Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Please help by suggesting a platform for 1/8 BL project. >

Please help by suggesting a platform for 1/8 BL project.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please help by suggesting a platform for 1/8 BL project.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 11:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)
Default Please help by suggesting a platform for 1/8 BL project.

Well as the title states I am starting a new project, 1/8 Buggy BL lipo or a123 batteries. I was going to buy the Monster max for the esc, and already have a spektrum radio/rec for it.

My question is what platform to use. I want something very strong and durable. I have seen some pretty impressive conversions on the Hyper 7 and I can get one pretty cheap on ebay for a roller. To be honest I know NOTHING about 1/8 scale and I am worried about part support on such a old buggy or are they interchangeable with the hyper 8. Or should I just buy the hyper 8 pro. I have only been looking at these because people have posted that they are "like tanks." I know you guys know your stuff on the 1/8 scale so I am open to suggestions on all buggies. I currently run 1/10 with BL lipo and break stuff all the time. I am looking for something that has a drive train that will hold up and parts that are known for being sturdy.

Thanks for the help guys. Oh yea strictly for play...there are no tracks around me anymore.
Paul
Old 07-16-2008, 11:51 AM
Tech Regular

Let me begin by saying I have very little experience in this, but it seems that Losi 8ight and Associated RC8 are both very good top-end choices.

You can get the RCPD kit for them (needed to mount the motor and batteries), and the rest you already have/mentioned.

I'm not too sure about Ofna's buggies, but it seems they are also quite decent but much cheaper alternatives.

P.S. Personally, I've got a new Losi 8ight roller sitting that I want to convert, but due to the whole Monster Mamba fiasco I'm waiting a little while longer before I go through with the conversion.

Last edited by shurcooL; 07-16-2008 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:32 PM
Tech Elite

If a new kit is in the budget a Hyper 8.5 is their latest, coming soon a Hyper 9.

If parts are needed i dont think much problem will arise, there are thousand's of the hyper 7's around.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

if you are loking for a rock solid buggy, go with a Mugen mbx5r, I planned on doing the conversion to my mbx5t when the motor blows and it is staying togehter well and never really breaks...novak has the conversion for the mbx5r I believe so it wouldnt take much...
Old 07-16-2008, 02:40 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I would say most of the 1/8 scale buggies stay together quite well.

I had an MBX5 with R parts and it was quite durable. its alittle more expensive to convert as you need a kyosho diff if you want to do the center plastic spur gear which alot of people do, but it worked quite well. Only other complaint is the battery hangs more to the side than other kits from RCPD, but he is working on changing that.

I have the RC8-E now, and I love it. Its amazing how it handles even with a bigger battery like the RCLipos PolyRC 6000mah battery.

I would say for the money though, a Losi 8ight conversion is pretty cheap, and looks very factory.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Losi 8ight-T HANDS DOWN, with a Monster Max and a TeknoR/C NEU(or a Medusa)! They dont get any cleaner than this:

Old 07-16-2008, 03:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Wow that looks sick...I just caught the drool dripping off my chin. Are you sure that's not a shelf queen? Lol, just kidding it looks like absolutely beautiful set-up you have...what conversion did you use to convert to electric. So you recommend going with the truggy instead? does it weigh a lot more than the buggy. Thanks for all the support guys.

Last edited by Paul Whalen; 07-16-2008 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Thats not mine. I'm droolin with ya bro, cause that thing there is sanitary! I'm sure it weighs a little more than the buggy but the 8ights are super light to begin with. I've thought about getting in to 1/8 scale electric, but with my luck just as soon as I drop $1500 in to a conversion they will come out with 1/8 scale electric specific kits.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:23 PM
Tech Regular

Here's a picture of an Associated RC8 with RCPD conversion kit, MMM, and Neu 2.5D/F, just for your reference (not mine).