Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Tamiya DF-03 type >

Tamiya DF-03 type

Tamiya DF-03 type

Old 10-21-2010, 05:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by joeling View Post
Can anyone point out for me which universals will fit the DF-03 Rally edition ? I heard that some of the ones for Tamiya touring cars will fit but not sure which model thanks.

Regards,
Joe Ling
I have TT01 universals in mine.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:56 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by FatBattery View Post
bummpy My df03 dreams are still alive. I have a big box of parts ready to add. I will post picks when I am done. Does anyone know where I can find the longer 7cell (I think) tub chassis. I saw it once but I cant find it now I want to buy it . Prolly will have to buy the c/f though I am having trouble finding the $80 one in stock now too. As a matter of interest here is a cool body kit I am buying.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Team-AZARASHI-AZ...item2a0aac19f1
http://thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_deta...=DARK%20IMPACT
Old 10-21-2010, 10:11 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

anyone had problems with brushless power - causing a snapping/clicking noise under acceleration or from going reverse to forward? i'm not sure if its the slipper, diff or the actual gears. thanks! I have a slipper clutch as well...
Old 10-22-2010, 03:55 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by littlebuddha View Post
anyone had problems with brushless power - causing a snapping/clicking noise under acceleration or from going reverse to forward? i'm not sure if its the slipper, diff or the actual gears. thanks! I have a slipper clutch as well...
If you still have the stock plastic rear diff halfs, that would be the first thing I would look at. After that, I have over time, running 6.5 brushless, seen the idler gears that go to the driveshaft strip out.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:35 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by igyrigged View Post
If you still have the stock plastic rear diff halfs, that would be the first thing I would look at. After that, I have over time, running 6.5 brushless, seen the idler gears that go to the driveshaft strip out.
thanks for the reply igyrigged, i had actually gotten this buggy used and i'm very glad to say that the previous owner had replaced the rear diff with what seems like steel outdrives

it has front one-way as well. I installed rear gpm steel universals, and aluminum hexes.

how loose would you run the slipper clutch? I have tightened the nut to where about 4 grooves showing in the screw.

it was running fine for the first 5 minutes and then the car seemed to slip while accelerating - but even more while going in reverse. Checked and tightened the rear diff i will have to check the idler like you recommended.

It almost seems like the teeth are skipping when I go from a quick reverse to foreward on carpet
The teeth are just too wide i think for it to skip, plus the drive train sounds just fine when off the ground and is smooth and no broken parts when i tightened the diffs.

- so either the slipper is not working as it should, or its something wrong with the slipper or i heard that sometimes the pin in the propeller joints for the shaft can also skip, but i still dont know whats causing the skips/snaps under acceleration - reverse/forward- hopefully its just the slipper working haha.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:28 AM
Tech Adept

...It almost seems like the teeth are skipping when I go from a quick reverse to foreward on carpet ...
Take a very close look at the gears in your buggy. What you're describing is a worn out main or idler shaft gear which seems to be a problem with a DF03 and a high powered motor. I "borrowed" this picture from a thread on the TamiyaClub site (thanks TA-Mark):

The top two shafts are Tamiya parts and are worn out. The bottom one is a Five Stars FS7038 hardened steel.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:54 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by stu22 View Post
Take a very close look at the gears in your buggy. What you're describing is a worn out main or idler shaft gear which seems to be a problem with a DF03 and a high powered motor. I "borrowed" this picture from a thread on the TamiyaClub site (thanks TA-Mark):

The top two shafts are Tamiya parts and are worn out. The bottom one is a Five Stars FS7038 hardened steel.
thanks for the input! is there any place to buy these? i'm getting one anyways as it seems like a good investment. i'm having a hard time finding it online.

i'll see what i find when i open up the bugggy...

I only wish i had loosened the slipper more- as i went from a stock straight to 4000kv brushless
Old 10-22-2010, 10:19 AM
Tech Adept

thanks for the input! is there any place to buy these? i'm getting one anyways as it seems like a good investment. i'm having a hard time finding it online.

i'll see what i find when i open up the bugggy...

