R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-16-2008, 06:34 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Default CC Mamba Max Help!

I just bought a Castle Creation Mamba Max 5700 system. It has been very easy to use and makes a ton of power but I am having problems with the voltage cutoff.

I am running lipos and set the cutoff at 6.4 but it never cutoff and my pack got very close to being totaly dead. (Luckly it is fine)

I then set it to 6.6 and to test it ran a 3600mah NiMH stick pack. It did finaly cutoff but not until the truck was almost crawling.

Is this normal? What do others set the cutoff at for a 2 cell lipo?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Lockhart
Stallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:05 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Im using the Auto-lipo cut off. Ive also been told if you drained a lipo far enough to be crawling....it isnt any good anymore. but that just what ive been told.
Brooksphotodesign.net
Flying Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:05 PM   #3
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stallard View Post
I just bought a Castle Creation Mamba Max 5700 system. It has been very easy to use and makes a ton of power but I am having problems with the voltage cutoff.

I am running lipos and set the cutoff at 6.4 but it never cutoff and my pack got very close to being totaly dead. (Luckly it is fine)

I then set it to 6.6 and to test it ran a 3600mah NiMH stick pack. It did finaly cutoff but not until the truck was almost crawling.

Is this normal? What do others set the cutoff at for a 2 cell lipo?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Lockhart
I don't use the voltage cutoff. From what I heard from others you shouldn't depend on a voltage cutoff from any company. Better to check it ever so often to see where your at.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:13 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Have you updated to the latest firmware version via CastleLink? The download is on Castle's website.
shurcooL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:25 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
I don't use the voltage cutoff. From what I heard from others you shouldn't depend on a voltage cutoff from any company. Better to check it ever so often to see where your at.
WOW

Hope that's not true!!

One of the reasons I bought the MM was because of the custom voltage cutoff. I bash very little, so I have never worried about a cutoff but I can't seem to stop running my slash

I have used lipo cutoff in CC and other's air ESCs for years, I guess the constant on and off of a car esc could make getting an accurate read on batt. voltage hard?

Thanks for the input.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:27 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shurcooL View Post
Have you updated to the latest firmware version via CastleLink? The download is on Castle's website.
Thanks

Sure did, I was very impressed by how easy all the software is to hook up and use, sure beats the blinking lights and tones
Old 07-17-2008, 03:00 AM   #7
Tech Rookie

Hi im interested in getting the mamba max system too. Would like to know if you have experienced any cogging since the latest firmware update?

Quote:
Thanks

Sure did, I was very impressed by how easy all the software is to hook up and use, sure beats the blinking lights and tones
meowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 03:43 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

They fixed the cogging. Only happens on my crappier batteries probably because i'm running a 9000kv motor.

http://stivesrc.org.au/
Bugle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 04:12 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

How old is your Mamba Max?
What type of batteries are you using?
You do have castle link correct?
So you can see on the screen that the setting are correct, Right?
are their any loose wires or bad solder joints?
Some of the older mambas had firmware problems, But if you updated the esc you should be good.
Hum....
This is all I can think of. maybe someone with more castle knowledge will find the thread.
good luck.
tdeal823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:08 AM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

My two Mamba's seem to just cut power delivery to motor instead of totally "cutting out" or becoming inoperable. The esc almost acts like it tries to keep battery voltage above to set cut off while still remaining operable. I'm sure if the vehicle was driven enough at this reduced output the vehicle would eventually go into full "cut off" though.
JLinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:46 AM   #11
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Quote:
WOW

Hope that's not true!!

One of the reasons I bought the MM was because of the custom voltage cutoff. I bash very little, so I have never worried about a cutoff but I can't seem to stop running my slash

I have used lipo cutoff in CC and other's air ESCs for years, I guess the constant on and off of a car esc could make getting an accurate read on batt. voltage hard?

Thanks for the input.
The other thing you could try is setting it around 7volts just to see if it cuts off for you and how it feels when it cuts off. This way your safe and no chance of hurting your lipo.

I feel you pain with the Slash. I run are shop demo Slash with the 7700kv MM and it is alot of fun!!!!!!!!
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:56 AM   #12
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowdog View Post
Hi im interested in getting the mamba max system too. Would like to know if you have experienced any cogging since the latest firmware update?
I have ran a assortment of batteries in mine, 2 cell lipo, 1700mah NiCd, 3600 NiMH and have had no cogging what so ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdeal823 View Post
How old is your Mamba Max? It is now 6 days old
What type of batteries are you using? Mostly Trakpower 4900mah lipos.
You do have castle link correct? Sure do, it has been easy to use.
So you can see on the screen that the setting are correct, Right? Correct
are their any loose wires or bad solder joints? Checked all connections
Some of the older mambas had firmware problems, But if you updated the esc you should be good.
Hum....
This is all I can think of. maybe someone with more castle knowledge will find the thread.
good luck.

Thanks for all your help, more input is appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLinney View Post
My two Mamba's seem to just cut power delivery to motor instead of totally "cutting out" or becoming inoperable. The esc almost acts like it tries to keep battery voltage above to set cut off while still remaining operable. I'm sure if the vehicle was driven enough at this reduced output the vehicle would eventually go into full "cut off" though.
I kind of felt that with my NiMH test but with my lipo it drove like a raped ape until I finaly quit, when I checked the lipo on my balancer I got a low voltage error, so I checked it with my digital meter and it was 6.06V.

I am going to keep tyring higher and higher cuttoffs, hopefully I will find one that works?

Thanks for everyones help.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:26 AM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Usually you set your cutoff at 6V for a two cell lipo. You can take them down to 2.5 a cell with a hard cut but 3v a cell is safer. Try setting the voltage cut a 6v and monitor the battery and see if it goes into cut. The problem might lie with the way the lipo battery discharges. The voltage curve of a lipo stays pretty flat until you reach a certain voltage and it really falls off fast. Also, update your firmware and see if that fixes the problem. I have had updates that did not fully take using the castlelink in the past.
Associated TC7.1
Durango DESC410V2 Pro
sport10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:33 AM   #14
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

+1, Better be safe than sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
Old 07-17-2008, 11:41 AM   #15
Tech Regular

How does *not* using a built-in Lipo safety measure make you safer from damaging your Lipos?
shurcooL is offline   Reply With Quote