some of TRP Race-bucks... I miss that track so much...
Old 07-21-2008, 04:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)

I think OCRC is the best Offroad facility I have seen. No need to waste your money and compete. Having too many tracks will kill the competition and is not good for our hobby.

I would vote for an indoor on road track with Carpet,Asphalt, Minis,Oval.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:48 PM
Tech Adept

i would let ocrc take care of the 1/10 off road ..that place is very nice and opening up another offroad track will just kill both tracks especialy the way the economy is right know,,i would look more into opening a facility where you can have a nice indoor on road and a nice size 1/8 scale off road track outside i would luv a 1/8 gas track located at the beach somewhere with pittng inside along with the onroad track...
Old 07-21-2008, 11:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up Thank you for your responses, I really do appreciate them.

The track I want to build is one I want you to build. I hope you don't feel like I'm another person who said that there will be a track opening soon and never came through. My hobby is racing 1/10 scale offroad and that's where it will stop. The goal is to build an offroad track that is 5000 - 6000 sqf. which should be able to run 1/10 scale and 1/8 scale alike. There is the possibility of having one night a week of indoor gas racing which will be up to city regulations and requirements.

As for onroad, the plan is to have a 4000-5000 sqf. asphalt flat road course indoor as well. (Sorry no oval racing.) I feel there is definitely a need for onroad since there isn't an adequate amount of racing availability.

I do want to flip flop the scheduling with other racetracks a bit.

Monday - Practice
Tuesday - Offroad racing at 7pm
Wednesday - Onroad racing at 7pm
Thursday - Practice
Friday - Offroad racing at 7pm
Saturday - Onroad racing at 7pm
Sunday - Offroad racing at 3 or 4 pm

This schedule is not set yet and would love to hear or read your input. I want people to know that it is very important to me for your honest opinion about what is going to happen at this track. I will say this though, there will be an indoor offroad track and an indoor onroad track as well. During the construction of our new track, I will advise you of what is going on and give you the chance to come by and see it for yourself. If you would like to give a helping hand we would greatly appreciate it.

Please tell me where you would like to see the track. For my personal preference I don't want to be further than 20 miles from Lakewood, it could be north, south, east, or west. Also tell me what amenities you would like to see there. I.e. snack shop, personal pits, type of dirt, or just colors on the wall.

Thank You Again Very Much From All Of Us On This Side.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnny_Boy79
As far as competing against OCRC, I think that they would coexist quite nicely. I think that if they had opposing scheduled then there would always be a raceday in Sothhern cali that was out in the boondocks, i.e Pegasus and Rev.
Montclair is in "the boondocks"? Just because you don't live near Montclair, doesn't mean it's in the boonies. I would encourage you to look at a map every once in a while.

I think that being located near to a huge military ammo dump is a good indicator that you're approaching the boonies. Barstow and Bolsa Chica come to mind...
Old 07-22-2008, 09:37 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by sponsorthis
The track I want to build is one I want you to build. I hope you don't feel like I'm another person who said that there will be a track opening soon and never came through. My hobby is racing 1/10 scale offroad and that's where it will stop. The goal is to build an offroad track that is 5000 - 6000 sqf. which should be able to run 1/10 scale and 1/8 scale alike. There is the possibility of having one night a week of indoor gas racing which will be up to city regulations and requirements.

As for onroad, the plan is to have a 4000-5000 sqf. asphalt flat road course indoor as well. (Sorry no oval racing.) I feel there is definitely a need for onroad since there isn't an adequate amount of racing availability.

I do want to flip flop the scheduling with other racetracks a bit.

Monday - Practice
Tuesday - Offroad racing at 7pm
Wednesday - Onroad racing at 7pm
Thursday - Practice
Friday - Offroad racing at 7pm
Saturday - Onroad racing at 7pm
Sunday - Offroad racing at 3 or 4 pm

This schedule is not set yet and would love to hear or read your input. I want people to know that it is very important to me for your honest opinion about what is going to happen at this track. I will say this though, there will be an indoor offroad track and an indoor onroad track as well. During the construction of our new track, I will advise you of what is going on and give you the chance to come by and see it for yourself. If you would like to give a helping hand we would greatly appreciate it.

Please tell me where you would like to see the track. For my personal preference I don't want to be further than 20 miles from Lakewood, it could be north, south, east, or west. Also tell me what amenities you would like to see there. I.e. snack shop, personal pits, type of dirt, or just colors on the wall.