I only wish i had loosened the slipper more- as i went from a stock straight to 4000kv brushless
To be honest I really don't know if the things are still available or where to get one. The "weak" drive train was one of the reasons i got a DB01 instead of a DF03.

I do know of people running their DF03 with the 9T EzRun systems without any problems (I believe they're 4300kV.)
Old 11-19-2010, 03:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

well, guess I'm done with my DF-03MS, cracked the second chassis behind the aluminum plate to keep it from cracking, sold the whole thing that night for about 160.....Had fun with it but moving on to other things...and no...not a Durango...
Old 11-19-2010, 08:31 PM
Tech Regular

sorry to hear you are moving on. i still have mine but i think its just gonna be a shelf queen. or something to bring out to have guys guess what it is.

if i start racing 4wd, i think i'll head to a DB01, or the new caster buggy.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:40 PM
Tech Adept

hi guys, finally got around to replacing the melted diff halves and the car runs great- had a couple of runs so far so here is hoping that it holds out. It runs much smoother than the b44 and xxx-4 over the grass bumps - very plush suspension with the trf dampers although it may just be the setup.

i had a problem with clicking from the front one way- and i opened it up to see that the gears were not greased and had worn out at certain places. I noticed that one of the 10mm x.02 shims is also missing so i'm hoping its a problem with not having the shim.

Since i did not build it(got it used) i need to know if in the one-way instructions they reccomend using one shim on each side? or is it both like in the manual for the front diff?

if so does anyone have a couple of extra 10mm shims lying around? would be happy to pay. Thanks!
Old 11-20-2010, 10:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by stu22 View Post
No problems stu22. I've now sold two of my three DF03s and the third one (boxart Dark Impact with a FS7038 mainshaft) is disused. I got so sick of buying new slipper sets and not being able to get the Five Stars shafts easily.

Replaced my DF03s with HPI Cyber 10Bs. These Cybers are great and haven't looked back.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:45 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mjderstine View Post
sorry to hear you are moving on. i still have mine but i think its just gonna be a shelf queen. or something to bring out to have guys guess what it is.

if i start racing 4wd, i think i'll head to a DB01, or the new caster buggy.

Mate this is a beautiful thing. Tell me why you are giving up on it? I think the dbo1 with its belts will give you more issues.

BTW rc champ in japan has the shafts. I got 2 from them recently.

Whats got me stuffed with my df03 is the drive cups. I cant think of a way of fixing them to be reliable. Does anyone know of a drive cup that lasts? I compared the hotbodies d4 cups but I believe they are just a little too different to fit.

edit Iam surprised you are running the stock mid shaft drive cups. I guess you cant run a alloy one up the front because of the one way.

Last edited by FatBattery; 11-21-2010 at 12:47 PM. Reason: comment on drive cups
Old 11-21-2010, 05:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

and also tamiya is coming out with a 502x which is shaft driven, which PROBABLY means shaft is better than belt for offroad or maybe not.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:00 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by cheehtae View Post
and also tamiya is coming out with a 502x which is shaft driven, which PROBABLY means shaft is better than belt for offroad or maybe not.
No probably just means they can sell more shaft drives. Belts and ball diffs are high maintanance. I wish they would do a option for one of there neat gear diffs they have for there 502x. Would make it a nice buggy. People just always want to see somthing new. To give them a reason for buying a new buggy. I do anyway.

It wont ballance right with lipo. I wish they would of done somthing interesting like the df03. Maybe shaft drive offset with a stickpack laying beside it. Df03 still has the best motor position I think. Thats what I find facinating about tamiya's all the gears and shafts and pulleys.Funky little machines.

http://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/beg..._img/ta03f.jpg

Check that out... front motor belt 4wd. Only tamiya could of wanted to do that. Goter have 1!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.