Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Tamiya DF-03 type >

Tamiya DF-03 type

Tamiya DF-03 type

Old 09-27-2012, 11:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by valk View Post
alright. so having hacked away at the rear most aluminum bulkhead of the 3racing conversion to make standard lipos fit, finding out my d3 7.5 is a no go unless i either cut into that bulkhead even more to make room for the posts, or cut the transmission case support up top to make room for it. or make new holes in the motor mount.

are there any recommended motors for use with this car? i might buy a new one to live in it. something in a 6.5 range.
I`ve used Novak Ballistic 8.5, Novak HV 550 5.5, Hobbywing Ezrun 8.5 and Turnigy 8.5 in my DF03. The soldertabs pointing 10 o`clock seen from the left of the car.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:51 PM
Tech Initiate

With my GM Racing Dr Speed 7T delta (8700kv, equiv. 4.5T), i break the drivetrain each and every two packs, on a 2S 25C 4200 Lipo (Team Orion).

I'm in a need of a lower kv motor
Old 09-27-2012, 05:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

bah. was really hoping my 7.5 would fit but solder board is way far forward. ill have to cut the blue bulkhead, or cut the rear transmission case to mak eit work. but before that ill chuck my reedy 13.5 in there to see if it fits. quite happy with those motors so far.
a 550 is a good option, but im pretty sure it would rape my rspro.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I'm running a Speed Passion V3.0 10.5 with the bullet power wires so you dont have to trim . I also tossed the front body mounts in favor of velcro on the sides of the chassis and I cut the battery box where the body mounts were so I can run good lipos. I have Losi xxx shocks on mine and it drives GREAT!!! I love it
Old 10-31-2012, 11:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Yeah, if this car was running on Euro style tracks and some of the faster tracks, this car rocks. The center of gravity is kept as close to the chassis, so the weight shifting is more akin to a 2wd but with 4wd grip!

However, one thing to watch out for, is the rear shock tower. I've had mine crack a few times, am almost tempted to just model it and have it sent out for an aluminum fab. I have almost every single mod done to it to strengthen the car, but there are still a few achilles heel:

1) Front top brace (behind the front transmission) seems to always crack on me

2) The rear shock tower eventually stresses and cracks on me

I've been contemplating on trying to design the transmission and the drive train like DF-03 but to adapt it to my B44. I wish Tamiya would be more serious into the DF series of buggies, this design had a lot of potential, it was only their choice of materials that were really flawed. The design was near perfect (except for a few geometric flaws in the shock action and the arm travel where it would pop the CVD/UDS out of the outdrives).

I still love my car, it's currently a shelf queen, but when I do get off my lazy butt to start designing RC cars, this definitely serves as an inspiration as how a 4wd can be designed. I being drooling over the Durango, but the DF-03 still beats the whole center of gravity category...
Old 11-01-2012, 08:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

mine is a shelf queen as well. just too damn purdy to put on a track!
Old 11-01-2012, 07:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mjderstine View Post
mine is a shelf queen as well. just too damn purdy to put on a track!
I see you have the carbon chassis....do you recommend it? Mine is pretty much stock besides the shocks (didn't have the original shocks when I got it). I still need an original body also, I'm running a b4.1 body on mine .

I just started driving it, and broke the front pivot. The shock mounts seem pretty flexible also. Other than that, it is equal to or better (as far as handling) than anything I've driven...absolutely DIALED! Can't wait til my parts come in so I can put it back together and start racing it!!!
Old 11-02-2012, 07:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TravisS27 View Post
I see you have the carbon chassis....do you recommend it? Mine is pretty much stock besides the shocks (didn't have the original shocks when I got it). I still need an original body also, I'm running a b4.1 body on mine .

I just started driving it, and broke the front pivot. The shock mounts seem pretty flexible also. Other than that, it is equal to or better (as far as handling) than anything I've driven...absolutely DIALED! Can't wait til my parts come in so I can put it back together and start racing it!!!
if you can find the carbon chassis i'd get it. i ihave the one from Kawada, pretty sure that one is not available anymore. but the 3racing one might be.

just helps stiffen the whole thing up. i drove it for a couple pretty hard hours on a 1/8 scale track with some huge jumps and it seemed to do just fine.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:48 AM
Tech Regular

My latest DF03.
Five star shaft, KMC carbon chassis, Team Durango dampers, made a rod to support the gearbox mount for the rear tower. Working good so far.
Weight ready to run is under 1600g.
Wheels just for the pic..
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya DF-03 type-018.jpg  
Old 11-11-2014, 01:29 PM
Tech Regular

anyone seen 3Racing DF03-20/WO, it's out of stuck everywhere or they say it's in stock but refund you when they realize they don't have it. Or similar part to brace the front hinge pins, so tired of the B1 part ripping apart.

Got the T-Bone bumper brace, hope that helps a little.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:34 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by torg View Post
anyone seen 3Racing DF03-20/WO, it's out of stuck everywhere or they say it's in stock but refund you when they realize they don't have it. Or similar part to brace the front hinge pins, so tired of the B1 part ripping apart.

Got the T-Bone bumper brace, hope that helps a little.

GPM makes an alloy lower gearbox Mount.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:47 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ridgeracer View Post
GPM makes an alloy lower gearbox Mount.
I found one on ebay. Might still need a brace for the pins. Not sure if GPM alloy is strong or not.. Guess I'll find out.

tusen takk!

-torgeir
Old 06-25-2015, 06:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

hello all i have a avante mk ii it has blue alum threaded shocks, any idea of brand? top shock loop is broke and cant find brand to replace it
Old 01-17-2016, 09:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I'm bringing my Dark Impact back from the grave this week with a replacement chassis.

Just serviced my wife's old DF-02 so that will run too.

They haven't been run in years but I remember them being fun kits, especially the Dark Impact.