R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-17-2008, 09:44 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Default 4wd Buggy Brushed Motor Selection Help

I have been out of the R/C hobby for about 3 years. My previous experience has been with nitro, but this time around I am trying to learn about electrics. I just ordered a 4wd Buggy but Im trying to figure out what makes for a good brushed (ill worry about brushless later down the road ) 4WD buggy motor. Is there anything specific to look for as far as turns, assembly, etc? What differentiates a buggy motor from an, touring car motor, or from a truck motor for that matter, if anything? I may have asked the same question in two different ways, but any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated because at this point im fairly confused.

Thanks
TexasPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:51 AM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

What buggy are you getting, how much do you want to spend
Old 07-17-2008, 10:06 AM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Is this for competition at the track or to bash with ?
Old 07-17-2008, 10:11 AM   #4
Tech Adept

I'm getting the HB Cyclone D4. As much as I would like to say money is no object, with todays gas prices it certainly is, so Im thinking $75 or less. I'm a pro by no means. I mostly bashed with my nitros, but this time around I want to actually learn to steer a track, and maybe race competitively....or at least be able to beat my buddy!!
Old 07-17-2008, 10:14 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BillyCaldwell

For brushed, go with a checkpoint based brushed motor. They have good power, and the least amount of maintenance of any brushed mod I have ran.

If all possible though, go brushless or get a brushless esc that will do brushless and brush modes. Then you can get a brushless motor down the road without having to replace the esc.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:15 AM   #6
Tech Adept

RB5 Eventually i wold like to be competitive but i really need to improve my driving skills first...as i mentioned earlier I am a former basher...i am trying to be a racer now.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:19 AM   #7
Tech Adept

Billy, thanks for the input. I have my sights set on an associated brushed and brushless ESC. I actually have a checkpoint motor already in my shopping cart at tower, but that is strictly because they said it was good for 4wd buggies. And that is what lead to my question...I only found two motors that specifically said they were meant for 4wd buggies but i assume other motors would be good even though they dont mention it...or is this a dumb assumption from a newbie????
Old 07-17-2008, 11:03 AM   #8
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPete View Post
Billy, thanks for the input. I have my sights set on an associated brushed and brushless ESC. I actually have a checkpoint motor already in my shopping cart at tower, but that is strictly because they said it was good for 4wd buggies. And that is what lead to my question...I only found two motors that specifically said they were meant for 4wd buggies but i assume other motors would be good even though they dont mention it...or is this a dumb assumption from a newbie????
Ok, How big is your track. Big outdoor or smaller indoor ?
Old 07-17-2008, 11:39 AM   #9
Tech Adept

RB 5 - The only track i know about is an outdoor track (but i havent been there in 3 years so Im not positive it still exists), but i dont have enough experience around tracks to tell you if its big or not. My buddy and I are contemplating building a makeshift track on some empty land. All that to say its definitely going to be outdoors but i cant give you an educated opinion on the size.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:53 AM   #10
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPete View Post
RB 5 - The only track i know about is an outdoor track (but i havent been there in 3 years so Im not positive it still exists), but i dont have enough experience around tracks to tell you if its big or not. My buddy and I are contemplating building a makeshift track on some empty land. All that to say its definitely going to be outdoors but i cant give you an educated opinion on the size.
I would start with like a 15 or 14 turn motor. It will be pretty fast.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:45 PM   #11
Tech Adept

RB 5 - Thanks for the input. I was looking at a 13t initially, but moved down to an 11t as i began to get more and more confused.

So is there no real difference between a motor that would be used for touring cars, 2WD buggies, and 4wd buggies????
Old 07-17-2008, 02:31 PM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to RC Dad

I like 10-12T double winds in 4WD on a medium-sized track. Those same motors would be almost unusable in 2WD here due to traction issues on our dusty clay. Never ran TC, so can't say what would be good there. Single winds and low turns are good for high-speed tracks and oval racing where high RPM's are sustainable.

Like you I like to look for motors that specify a particular use in their description. Mostly 9-11Ts are listed for 4WD buggy but IMO 9T is a little too hot (both power and temp) in ours. It's hard to go wrong with what's recommended although we've tried everything from 9-27T over the years in a variety of chassis both on-road and off just to see what happened.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:06 PM   #13
Tech Adept

RC Dad - Thanks for that input. So choosing a motor is a function of not just the vehicle type but the track you are going to run on. In your opinion, if I go with an 11T double wind motor, assuming I learn how to become a decent driver, I could be competitive with that on most outdoor tracks without having to reinvest immediately???
Old 07-17-2008, 08:00 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I'll second what someone else said and tell you that you can't go wrong with a Checkpoint for a brushed motor. I run a Tebo 4wd 9T in my B44 and love it. It's a heckuva lot of motor, last time they had a radar gun on us down the straights I was hitting the same speed as the 1/8 and truggies on the back straight before we all had to shut down for the corner. But, the tracks we have here are good sized and really set up for 1/8 so it works well. I ran it on a 1/10 only track a few months back and it was a handful, if we had raced 4wd that day I would have geared it down. If your indoor track is tight, I'm guessing a 11 x 2 Checkpoint would be about right. That's what I run in my T4 and it's still quite a bit of motor. As far as the motors being meant for TC, offroad, 4wd, etc. try to stay with something thats says offroad. Sometimes the arms, brushes, etc. are different and you'll usually have softer brushes (and longer comm life) from an offroad motor.
cjtamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:04 PM   #15
Tech Initiate

Checkpoint And Team Brood Motors are really good motors.

Brood is what i run with and they are very very good to me and you can push them........not that you might want to do that

www.Stivesrccc.com
AZZA95 is offline   Reply With Quote