R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-19-2008, 02:32 PM   #31
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (93%+)

yup them sidewinder are pretty nice i had one in a xxx4 on a smaller inside track and it was fast i had to turn it down a little but the price and peformace is very good and not heard of that many people having problems with them and when they do castle is very good and they are in the usa
afish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 10:27 AM   #32
Tech Adept

afish - so it is possible to reduce throttle to 80% or 50% with a sidewinder ESC? I see where you can do that with reverse in the instructions, but i dont see where you can do it with forward. just want to make sure before i order this thing.
TexasPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 05:37 PM   #33
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPete View Post
afish - so it is possible to reduce throttle to 80% or 50% with a sidewinder ESC? I see where you can do that with reverse in the instructions, but i dont see where you can do it with forward. just want to make sure before i order this thing.
You turn the throttle EPA down on your radio. It will prevent full throttle of the motor, although it might alter the actual power curve of the motor. If you are racing you really can't beat LRP Sphere Comp. Seen them all and it really is the smoothest, easiest throttle ESC around.

Tamiya 419x/Associated TC7.1/Sanwa M12s/Xpert servos
d16dcoe45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 05:50 PM   #34
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

TexasPete, if you want to try some modified (brushed) motor but not spend close to the price of a brushless (I mean, why not get a brushless if the brushed is the same price), I suggest try the Team Orion SV2 machine mod motors.

I have a 19x1 and it's always been solid for me. Yesterday, I was in need of a lower turn motor, so I quickly picked up a 13x2, same SV2 series, motor. This motor was quite punchy, enough to carry me through the entire day. It was quite smooth and I had no problem or issues with it...

You can find Team Orion SV2s for less then $30... I suggest get a 13T to 15T for your RB5, I think 13T is plenty of power for a 2WD...
Old 07-20-2008, 06:00 PM   #35
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by d16dcoe45 View Post
You turn the throttle EPA down on your radio. It will prevent full throttle of the motor, although it might alter the actual power curve of the motor. If you are racing you really can't beat LRP Sphere Comp. Seen them all and it really is the smoothest, easiest throttle ESC around.
Man those LRP Spheres come with a hefty price tag relatively speaking. THis may sound like a silly question but can you explain what you mean when you say the LRP is smoother and easier.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:09 PM   #36
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_chang79 View Post
TexasPete, if you want to try some modified (brushed) motor but not spend close to the price of a brushless (I mean, why not get a brushless if the brushed is the same price), I suggest try the Team Orion SV2 machine mod motors.

I have a 19x1 and it's always been solid for me. Yesterday, I was in need of a lower turn motor, so I quickly picked up a 13x2, same SV2 series, motor. This motor was quite punchy, enough to carry me through the entire day. It was quite smooth and I had no problem or issues with it...

You can find Team Orion SV2s for less then $30... I suggest get a 13T to 15T for your RB5, I think 13T is plenty of power for a 2WD...
Over the course of this thread I have decided to skip the brushed motors all together. Im going to pay a little extra extra money for a decent brushed system and i wont have to worry about all the maintenance hassles. Just seems like the most sensible thing to do.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:55 PM   #37
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Pete, sorry I thought you were locked in on brushed motors 'cause you had a speedo already. If you're buying all new, go with brushless, it's the only way to go. I'm still running brushed b/c I have a ton of brushed motors and speedos and there's just not much electric racing here right now, but I'll switch eventually. Don't skimp when you buy speedo/motor combo if you're going to race. look for a good deal on the LRP or Novak speedo/motor combo.
cjtamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:42 AM   #38
Tech Adept

Cjtamu - Well originally i was locked in on brushed, but after i got a much better education I realized i just didnt want to deal with the hassles of a brushed motor and it just wasnt going to save me that much money if any relly.

Ive heard nothing but good about LRP's but i have seen some bad things posted about Novaks. I ultimately decided on CC sidewinder/5700kv combo. It seemed like the best combo for price and performance from what i have read.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:34 PM   #39
Tech Adept

cjtamu - where do you race at in your area? Ill be near your neck of the woods in a few weeks.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:50 PM   #40
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Cjtamu - Well originally i was locked in on brushed, but after i got a much better education I realized i just didnt want to deal with the hassles of a brushed motor and it just wasnt going to save me that much money if any relly.

Ive heard nothing but good about LRP's but i have seen some bad things posted about Novaks. I ultimately decided on CC sidewinder/5700kv combo. It seemed like the best combo for price and performance from what i have read.
The sidewinder is good for now. Once you start learning how to race you will want a sphere or something at that caliber...
They are all not the same. The ESC can make or break the way your buggy drives. I use alittle drag brake settings, intial brake settings, and punch. The aare just as important as the chassis set-up.

now in terms of smooth throttle thats what it is. when you ease on the throttle out of a turn it's smooth.... not pulse like or steppy. Gives you the utmost control. Especially under braking.

In time though. get your feet wet with the sidewinder and when you get really good after lots a practice explore the more expensive options.

Practice practice practice..... on the track of course. slow is fast.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:34 PM   #41
Tech Adept

RB Five - Is the Mamba max considered to be on the same level as the LRP Sphere? Is that what you use?
Old 07-29-2008, 09:27 PM   #42
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
RB Five - Is the Mamba max considered to be on the same level as the LRP Sphere? Is that what you use?
here it comes.....

Tamiya 419x/Associated TC7.1/Sanwa M12s/Xpert servos
d16dcoe45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:59 PM   #43
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by d16dcoe45 View Post
here it comes.....

LOL... Honesty... before everybody chimes in.. Bottom line.. They work...

There are several racing at our track and no probs... Lots of LRPs too..they seem to be the least problematic... I love my Novak GTB when it's not blowing purple smoke! lol... (popped twice in 6 months..) makes me sad.. I've been a loyal Novak user for over 15 years!

Jerome
JeromeK99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:09 AM   #44
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
I would be inclined to say no it's not as good as the sphere but the mamba max isn't bad. I would be alittle bias cause i have 3 spheres and they serve me very well. Mamba max should be a bit better then a sidewinder.

I would strongly recommend a lrp sphere comp for sure though.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:22 PM   #45
Tech Adept

Jerome - Ive noticed a lot of people mentioning issues with the Novaks. Most folks are generally hap except for this mishap or that mishap. Never read any complaints from Mamba max users, sidewinder users, or LRP Sphere users.

RB Five - What are your programability options with the LRP Sphere? I havent found much detailed information on it. Can you program it with your computer? Many people say that the LRP's are better then the CC stuff, but no definite reasons. What is your justification behind your preference, if any? (Sometimes I prefer stuff cause its shinier! LMAO)

Last edited by TexasPete; 07-30-2008 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Dont need one!