Thank You Again Very Much From All Of Us On This Side.
I wouldn't mind another track near me I think it could only help the industry however please carefully conceder the following:

My facility is 14,000 SF with a 4,675sf track and 130 pit spots, if your thinking of off and on road as described you should be looking into a building at least 18,000 SF. Even in a lower rent district you will be at about 15K per month rent +++ all the other expenses. It was very expensive to build my facility and expensive to keep the doors open at $15.00 a head to race.

OC/RC is not a source of income for me, I have a day job...
and even with the great turn outs I have been getting
(200 entries per week racing) I'm breaking even at best.

I opened this facility because Its something I enjoy and financially I was able to do, not to make $$$

I would be more then willing to help you with whatever advice you may need to start your venture and I look forward to seeing what the future hold for us R/C geeks!

Have a great day!

RB
OC/RC Raceway
Old 07-22-2008, 11:50 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Another track would be cool in LA or OC and even better if you would run 8 th scale gas that would be the way to go. just my opinion
Old 07-22-2008, 12:06 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Thank You Again.

Sosa, would you like to see a track in carson/torrance/long beach area or more east as in oc. Do you think there is an r/c community in redondo.

Thanks again
Old 07-22-2008, 12:43 PM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up Thank you RB

I really do appreciate your opinion about the future investment and would greatly appreciate your help. Your great track and the one I wish to invest in would only help the r/c community greatly. There could be tournaments between the tracks and series races such as Johnny_Boy79 had implemented. My goal is not to step on anybodies toes, it's to help the hobby. If it weren't for OCRC our hobby would have evaporated due to the lack of track availability. I also think Hot Rod Hobbies is an awesome track but by the time I get there from OC I've wasted more money on gas than I would have spent racing. There is plenty of real estate between Hot Rod and OCRC for all the tracks to do well. When our track opens, all the owners of Hot Rod, OCRC, Pegasus, and other racetracks should get together and strategize about having great long series race such as the JBRL race which is always competitive and fun. I also feel that with the demise of R/C in the last 5 to 10 years we have lost many racers due to lack of professional r/c track availability and sponsorship issues. For everyone to strive forward the owners can't do it alone we need good attendance and our sponsors to come threw and help in any way. RB, when things start coming together I would like to sit down and speak with you in person at your track about how we can attract more people and avoid conflicts. I’ve been in the industry for over 12 years and also have my other business. I look forward to becoming allies in this industry and striving together to help the R/C community and building new relationship with people.

P.S. There will always be a pit spot available for any and all of the OCRC family at our racetrack.

Thanks Again
Old 07-22-2008, 12:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by robertbl
...$15.00 a head to race.

OC/RC is not a source of income for me, I have a day job...
and even with the great turn outs I have been getting
(200 entries per week racing) I'm breaking even at best.
200 entries/week * 4week/month * $15/entry = $12,000, breaking even indeed...

Robert is right, I think if your aim is to profit from it, it would be the hard way to make money...

I for one am thankful for someone like Robert to come along and open up an off road track. My BJ4WE was collecting dust since SoCal closed...

Another off-road track would be quite welcome, it would be like the old days when there were multiple tracks not far apart from each other...

I live in the South Bay area, so having another track near Lakewood or in the OC would be pretty cool... Just hope there are enough racers to keep both places busy... Hmmm, need more exposures at LHS around the area and attract more RTR crowds...
Old 07-22-2008, 05:35 PM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up Thanks for your comments tom_chang79.

Right now were looking into the demographics and it seems that the cities with the highest chance are Carson, Signal Hill, Garden Grove, Anaheim, Cerritos, and Paramount. I'm looking at 14 location tomorrow and 9 on Thursday. I will keep everybody posted to what is going on and once again thank you for your support and comments.

Note: I will not be doing this as a business that will make me a living! This is merely my hobby and like RB said it would be more for fun and allow the hobby to grow further. Only thing I would ask of it is to break even every month, that’s all. I believe that the competition is healthy and there are more than enough R/C racers to keep both tracks open and happy. People who walk through our door for the first time will also learn about OCRC and attend their club races. I have no desire to compete with OCRC or bad talk them, I believe RB has done a great job there and would only recommend them to our customers. The relationship between both tracks will grow without any remorse or hard feeling.

Thanks Again, Keep Commenting.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:40 PM
Tech Elite

How north can you go? The SGV needs a track!
Old 07-22-2008, 06:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sponsorthis
Right now were looking into the demographics and it seems that the cities with the highest chance are Carson, Signal Hill, Garden Grove, Anaheim, Cerritos, and Paramount. I'm looking at 14 location tomorrow and 9 on Thursday. I will keep everybody posted to what is going on and once again thank you for your support and comments.
Whatever is closest to Palm Springs!!!!
Old 07-22-2008, 07:25 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by stitchy
How north can you go? The SGV needs a track!
+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.